Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > VMR Quality (Paint/Strength) comments

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Shoey5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

VMR Quality (Paint/Strength) comments

Ok, I'm close to deciding on some wheels from VMR but I've been doing some reading and I've seen a lot of posts about people complaining about the paint chipping/peeling. Quite a few comments from users who experience this problem after only a few days on the car. Seems you either get a good set or a bad set.

I've also read some comments from VMR owners who griped about the wheels strength after running into what they claim a few minor pot holes.

Ok I've also read lots about VMR's customer service in that they will replace the rims in such cases of paint peeling which is all good except for the trouble of swapping the tire/rim another time. I'd rather get wheels that don't have the issue to the extent of the comments of read.

Any comments here from owners of VMR owners in regards to these to issues? Honest answers please, ie, paint peeling, chipping at all? and strength on day to day street driving?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

i have only had mine on for a week and have put about 400 miles on them, they are good so far but i have not run into any bad roads. I will do my first wash this week as i remember EAS saying its best to use soap and water regularly. I am afraid to use any cleaners on the wheels as i have heard too many stories. VMR is really nice and stand behind their product and i live right by them so i know they will take care of me.
      04-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have had 3 different sets of VMR's over the past two years, none of them gave me any problems at all. No bends, peeling, chipping etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Shoey5
Private
Canada
Rep

Should have searched before posting, these guys don't sound too happy!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ing+CSL+wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I can definitely vouch for the quality of the wheel and paint finish. We have worked with Velocity for over 4.5 years now and they are among the best cast replicas I have seen. Velocity guarantees the finish for 1 year and based on customer feedback, these hold up extremely well for daily use. Just make sure to coat them with wax to make cleaning easier when you first install.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

Shoey,

Its definitely good to see that you are doing your homework before buying wheel & tires. The peeling & chipping issues you read of can be one of many reasons - from shipping to mounting to balancing, manufacturing defect, or simply user error, etc. Regardless of what the issue might be, we examine each one carefully and offer technical assistance and/or warranty service if necessary.

At the end of the day, opinions will come from both sides of the fence - from satisfied or unsatisfied customers. You'll even see responses (positive and negative) from people who never owned or seen a set of VMR Wheels . Even with a <0.25% return rate, with 4 wheels per car it means 1 in 100 will run into some sort of issue during the warranty period. But as you can see in the posting history, we are also service oriented to make sure everyone is taken care of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey5 View Post
Ok, I'm close to deciding on some wheels from VMR but I've been doing some reading and I've seen a lot of posts about people complaining about the paint chipping/peeling. Quite a few comments from users who experience this problem after only a few days on the car. Seems you either get a good set or a bad set.

I've also read some comments from VMR owners who griped about the wheels strength after running into what they claim a few minor pot holes.

Ok I've also read lots about VMR's customer service in that they will replace the rims in such cases of paint peeling which is all good except for the trouble of swapping the tire/rim another time. I'd rather get wheels that don't have the issue to the extent of the comments of read.

Any comments here from owners of VMR owners in regards to these to issues? Honest answers please, ie, paint peeling, chipping at all? and strength on day to day street driving?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

i ran over a sidewalk (... dont ask the details ) and the 19'' csl reps sustained not much more than a scrape on the paint...
it literally fell 3-4 inches at about 20-25mph...

i think that's pretty good in my book.

that's my experience anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Shoey5
Private
Canada
Rep

Hmm, the reason I started this thread is when I was looking at pictures of the rims I started coming across a lot of people complaining about the paint on the rims being very soft and peeling/chipping. I've read quite a few posts from people who experienced problems within a week of having the rims on their car.

To be fair to VMR, every one of them commented that they got a replacement rim which is all good but I couldn't be bothered switching rims after I put them on my car.

Not sure if VMR had some quality issues at one point and then fixed them or if it's still an ongoing problem. I'm still thining about getting the rims but I've started looking at other options and looking at options if I go with VMR to keep the rims in good condition, spending a few extra dollars to have them poweder coated out of the box is one option. I don't know why VMR wouldn't just do that in the first place, I think people wouldn't mind spending a few hundred more on a set of wheels for improved durability.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Peter@VMRWheels
United_States
Rep

Some of our wheels are in fact powder coated (V713). If you are interested in powder coating a different set, we can help you with that as well. If available I can take some of the wheels with scuffs/finish issues courtesy of Fedex and powdercoat them. Most likely at a slightly reduced price depending on what I have.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

do you warranty against peeling?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
Peter@VMRWheels
United_States
Rep

Of course! Even though it doesn't happen nearly as much as some claim, and I'm the one processing warranty claims

Since your local to us, you have nothing to worry about
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #12
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

my personal experience with vmr wheels is fine so far.
paint seems to hold against tire dresser i put on from time to time, altho i dont use any wheel cleaners. i do use a fairly rough brush on the wheels i picked up at target, but it seems okay. i have scuffed the wheel a bit by my mistake, but the paint peeling from that scuff hasn't spread (yet?)
this reminds me i was supposed to send peter the pix of "excessive" weights used to balance the wheels... guess i'll do that tomorrow since the pix are on the work computer
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #13
Peter@VMRWheels
United_States
Rep

