E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Mod-friendly BMW Service Advisors in Bay Area?

09-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
vic18t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM E92

Mod-friendly BMW Service Advisors in Bay Area?

Hi all, anyone mind PMing the names of some mod-friendly service advisors in the SF Bay Area? If so, what mods were they cool with? I've tried search and read some conflicting things about service reps at specific dealerships.

I am throwing a couple of codes for bad O2 sensors. I have a Procede v3, Dinan exhaust, and BMS DCI. I could remove the DCI and turn off the Procede, but I can't remove the Dinan exhaust before going in to have the O2 sensors checked out.

I'm worried that the Dinan exhaust might be blamed on the bad O2's or even void my warranty. I know Dinan has their warranty policy (commonly misinterpreted as being covered by BMW) which won't really help in this situation because I'll have to make trip down to Dinan with a ding on my service record if they do blame it on the exhaust.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic18t View Post
Hi all, anyone mind PMing the names of some mod-friendly service advisors in the SF Bay Area? If so, what mods were they cool with? I've tried search and read some conflicting things about service reps at specific dealerships.

I am throwing a couple of codes for bad O2 sensors. I have a Procede v3, Dinan exhaust, and BMS DCI. I could remove the DCI and turn off the Procede, but I can't remove the Dinan exhaust before going in to have the O2 sensors checked out.

I'm worried that the Dinan exhaust might be blamed on the bad O2's or even void my warranty. I know Dinan has their warranty policy (commonly misinterpreted as being covered by BMW) which won't really help in this situation because I'll have to make trip down to Dinan with a ding on my service record if they do blame it on the exhaust.

Thanks!
Do you still get the O2 codes when you pull out the Procede?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
SiKh335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 JB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Any advisor will "advise" you to strip off ur mods before bringing it in so you don't get flagged. I work with nick @ Fremont BMW or Alan Elias @ East Bay BMW (Pleasanton, CA)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
vic18t
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Do you still get the O2 codes when you pull out the Procede?
I just got the code yesterday so I haven't had the chance to test the Procede. I'll run some experiments tonight, but from what I can tell the car seems to run fine. Usually bad O2's result in rough idle or reduced performance, right?

I spoke with a service advisor on the phone and more or less told them what I'm posting here. They said that they aren't quick to judge and blame aftermarket parts on problems. If the aftermarket part were to blame, they would refuse service, but won't void my warranty. They might note it in their logs, but I didn't ask. In any case they were sounding "mod-friendly."

I'm going in tomorrow morning without the Procede and DCI and will let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
vic18t
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKh335i View Post
Any advisor will "advise" you to strip off ur mods before bringing it in so you don't get flagged. I work with nick @ Fremont BMW or Alan Elias @ East Bay BMW (Pleasanton, CA)
Thanks for the advice. As I said, I can't remove the Dinan (I don't own a stock exhaust). East Bay is a bit of a trip for me since I live and work in SF, but if you can confrm that they are very mod friendly, it may be worth the trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just got the code yesterday so I haven't had the chance to test the Procede. I'll run some experiments tonight, but from what I can tell the car seems to run fine. Usually bad O2's result in rough idle or reduced performance, right?

I spoke with a service advisor on the phone and more or less told them what I'm posting here. They said that they aren't quick to judge and blame aftermarket parts on problems. If the aftermarket part were to blame, they would refuse service, but won't void my warranty. They might note it in their logs, but I didn't ask. In any case they were sounding "mod-friendly."

I'm going in tomorrow morning without the Procede and DCI and will let you know what happens.
The reason I ask is because is because I had some o2 issues with the Procede installed, but once removed they went away. What I found as the source of the issue is the loom that intercepts the o2 sensors started to pull out of the shrink tubing exposing some of the wires, which caused them to touch each other.

I would pull the procede out first to see if the errors return.

