E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > '07 335i with 73k miles. Is extended warranty necessary? Maintainence Questions.

08-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

'07 335i with 73k miles. Is extended warranty necessary? Maintainence Questions.

Hello,
I recently became a proud owner of the 07 bmw 335i with sports package & premium package. I purchased it from a private party. I recently went to the dealer to find out about the warranties they offer. They lured me into getting an "gold plus" extended warranty from "fidelity warranties" for $4k+ with $100 deductible everytime i make a visit. The car alreadyhas the fuel pump replaced under open recall. It had the turbo changed around 35k miles.
I'm not sure if I did the right thing. Does these cars have common issues that would make it even to get the warranty?
They offered me a 60 day cancellation if I choose to cancel the warranty.

Is the warranty they offer really worth it? Did anyone have any hands on experience with fidelity?

On the other hand, I drive almost 700 miles evey week. The things i dislike is the road noise. The car has two rfts and the non rfts on 18' wheels. Does it make significant difference of the runflats are replaced with non runflats?
There is soem vibration when i drive around 60mph. I was told that the wheels have bends in them. Is it worth to get the bend off the rims? Does that really work?

One mechanic suggests that the suspension should be replaced every 70k miles is that really true? My car's suspension is very stiff. I dont know what to expect as this is my first bmw.

because, I crossed the 70k mark, does the car need any sort of oil flushing like transmission, coolant, break etc;?

Is there a maintainance schedule that I need to follow when it reaches 75k miles?

My mind is boggled with all these questions. I need you expert advise/ suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Congratulations!

The high pressure fuel pump is covered for 10 years through the dealer due to massive failures and a recall.

Maintenance schedule:
http://blog.bavauto.com/9906/bavarian-ottos-ultimate-maintenance-schedules/

One note: I changed my diff fluid at 50k on the clock but it looked clean.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkalyanapu View Post
Hello,
I recently became a proud owner of the 07 bmw 335i with sports package & premium package. I purchased it from a private party. I recently went to the dealer to find out about the warranties they offer. They lured me into getting an "gold plus" extended warranty from "fidelity warranties" for $4k+ with $100 deductible everytime i make a visit. The car alreadyhas the fuel pump replaced under open recall. It had the turbo changed around 35k miles.
I'm not sure if I did the right thing. Does these cars have common issues that would make it even to get the warranty?

Is the warranty they offer really worth it? Did anyone have any hands on experience with fidelity?

On the other hand, I drive almost 700 miles evey week. The things i dislike is the road noise. The car has two rfts and the non rfts on 18' wheels. Does it make significant difference of the runflats are replaced with non runflats?
There is soem vibration when i drive around 60mph. I was told that the wheels have bends in them. Is it worth to get the bend off the rims? Does that really work?

One mechanic suggests that the suspension should be replaced every 70k miles is that really true? My car's suspension is very stiff. I dont know what to expect as this is my first bmw.

because, I crossed the 70k mark, does the car need any sort of oil flushing like transmission, coolant, break etc;?

Is there a maintainance schedule that I need to follow when it reaches 75k miles?

My mind is boggled with all these questions. I need you expert advise/ suggestions.
Congrads on the car! with the 335's, the Fuel pump is the biggest issue, so it that was already replaced you should be OK, but keep an eye on it.

road noise from the tires or general "wind" noise? my RFT's dont seem any louder than any other tires I have had. I would recomend getting 4 equal tires, but that is just me.

stiff suspension is good. since you have the sport package, the suspension is even tighter. I have a 328i w/ sport and an average person would call my car a "rough ride" between the suspension and RFTs, however, this is how I want my car to ride. I dont care that its rough over some bumps, since taking a corner in a BMW is awesome thanks for the suspension. Never heard of them being repalced at 70k

One other thing you may want to look into is if your car has an oil cooler or not. Most sport packaged cars came with them, but not all. I would highly recomend getting one retro-fitted if your car does not have one.

Keep changing that oil!

08-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Check this site out, you pick your car and can sort tires by noise, handling, etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the advice.
I'm so happy with my car every time I drive

how do i know if mine came with oil cooler or not? like, where can I find it? How can that be of a help than the cars with out oil cooler?

