E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW i8 to be name of VED production car. No M model.

12-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

that sucks no M version

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
Audi Super SUV Q7 V12 Tdi is slower than X6 ... lol

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464910
Maybe we can call it the Audi Q7 HD, and pull a commercial boat down the road with it!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

i think this is good news. M tuned car without the M-tax that we all know and hate.

good for bmw for making a performance car honoring themselves, and not just the motorsports division.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #26
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
So we were told there would be a CF roof, but late in the development it was not feasible - big deal. Scott has been a great addition to the inside info for this site
Big boy, too many fumes being inhaled at Clemson I see....

look at the thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348217

To summarize

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Summary:
  • More muscular appearance than standard 1-series
  • Trapezoid grille flanked by two intakes to allow extra brake cooling
  • Six piston brakes
  • High performance intercooler ????
  • Sportier looking headlights than standard 1-series
  • Small lip spoilers above brake duct inlets to provide extra air flow and downforce
  • The front wings of the car are massaged slightly to accomodate the wider track. Rear end is also wider.
  • Standard 18" 5-spoke wheels with optional 18" Competition wheels (18" will be the optimium wheel size for the M1)
  • Signature M side vent
  • Broader wheel arches to accomodate larger track
  • "Ducktail" CSL style rear trunk (integrated spoiler)
  • Rear valance/diffuser area takes its direction from the standard 135i but with open ducts for aerodynamic purpose
  • Signature M quad exhaust pipes
  • Reinforced carbon fiber roof
This is just to start. Maybe you need to row your boat a little more and think about it before you talk. Either way, I do appreciate SCOTT's information, but again, he isn't the final word.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #27
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunro View Post
Not everything that SCOTT says is written in stone anyway. Look at the 1M: there were many many things that SCOTT had told us would be a part of the 1M and they are nowhere to be seen. Granted he provides a lot of useful information, but he can be wrong, and not uncommonly is. Not to say that there will be an M version of this car, but I've learned to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

I'm sure the discordance in the 1M was a result of time and money constraints, but it's merely an example of a marketing guy giving us details on the final decisions of a car. Again, I do appreciate the information SCOTT provides, but it's not the final word...
Quote:

look at the thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348217

To summarize

This is just to start. Maybe you need to row your boat a little more and think about it before you talk. Either way, I do appreciate SCOTT's information, but again, he isn't the final word.
I think people just have to understand the above. It is correct at the time of disclosure, things may change any time without notice .
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #28
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
So no M supercar to rival SLS, 911, R8, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, LF-A, ZR1. Only BMW has no supercar, and this is something that even GIRLS know.
This is what a girlfriend said yesterday as one of the friends came on a BMW: "I love the R8. If BMW had such a car, they are the only that don't have one!"
Well, you have to also figure that the V8 R8 is only 1 second faster around the Nurburgring than the M3.

Kinda puts things in perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #29
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

BMW has started to disappoint me as of late. First there's the possibility of the next M3 being having no clutch pedal, then the fail of the GTS and 1M, now no supercar when everyone else has one out? They need to get their shit together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdinamo View Post
BMW makes supercars for everyday people; The 1m, m3, m5, m6, x5m, and x6m.
If you want something more exclusive, then look into buying an Alpina or a Hartge BMW.
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read
      12-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #30
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

i would say i'm really upset, but i'll never make enough money to own a super car. so i'll just look forward to an M3 and hope they dont ruin that
      12-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #31
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

There is a hole in the BMW line as far as a "uber" M car or halo supercar. The M6 while a V10 bada$$ never could compete with R8 or 911 turbo, GTr, etc. I repeat myself but the DNA is there. Offer "regular type" M3's at 70k loaded or so. Then as Porsche or audi does offer a S/C version breaking the 500hp mark at say 80-85K. of course it would carry other enhancements such a better brakes and perhaps recaro type seats etc. I don't like the fact that a mustang GT now can perform at the same level as a M3 mostly, and the GT500 offers 550hp and the 1M runs numbers waay to close to M3 to justify price jump. This "E8" or whatever will not attract my money.

