E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 engine and meth help please from the USA!

10-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

M57 engine and meth help please from the USA!

Morning all, well it is in the uk! Anyway my question is I have a 08 e90 330d which has a dpf delete, k&n filter, swirl flap blanks with a remap. My car did get a Dyno recently where it made 269hp and about 600nm or 440ft ibs ish of torque! Which the car pulls well and I'm happy with.

My question is about meth because I took the car to Germany (nurburgring) two moths ago, I have a snap on diagnostic machine as I work on hgv's so I use tools and diagnostics equiptment a lot! Well while there my intake temp got to around 100c and coolant temp reached 112c which i think is very hot.

Does meth reduce intake temps a lot? I'm after personal experiences with this. I have found a devils own fit I might buy and fit. Is it easy to fit is it safe? What sort of power increase have you seen?

I'm not new to diesels at all but am new to meth kits so would like as mic advise as possible as the USA seems to use meth more than the uk. I don't get a lot of response from the uk section

Thanks Dan
      10-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Meth seems to be used much more with the fuel injected 335's
N54/N55 motors.

Those are very high coolant temps. I always wished we could see what ours got up to.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Brad335d
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Garage List
Yes the methanol/water has a significant cooling effect on the combustion temperature. It however is not as profound as that of Nitrous Oxide. The methanol itself offers a slight cooling as it is alcohol, however it is the water in the mixture that when it undergoes the phase change from liquid to gas that absorbs heat thereby lowering combustion temperatures.

Here's a good article someone posed earlier on the site:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...h/viewall.html

You might consider searching the various Diesel Truck forums such as the Dodge Cummins, Ford Power Stroke, and Chevy/GMC Duramax. The diesel truck aftermarket is very popular in America. These sites will have more information than here on the use of methanol/water as well as other fuel supplements like Nitrous Oxide and Propane injection.
-Not Stock
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT View Post
...My question is about meth because I took the car to Germany (nurburgring) two moths ago, I have a snap on diagnostic machine as I work on hgv's so I use tools and diagnostics equiptment a lot! Well while there my intake temp got to around 100c and coolant temp reached 112c which i think is very hot.

Does meth reduce intake temps a lot? I'm after personal experiences with this. I have found a devils own fit I might buy and fit. Is it easy to fit is it safe? What sort of power increase have you seen? ...
A poster named TDIwyse is our data collection expert (g*d) here. He posts more often on another forum. Here is a link to a post he did on intake air temps with/without meth/h2o: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=59

The entire thread is incredibly informative (but not qutie so much to a UK guy with DPF delete, as there's a lot on dpf/regen).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

yes TDi is our GURU hear on this side of the pond!!
Appreciate 0