Its easier if you drove here, we'll just throw it on the balancer and reduce the # of weights. The heavy part of the tire was probably matched up to the heavy part of the wheel, so I think it just requires some rotation. Its an eyesore but most tire shops balance so that the wheels/tires spin true.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
I have been very pleased with the service, quality, and looks of my vmr v710s to this day. But in all honesty, there has been chipping issues within the first month when I had the wheels installed, but that was most likely due to harsh mounting and balancing, not the wheels itself. However, I have seen that if you were to ever curb the vmr wheels that are powder coated, the finish will come off inbig pieces and can ruin the look, especially true on matte black.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Peter@VMRWheels
United_States
Rep

^^ Yea, aluminum is reflective. But fortunately, black touch up paint is easy to come by at Autozone
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT

My comments:

My experience with VMR has been great. I have had the CSL reps for a while, and one month before the 12 month warranty expired, I experienced some slight peeling on all 4 wheels. I promptly contacted VMR and I was given 4 brand new wheels under warranty! WOW!!! And now its been 5 months since the new set, and they look damn good to me.

Only thing I wanna complain about it the fact that they discontinued the et30 rear offset (which I had, rather aggressively might I add), and they gave me et33 instead!! Its cool. I just need some 3mm spacers now!
      04-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
+1 on GREAT experience with VMR!

The guys are very helpful and the wheels look simply amazing on my car!
Had Gunmetal V710's for almost 2 weeks now. Not a single complaint, other than with my self for being a cheap-ass and getting General Exclaim UHP tires. Should have gotten something better. General's have pretty thin sidewalls and offer no rim protection whatsoever, so every time i hit even a smallest pothole the rims take majority of the impact.

Ok, back to VMR wheels -- !
      04-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
VMRWheels
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylight View Post
My comments:

My experience with VMR has been great. I have had the CSL reps for a while, and one month before the 12 month warranty expired, I experienced some slight peeling on all 4 wheels. I promptly contacted VMR and I was given 4 brand new wheels under warranty! WOW!!! And now its been 5 months since the new set, and they look damn good to me.

Only thing I wanna complain about it the fact that they discontinued the et30 rear offset (which I had, rather aggressively might I add), and they gave me et33 instead!! Its cool. I just need some 3mm spacers now!
We opted for the +33 for the sedans and coupes just to be safe from any kind of rubbing issues. The +30 we found to have some slight rubbing issues on the fender liner with the coupes.

Either way, im glad you are happy with the setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
+1 on GREAT experience with VMR!

The guys are very helpful and the wheels look simply amazing on my car!
Had Gunmetal V710's for almost 2 weeks now. Not a single complaint, other than with my self for being a cheap-ass and getting General Exclaim UHP tires. Should have gotten something better. General's have pretty thin sidewalls and offer no rim protection whatsoever, so every time i hit even a smallest pothole the rims take majority of the impact.

Ok, back to VMR wheels -- !
The wheels do look great on your car. I think GM was the perfect choice. Next time, try out the Yokohama S.Drives. They are a bit more expensive but offer a lot better dry traction.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com
      04-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #19
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Yeah so in my opinion my finish experience on my CSLs has just not been great. I have posted previously about my experience. And no, I did not get rims replaced from VMR even though I complained within days to the retailer the paint was soft from delivery, easily chipped, stained (from tire dressing) and rubbed right off the edges of the spokes by Griots sealant wax that I use regularly on my car's paint and factory wheels with NO issues. All my damage was within the first couple of months of ownership. Paint seems to have hardened and the rate of wear and chipping has reduced considerably. There are still clearly visible thin spots of paint and clear on the spokes. Needless to say, I won't be putting a second set of tires on these wheels because their condition is just not up to my standards after only about 19 total months of ownership with less than about 10 months of actual road use and only about 7K miles on the wheels. I'll be replacing them with something else and though I really like the VMR designs, I doubt I'll be a repeat customer.

On the plus side, the wheels look great on the car.

On the plus, plus side, the wheels were balanced perfectly from delivery with no ridiculous amounts of weights and have held that with the mounted PS2s.

On the plus, plus, plus side, I hit a major pot hole just yesterday. The whole car shuddered and the sound was LOUD. It was unavoidable and was a stupid manhole cover that was indented like 2" or more below the level of the street. I hit it hard at about 50 mph. The wheels appear to be perfect. No discernable vibrations, visible cracks, dents or whatever. I was sure one or two would be clearly damaged. Based on that the wheels are strong, IMO.

YMMV

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #20
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

VMR V710 since 600 miles on odo, currently 8300 miles on odo. No chipping, bent, crack issues whatsoever. I have hit few potholes in LA, mostly Wilshire Blvd...there were two times! I thought "oh shit that's it...I messed up my rims..." still holding up just fine I will definitely get another set of VMR wheels later in the future. Soooo worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Peter is a really cool guy, I talked to him before i got my wheels mounted. I got them as a gift and concidered selling them for a different wheels becasue of all the stuff i read on this forum. He got me set up and I feel I will have great after-purchase and service. The wheels have been great as well, extremely happy with them. Sorry I havent gotten photos up yet peter.
      04-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I have had my VMR CSL reps for 6 months. Haven't had any incidents but so far the quality is quite good. They are a good wheel for the price.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0