GTR is now the leader for the money where before it was the M3. m division/bmw seems not to care. They are here to make money which I get BUT my other car is an X6. If I defect with an R8 or the like I wont stay in the BMW family with my DD. So they will lose on both ends. The F32 if done with 450hp will become 2nd best out of the gate. It needs to target the GTR. If it takes a "black" or GTS version with 10-15K price jump from "regular" F32 M3 then so be it. Or what about an M4 with the 4.4L TT V8 at 550 hp? Hmm.

Has the M division reached it apex? Not trying to flame, just want m to lead, not follow. Who aspire's to be 2nd best? Is that going to be bmw's M division new logo?

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #32
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Lots of good discussion going on about the future of BMW in these forums and others. Everyone rants on (including me) about how much of a disgrace the X5/6 M and 1M are. But the fact is working at a dealership I see the unfortunate truth everyday. The Red E92 M3 with cloth manual seats, 18inch rims, carbon roof and 6spd manual sits on the lot forever, and we can't keep any X6 Ms in stock. And simply put if you gave the BMW forums a blank sheet of paper and told us to design BMW's next "M" car you'd get what amounts to a front engined Porsche GT3 RS haha. But when the time came to put our deposits down all of a sudden we'd be complaining this 75 thousand dollar car has no sat nav or heated seats and the car's too loud. In truth the customers (ie; ourselves) have trained BMW into developing cars that WILL SELL.

And the M divisions job is getting harder all the time because sports cars (as a whole) are getting better and better, so much so the performance envelope between models is becoming too close to be reasonable. I think M is realizing that and it simply concentrating on cars that maintain as much of the Motorsport DNA as possible while being sustainable and profitable. Why push for a car that does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds when you can build one that does a 3.8 and carries an "ED" badge and costs 12k less to make?
Sorry for the long post, and I'm not really sure what I'm even trying to say. I guess after being with the company for a few years I just thought I'd try and maybe offer a bit of insight I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #33
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you need to row your boat a little more and think about it before you talk.
What's with the hate? No one is spewing the usual, speculative/anti-Scott diarrhea, so keep the thread clean.

Seeing as that you drive a meth injected 135i, I'd say you recently graduated from college yourself, maybe 5-6 years ago. No one is judging what you have on your profile, so don't judge him.

Rampant douchebaggery is why BMW drivers are hated. Do the rest of us a favor, and refrain from over-inflating the stereotype, and your ego by knocking other forum members.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Not everything that SCOTT says is written in stone anyway. Look at the 1M: there were many many things that SCOTT had told us would be a part of the 1M and they are nowhere to be seen. Granted he provides a lot of useful information, but he can be wrong, and not uncommonly is. Not to say that there will be an M version of this car, but I've learned to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

I'm sure the discordance in the 1M was a result of time and money constraints, but it's merely an example of a marketing guy giving us details on the final decisions of a car. Again, I do appreciate the information SCOTT provides, but it's not the final word...
I'm going to back jmunro. At the 1m predrive, several of us that are forum members wondered among ourselves if Scott26 was present. At dinner I asked the direct question if Scott26 was present. Answer -No.

Another person then asked if Scott 26 is an insider that posts for BMW. This drew a ton of laughs. One of the M people went so far as to say that they don't know who Scott26 is, but that they'd like to meet him (lol) because a lot of his info is not correct. He did acknowledge that quite a bit of the info is correct but the recommendation was to take the info from Scott26 with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #35
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejdm View Post
Lots of good discussion going on about the future of BMW in these forums and others. Everyone rants on (including me) about how much of a disgrace the X5/6 M and 1M are. But the fact is working at a dealership I see the unfortunate truth everyday. The Red E92 M3 with cloth manual seats, 18inch rims, carbon roof and 6spd manual sits on the lot forever, and we can't keep any X6 Ms in stock. And simply put if you gave the BMW forums a blank sheet of paper and told us to design BMW's next "M" car you'd get what amounts to a front engined Porsche GT3 RS haha. But when the time came to put our deposits down all of a sudden we'd be complaining this 75 thousand dollar car has no sat nav or heated seats and the car's too loud. In truth the customers (ie; ourselves) have trained BMW into developing cars that WILL SELL.