Also, as I asked about the warranty, how many of you had gone with extended warranty on your cars and was it worth it?

Also, I'm planning on doing a carbon fiber wrap on the steering wheel as the plastic is peeling off. Is there any better alternative to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.
I'm so happy with my car every time I drive

how do i know if mine came with oil cooler or not? like, where can I find it? How can that be of a help than the cars with out oil cooler?

Also, as I asked about the warranty, how many of you had gone with extended warranty on your cars and was it worth it?

Also, I'm planning on doing a carbon fiber wrap on the steering wheel as the plastic is peeling off. Is there any better alternative to that.

Not exactly where the oil cooler is located, I dont have a 335, i know there are slots or opening in the wheel well to get the oil cooler air, however not sure where it is actually located at.

go to "howthingswork.com" or wikepdia or something, and look up "turbocharged" engines, and how the turbo actaully works.

... you will quickly realize why an oil cooler will help in every aspect when running a turbo. Turbo's ememy is heat. more heat=less power.
      08-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep

If the plastic is peeling they will replace it under warranty. That is common.

I had mine replaced as well as the door handle plastics.

For major warranty issues over the past five years I have had one issue: had the valvetronic motor replaced replaced one time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Hello,

If you already have 73k miles and you drive 700 miles a week the warranty will only last you about 10 months, so you paid 4k+ for 10 months? and also if you want to keep the warranty i'd go with the 1 year extension (or 2 at most) and save myself some money.

And seems like you paid about 600+ more then people usually pay for extended warranties:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=420104&page=9

My friend just got his 84months/100k Gold warranty for $3,520 (including tax)

Last edited by M BROK3; 08-29-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

my bad, there is a small correction. I end up paying $5072 and the warranty is gold plus that will cover till 118k miles with $100 deductible. IS it still worth for the car? I have a 60 day time frame to cancel my policy if need be. However, because the car is out of warranty, the price is going very high
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #10
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
my bad, there is a small correction. I end up paying $5072 and the warranty is gold plus that will cover till 118k miles with $100 deductible. IS it still worth for the car? I have a 60 day time frame to cancel my policy if need be. However, because the car is out of warranty, the price is going very high
My understanding is BMW would only sell powertrain warranty on out-of-warranty cars, to buy the better plans you had to purchase before warranty was over.

How did you get a BMW gold? Or is it NOT the BMW plan, but perhaps an independent company agreement that the dealer is selling?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

its not the bmw plan but it is from the dealer through fidelity warranty services.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

Ouch, that doesn't seem like a great price. I refinanced my 07 335i auto loan with Penfed to 2.6% and they offered me the Route 66 warranty. It seems pretty solid. In your circumstance it would likely be the program with 36k miles or 3 years with no deductible and roadside assistance included for $1850. I don't think you have to be a Penfed customer to buy the warranty.

https://www.penfed.org/productsandra...lbreakdown.asp

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
its not the bmw plan but it is from the dealer through fidelity warranty services.
OK, that explains the price as well, Fidelity is well known to be priced way above most other contract providers.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
You are buying an aftermarket warranty anyway so might as well just buy one that is a little cheaper, alot of dealerships offer aftermarket warranties so you should def shop around during the 60 day cancellation period you have.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic404 View Post
Ouch, that doesn't seem like a great price. I refinanced my 07 335i auto loan with Penfed to 2.6% and they offered me the Route 66 warranty. It seems pretty solid. In your circumstance it would likely be the program with 36k miles or 3 years with no deductible and roadside assistance included for $1850. I don't think you have to be a Penfed customer to buy the warranty.

https://www.penfed.org/productsandra...lbreakdown.asp
I might give that a try. It's a way lot cheaper. My only concern is do they have any dealer accept and honor the warranty or is it only with specific dealers.

One more thing is my current warranty covers all the parts till 118k miles on my car.
Does the Route 66 cover all the engine, trans and acessories too?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did anyone have good experience with warranty direct? Their quote is cheaper than fidelity. I also contacted route 66 and AAA. AAA comes with the next best price. I was inclined towards Warranty Direct as they cover minimal "wear and tear" related breakdowns. Route66 offers only till 100k miles. I want 48k mile warranty.
Appreciate 0