E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Almost Diginitive: Missing Oil Coolers & Pix

04-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #23
gmessori
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
That's why I never called anyone a liar to their face at the dealer. I simply smiled and went on to call BMW and let the rest work itself out. I'm not starting a war with anyone at the dealership over this. It's not nescessarry.

From a pure business standpoint, I understand BMW's issue.

Why issue a huge recall that will cost them about $10,000,000 when most of the 335i owners will never overheat, don't know about all the hoopla, and will not ask for a cooler. Why spend money for nothing? Most of the 335i owners will be typical putz's who meander along at 50mph on full blown straight-aways, no traffic.

But I still think the dealers know. I still think there should be a pre-auth for potential noobies coming through the door asking for their cooler-candy.

Just my jibb.

Funny thing is I have tried like crazy to push my car over 255, with no luck. I guess I got the stealth oil cooler. Funny part is you wasted all that time for a part you will not need. Feel dumb yet? you should.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmessori View Post
Funny thing is I have tried like crazy to push my car over 255, with no luck. I guess I got the stealth oil cooler. Funny part is you wasted all that time for a part you will not need. Feel dumb yet? you should.
Not sure where you are driving, or how hard you drive,whether you don't use the A/C, are there any long climbs or what, but mine will get to 125-130C (265F) on a 30km trip into the city when the outside temps are only 10-12C. (mid 50'sF). And that's without the A/C on.

How many miles do you have on yours.. ie, how many driving profiles have you covered since new in your quest to beat 255F? Any hard climbs mixed with stop and go?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #25
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

I have hit 270 in L.A traffic with my e92 step.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #26
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

255F is less than 10 degrees hotter than the temp with two oil coolers.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #27
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Major Issues: READ

Ok, quick update: Stay the heck away from Shelly BMW service. Excellent sales force, incredibly bad service center.

As I have posted, I had some issues with Jon, their senior mechanic, calling us all liars about overheating, “tracked” cars shutting down and that BMW had made a mistake about the missing coolers in the first place. He basically told me the entire issue is “made up” or fabricated, and that he in his 30+ years as a mechanic, knows more than several thousand 335i owners who actually own the car and are actually experiencing the problems first hand. As a side note, when I mentioned tracked cars, he asked me what that meant. I reiterated, “you know, tracking a car. Track.”
‘What is that, I’ve never heard that term.”

I go in for my SECOND failed fuel pump on Sat, April 21st. I come in the SA area door, albeit walking quick, and approach Robert the SA. I'm late for a major business appointment and this is my second pump failure in 2 months.
Me "This is my second fuel pump failure, and I AM PISSED," end quote
Robert jumps up off his chair and actually gets in my face. "You will not talk to me like that and if you continue, you can leave the dealership. We will not service your car here."
HOLLY WTF Batman!!?

Not only was I not directing any comments to his “person,” (even if had, to talk like that to a customer! Not in 22 years of driving Mercedes have I EVER had a dealership employee talk to me like that) but I was looking out the window at my car when I said it.
Have you ever heard of someone with a continuing mechanical history come pansy walking into the dealership with a big fat smile on his or her face? “Oh, my $10,000 transmission just went out for the 3rd time…. I’m so happy I could just sh*t.”

I don’t think so.

Later, "Jon The Liar" comes out after checking the pump, and we get to talking about this cooler issue again. This is my second time meeting him.

He again starts telling me that “no way ANY 335i over heated and stopped...."
Need I go further folks? Grandiose statements about people he's never met, about ALL the 335i's ever sold, as if he's privy to the ownership history of each and every 335i personally?
I throw this at him: Our Porsche mechanic has a full blown Porsche race team and races BMW's. He has the 335i... He also stated to me if one of his Porsches got up to 260-280 degrees, he'd take the car OFF the track rather than blow a $75,000 motor.
Jon "Oh, he's a mechanic and he owns a race team?! How successful is he as a racer? I have a hard time believing all of this..."
"Are you calling everyone a liar Jon?"
"I need you to leave sir. Take your business elsewhere. I'm done here."
Grant you I have already given him the print-out of other BMW responses to customers regarding the oil cooler. I have already directed him to this site. I have already informed him I have talked to BMW, above his lowly mechanic position and that his opinion is NOT shared by BMW. (My point being that Corporate is talking to the engineers who DESIGNED the 335i, whereas he is at the shop level. By the way, I did not mention his “position,” I’m simply making a point here.)

