E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Review: Lake County Ulti-Mit

08-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Review: Lake County Ulti-Mit

Ulti-Mit

Here is the newest in car washing mits. I got it a couple weeks ago from George at Detailed Image as a tester but was delayed in using it due to the horrible every other day rain Cleveland experienced until this week.

Finally got the chance to give my car the care it deserves but was still a little on the fence about a foam mit. From all my reading I was told that sheepskin mits were about the only route one should go it they want a swirl free car. My problem with the sheepskin mits is that they fell apart within several washes, which is obviously really annoying and I mentioned my frustration to George. He then offered me the chance to try one of his newest products, the Ulti-Mit.

On to the Review.

At first glance the alarm in your head screams "foam sponge, don't even think of touching your car with that" but once you actually feel the mit you realize how soft, pliable and plush the foam feels. The front is a grid structure with deep grooves to help pull contaminants into the inner part of the mit so your paint is left unharmed during the wash and the back of the mit contains a gentle scrubbing surface that would only be recommended for use on the bumper, windows, and tough to remove items. This mit is a far far distant cousin of the paint ruining yellow dog bone sponge.

The first dunk into my wash bucket and I could feel the mit sucking in massive amounts of water and suds unlike any other sponge I've used before. It literally took about a 1/4 inch of water out of the bucket. The first pass on the paint and you could feel how soft the mit glided over the car and a gentle squeeze released Niagra Falls amounts of soapy suds. The mit held enough water that you could easily do larger sections of your car without the worries of harming the paint.

The only downside I noticed as of now. There is no handle or section to grab onto inside the mit. Due to the mit holding large amounts of water it gets relatively heavy and at times I felt I had to pay a little more attention to keeping the mit on my hand. It never feel off but took a little getting used to since sheepskin mits have a band around your wrist to hold the mit in place.

Overall Lake County produced another great product. I don't know if it could ever fully replace a good sheepskin mit, but it's definitely close behind. It also has the upside of not falling apart every 5-10 washes. Most of us wash our cars 1-2 times a week and if you add that up you'll be replacing a sheepskin mit about every month or 2. At $15.99 your getting close to spending roughly $150 a year just on your wash mits, that is if you can wash your car by hand year round.

I'd like to thank George for allowing me to give the Ulti-Mit a test run, and it will now become a standard in my garage used along side the sheepskin mits. And I thought I'd never own a sponge again.

-Garrett

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Sorry, I'm whoring my own thread, Post 1,001 YEAH!!

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing your experience darkcloud. That thing caught my eye also and it's good to hear some real world feedback. I trust anything from Lake Country.
      08-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

interesting I also get frustrated with sheep skin mitts they only last for 6 washes for me before they start falling apart I may just have to try this out...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

I get the same problem with my sheepskin mitts. I wash my car at least twice a week and have gone through three mitts in four months. Thanks for the info, I will have to get in touch with George.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

If your sheepskin mitt only lasts a few washes before breaking apart, you are using way too much forces when you wash. Let the sud do the dirty work. My sheepskin mitt last 1+ year and I wash my car at least twice a month.
      08-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

Is it from the force? I let the mitt glide across the car, granted I catch myself pushing once in a while but not very often. Maybe I am just washing it too much. I rotate the mitts and never wash anything but the paint with them. I am not complaining though, I would spend double to keep my car looking good. I consider it a part of the cost of owning a beautiful car...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperelite View Post
Is it from the force? I let the mitt glide across the car, granted I catch myself pushing once in a while but not very often. Maybe I am just washing it too much. I rotate the mitts and never wash anything but the paint with them. I am not complaining though, I would spend double to keep my car looking good. I consider it a part of the cost of owning a beautiful car...
Are you sure you let it glide over the paint surface? I use alot of sud and just slap a bunch of sud on the paint surface and come back the second time once the sud works it magic. You said you find yourself pushing once in a while so that could be the case and you not realized how often you do that.

I hope you dont throw your sheepskin mitt into the washer after you use it, I just rinse the mitt by hand and squeeze it dry and let the rest dry out naturally in my garage.

Hey, I am by no mean an expert in detailing car like picus but I found that a sheepskin mitt for washing and a chamois for drying works for me. Look at my car which is now 27 months old in this thread
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75271
      08-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
txusa03
Major General
Rep

This is the mitt I use for washing and they last a long time. See website for more detail

http://www.premiumautocare.com/washi...-your-car.html
Attached Images