And the M divisions job is getting harder all the time because sports cars (as a whole) are getting better and better, so much so the performance envelope between models is becoming too close to be reasonable. I think M is realizing that and it simply concentrating on cars that maintain as much of the Motorsport DNA as possible while being sustainable and profitable. Why push for a car that does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds when you can build one that does a 3.8 and carries an "ED" badge and costs 12k less to make?
Sorry for the long post, and I'm not really sure what I'm even trying to say. I guess after being with the company for a few years I just thought I'd try and maybe offer a bit of insight I guess.
Great post. The first paragraph (sadly) hits the nail on the head. And the part that I bolded is the worst part because that's exactly how I'd want my E92 (but in Space Gray) and since there are so few people who want that... they become a rarity.
      12-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #36
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I'm going to back jmunro. At the 1m predrive, several of us that are forum members wondered among ourselves if Scott26 was present. At dinner I asked the direct question if Scott26 was present. Answer -No.

Another person then asked if Scott 26 is an insider that posts for BMW. This drew a ton of laughs. One of the M people went so far as to say that they don't know who Scott26 is, but that they'd like to meet him (lol) because a lot of his info is not correct. He did acknowledge that quite a bit of the info is correct but the recommendation was to take the info from Scott26 with a grain of salt.
100% agree about that.
I was referencing the unwarranted user-bashing on another post.

Probably my lack of caffeine speaking, but i just get so tired of all the hate on the bimmer forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #37
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Very odd. I recall reading early posts (before the release of the E9X M3) by SCOTT26 where he talked about going to various photo shoots and working on different BMW marketing events and tasks. I did not dig through those threads but I believe he explicitly stated he works for BMW. Perhaps he works for a company that works closely with BMW rather than directly for BMW.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #38
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejdm View Post

My last car (E90) spent a LOT of time at the dealer so I got to know the service and sales staff, they all told me the same thing. The most worrying news to me was the fact that manual cars sit on the lot for so long that the dealership now refuses to order any for their inventory. You can order one for yourself, of course, that's what I did but you can consider yourself lucky if you see one sitting out ready for a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #39
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Quote:
MINI , BMW, BMWi, BMW M , Rolls-Royce Motor Cars...
hmmm... so on that logic "i" and "M" will never mix. or will they?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasovan View Post
Quote:
MINI , BMW, BMWi, BMW M , Rolls-Royce Motor Cars...
hmmm... so on that logic "i" and "M" will never mix. or will they?

Why would you assume that? This (rumored i8) will be a hybrid model. Nothing to say that M couldn't be commissioned to make a gasoline engine model and tune it right? As a matter of fact, we should write BMW and request that it get the M treatment.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #41
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Very odd. I recall reading early posts (before the release of the E9X M3) by SCOTT26 where he talked about going to various photo shoots and working on different BMW marketing events and tasks. I did not dig through those threads but I believe he explicitly stated he works for BMW. Perhaps he works for a company that works closely with BMW rather than directly for BMW.
I did not say anything about whom he worked for. Please don't infer more than I have written.. I am not bashing Scott26, nor saying he does not provide useful information, simply that one should take ALL of what he says as gospel truth. Review jmunros followup post 28 in this thread where he explicitly highlighted items that did not occur on the 1M. In the summary, about 60% of Scott26s post came to fruition. This is not to say that the items NEVER were to occur, or that the information was not factually correct at the time it was written. Much of what Scott26 reports is great info, and he appears to be a very good resource for this list.. however... people here also should not hang on every single word and expect that every single item WILL occur. I am sure that MANY design ideas come up as vehicles are being developed, but some make it and some are scrapped in the process.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-27-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #42
lewis42189
Rep
Drives: e92

i think it kind of looks like the audi from irobot!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #43
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

Someone told me that GTR's first year maintenance was $8,000... Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #44
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosan View Post
Someone told me that GTR's first year maintenance was $8,000... Is that true?
i've heard that too. something like tranny fluid or oil is super expensive? never heard it confirmed though