So dear board member, according to “Jon Our Savior,” who has never been on a track in his life, YOU ARE ALL LIARS and CON MEN. You the 335i owner, don’t know jack squat.

By the way, he also informed me that these "racers' who track their M3's/ M5's, are all a bunch of ‘weekend warriors who don't know much, and have no credibility." A big statement to encompass all those M3 and M5 owners, whom I guess he also knows on a personal basis....

Shelly's fax is 714 994-8103 should you feel the need to spread some love.

Yours truly,

335i Owner & "Liar"
(According to Jon)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #28
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

THat's insane! Post SHelly's service manager's e-mail and I will help to complain. When they asked you "not to talk like that", were you cursing? Never heard of somethin like that unless there was a reason.
What's this about he doesn't know what tracking a car is? Ask him if he's heard of BMW Performance driving school...WTF! I think in your case, I would write a lengthy letter to BMW and cc Shelly. Then I would find another dealer to go to. I just find this shocking of BMW service....at Brecht, the service guys come out in white coats, are courteous, listen, and always try to satisfy the customer. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #29
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Go to a different dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #30
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

No offense, Newhouse, though I guess there's no way to say this without being offensive, so forgive me but:

While the dealership is clearly in the wrong here, even in the post you come off as a smug, self-important customer. I can only imagine what I would think if I were your SA.

You know the old saying about honey and vinegar...

Just saying. Hope you get your cooler installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #31
pincud
Private
United_States
Rep

guys in white coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
THat's insane! Post SHelly's service manager's e-mail and I will help to complain. When they asked you "not to talk like that", were you cursing? Never heard of somethin like that unless there was a reason.
What's this about he doesn't know what tracking a car is? Ask him if he's heard of BMW Performance driving school...WTF! I think in your case, I would write a lengthy letter to BMW and cc Shelly. Then I would find another dealer to go to. I just find this shocking of BMW service....at Brecht, the service guys come out in white coats, put on a white rubber glove, grab a can of vaseline, are courteous, listen, and always try to satisfy the customer. Keep us posted.
Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #32
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Like I said before, you need to find the owner of the dealer and have a nice conversation with him and explain to how his employee are treating the customer. Put it in $ for him and how much bad PR cost a company and your will make sure any person you know who are or would consider a BMW you will send somewhere else, just because of the service department.

The problem is you're dealing with people who only power is the control over repairing your car. When your not happy you have to find the person at the top and deal with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #33
pincud
Private
United_States
Rep

General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Like I said before, you need to find the owner of the dealer and have a nice conversation with him and explain to how his employee are treating the customer. Put it in $ for him and how much bad PR cost a company and your will make sure any person you know who are or would consider a BMW you will send somewhere else, just because of the service department.

The problem is you're dealing with people who only power is the control over repairing your car. When your not happy you have to find the person at the top and deal with them.
This is very good advice.

1) Find the email of the general manager from the Dealer Website.

2) Write a good technical letter explaining the issues. Remember the technical writing format from ENG108 and go to town.

3) Leave a phone number at the bottom of the letter.

4) Be prepared to file complaints with BBB.

5) Please let the GM know that you are looking for him to be on the customer's side - your side, not for him to defend the dealership.

This is what worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #34
djben
noob.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMGII, 911 Turbo (997)

Something similar happened 6 years ago with the debut of the E46 M3.

The E46 M3 had rod bearing failures and BMW owned up to the problem.

I can imagine there may have been quite a few people like you having it out with their dealer before BMW finally took action.