I also live in the city, so lemme know if you need help.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
vic18t
Private
Rep

Quote:
The reason I ask is because is because I had some o2 issues with the Procede installed, but once removed they went away. What I found as the source of the issue is the loom that intercepts the o2 sensors started to pull out of the shrink tubing exposing some of the wires, which caused them to touch each other.

I would pull the procede out first to see if the errors return.

I also live in the city, so lemme know if you need help.
Nice. Have you put the Procede back in? Do you have any pics of what I shuold be looking for? My Procede is packed into the ECU box pretty tight. I wouldn't be suprised if a wire was pulled or stressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
We can't guarantee that they'll be helpful with your mods but you should always be safe with any dealer visit and take out any performance mods.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Truong View Post
We can't guarantee that they'll be helpful with your mods but you should always be safe with any dealer visit and take out any performance mods.
are cosmetic modifications 'accepted' or are all mods discouraged?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
only way to be completely safe is to remove the procede, get a BT scan tool to remove the codes, and then take it back to dealer. B/c no matter what someone tells you over the phone, it's ultimately up to bmwna and although your relationship with your SA can help you through some issues, there's always a chance that something can go wrong and once you are blackflagged, you are sol. Don't get lazy with taking out the procede each time you take car into dealership and good luck tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
vic18t
Private
Rep

Update:

Drove the car to the dealership this morning and the SES light wasn't lit. I didn't clear any codes and took the car to the dealership anyway. I told the SA that the SES was on on Sunday and I haven't checked/driven the car since then. SA asked if I cleared the codes myself and I said no.

SA calls me about a half hour before they closed letting me know they found the fault codes for bad O2 sensors and swapped them out. It took about 3/4 of a day's work so they will need to keep my car over night and run some other tests in the morning. One test is to make sure the MAF sensor isn't tripping out either (not sure how this might relate to the O2 sensor). SA then sent me home in loaner vehicle.

SA didn't question any of my mods. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
are cosmetic modifications 'accepted' or are all mods discouraged?
cosmetic is fine, only performance (e.g engine or suspension modifications).

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update:

Drove the car to the dealership this morning and the SES light wasn't lit. I didn't clear any codes and took the car to the dealership anyway. I told the SA that the SES was on on Sunday and I haven't checked/driven the car since then. SA asked if I cleared the codes myself and I said no.

SA calls me about a half hour before they closed letting me know they found the fault codes for bad O2 sensors and swapped them out. It took about 3/4 of a day's work so they will need to keep my car over night and run some other tests in the morning. One test is to make sure the MAF sensor isn't tripping out either (not sure how this might relate to the O2 sensor). SA then sent me home in loaner vehicle.

SA didn't question any of my mods. So far so good.

FYI our cars DO NOT have a MAF sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
vic18t
Private
Rep

Quote:
FYI our cars DO NOT have a MAF sensor.
I might have misheard. Something something air sensor...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I might have misheard. Something something air sensor...
Nice...Did you have a tough time resolving your ECU issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
vic18t
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nice...Did you have a tough time resolving your ECU issue?
No, I left the Procede in - I was afraid of making things worse by trying to pry the sub-connectors off (they are stuck).

They also ran tests and concluded that nothing else was an issue. This had me worried a bit as I was thinking they might run an emmissions test and blame my mods. But, they already performed service by replacing the O2 sensors, so what can they really say... Anyway, SA told me to come by and pick up my car.

I think communicating with the SA and being upfront about your car has value. Think about it. What do you have to lose with being upfront and honest with them? All they might say is "no" and you can take your car somewhere else. If you try to deceive them by presenting them with a car that isn't what it appears to be, guess what? They might take offense with that.

I'm not sure how service departments work with BMWNA, but it doesn't seem like they consult with BMWNA unless it's for major issues.

P.S. I'm in no way recommending that people not remove their mods. But if you do have mods and you can't remove them then be honest with the SA about what they can expect with the car.

Last edited by vic18t; 09-29-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
True being upfront is good but it's not the SA that decides whether you warranty will be voided or not. It's the tech that works on your car.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0