The resulting warranty stuff - any M3 manufactured between 2001 and 2003.5 (the cutoff was in 2003) had the rod bearing recall performed or engine replaced if it was damaged by the bad rod bearings. All E46 M3 motors subsequently got a 6 year / 100,000 mile warranty if they fell within the recall window.

Since getting a reputation for being a bad engine from those issues the S54 has proven to be quite solid.

I only hope you guys get the same treatment this time around. Not sure what it means for the longevity of your motor when it is running so consistently hot, god forbid anyone might want to take it to a race track for a day for a little fun without having to worry about it overheating.
E46 M3 SMGII : No Sunroof : GC Coils : GC FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : H&R Sways : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : BW Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : 4.10 gears : 301 WHP (Epic): Recaro Sportster CS
911 Turbo 6MT : Locking Rear Diff: GMG Springs/Sways: RSS Engine Mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #35
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

May 14th UPDATE

No word from dealer so I called. They've had the oil cooler in stock, no fuel pump though.

I'm bringing the thing in Wed.

I was told that the new fuel pumps are not yet released from BMW, so BMW is giving people whom are on their second one, the new one's only, and probably giving the "old" OEM originals to first timers.

Thank God my car is running or I'd be down for how long!?

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 05-20-2007 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #36
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Part Number

Part Number is 17227521376
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #37
bmwhondabrian
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan

Pre march production overheating issues

I work for a BMW dealership and own a Feb. production model 335i 4 dr automatic. This is my understanding after speaking to our service director, technicians, and customer care reps from BMW. Any BMW 335 4dr prior to March production are equiped with one oil cooler pump. All coupes however, were equipped with two oil cooler pumps. If you contact your dealership and convey your concern as well as contact customer care they will more than likely put the second kit on for you as they are my car. What is wierd is that the post march production has a 340 degree mark before the car goes into "safe mode" which restricts power.Prior to march they had a 300 degree gauge. Pre march production vehicles have a max temp of 300 degrees before they go into safe mode. With only 1 pump my car runs an average of 240- 250degrees under normal driving conditions, so you can imagine once you start to track the car, safe mode happens way to often. I would appreciate any feed back.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #38
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Not sure if this has been discussed here or in other threads/posts/forums. But this will also be an issues with resales. Not everyone know about missing cooler and if I was in the market for a used bmw and it happens to be a car without a cooler (because the previous owner does not know about it), will I be able to get an oil cooler (free of charge) as a second hand buyer? Now, do you know why this is such a hush hush event? This thing can go on and on for the life of the car (for those cars without the cooler) and can really impact BMW corp well into the future (if not handled correctly).
      05-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #39
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bringing In, will update

I'll tell you if they have installed a new oil gauge with the cooler, the install is tomorrow.

I do not understand the thing about the guage either.

How can one car have a 340 and the other a 300, the identical motor and trans? The limp mode is two seperate temps as you said. Well, 40 degrees is a pretty major difference to be operating at.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #40
tmoney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Are you guys sure about the differing temperature triggers for "limp mode" My understanding is that the the newer temp guage was installed in order to address people's perceptions of what is normal. Based on the new guage, normal operating temp (240-250) is more around the center of the guage. I think the the engine is designed to enter "limp mode" around 300 degrees, regardless of the highest temp shown on the guage.

That being said, I'm going to start the process of getting the 2nd oil cooler retrofit. I hope the dealer will cooperate and have knowledge of this prior to my arrival.

E90 335i
- Black Sapphire on Terra // Full M-Tech Kit // Euro clear headlights // Vorsteiner vented hood // Gloss black front grill // Gloss black window trim // Carbon fiber splitters // Carbon fiber trunk spoiler // BMW Performance 19's
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 01:32 AM   #41
chaodima
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

i think i dont have that oil cooler too.i going to dealer tomorow talk to him ahout this.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 01:33 AM   #42
chaodima
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

every one get oil cooler??? or nobody get oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #43
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaodima View Post
every one get oil cooler??? or nobody get oil cooler.
NO
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #44
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

No...
(To be fair, I haven't had time to complain in the last few weeks, so I guess BMW thinks I went away.)