E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ohlins vs kw clubsports

12-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

ohlins vs kw clubsports

just trying to decide between the two.
which is the better overall coilover. priced similarly.
kws come with camber plates and compression adjustable. linear springs.
ohlins better dampening ability. don't know why they recommend servicing every 30k regular driving and every 20hrs tracking.
has anyone needed to service ohlins yet. not sure how long they've been out.
how noisy are the kw camber plates.
I read they r better than vorshlag plates.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I don't have experience with either but their spring rates indicate KW CS would be more capable at the track whereas Ohlins will have more ride comfort.
      12-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I don't have experience with either but their spring rates indicate KW CS would be more capable at the track whereas Ohlins will have more ride comfort.
+1

It's horses for courses. You need to decide what you'r looking for from your suspension and choose accordingly.

The so-called 'servicing' for Ohlins is (in their owner's manual) nothing more than an external visual examination for damage and wear, and an external clean.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
parabmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
so if ohlins out of the box would be better for road comfort. i wonder if konis with swift r spec springs might be just as good at half the price.

just got to decide on the compromise of DD on shitty roads with track like set up for the few track days.
i guess we would all like the best of both worlds.
i guess kw v3 or clubsports on full soft is not the greatest ride with 400/800 range springs
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
so if ohlins out of the box would be better for road comfort. i wonder if konis with swift r spec springs might be just as good at half the price.

just got to decide on the compromise of DD on shitty roads with track like set up for the few track days.
i guess kw v3 or clubsports on full soft is not the greatest ride with 400/800 range springs
The dampening capabilities of the Ohlins FAR and EXPONENTIALLY exceeds that of the KW. Ohlins have DFV technology which can be found in the link below. Just because the original intended spring rates are not high does not mean that the setup is not as good a setup as KW CSs. The Ohlins are mono tube designed which allows for a much more consistent and superb ride quality to that of a KW twin tube. The Ohlins will also last you longer than the KW CS and are rebuildable… I have not heard of one person rebuilding clubsports because they just upgrade to Ohlins.

All of this comfort and performance talk is subjective. What isn't subjective is how the Ohlins will outperform the KWs on any day of the week, on the street or on the track.

Link for DFV: http://www.hpashop.com/Road-Track_c332.htm

-Mike
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I just replaced my front tckline single adjustable / 336 lbs swifts with ohilins & 396lbs swift springs. Huge difference in comfort, handling, and quality of assembly.
I still have tcklines in the back, but I don't have any complaints.

Granted my tckline handling suffered because one shock had damping seized in full soft, but that goes back to quality.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
parabmw
Major
Rep

I read on here that an ohlins rep advised against doing a big increase in spring rates without revalving.
trying to decide whether or not to go with swift and higher rates.
I guess ohlins spend enough on R&D to get it right.
also what kind of drop is recommended with ohlins? I have a sport susp.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I read on here that an ohlins rep advised against doing a big increase in spring rates without revalving.
trying to decide whether or not to go with swift and higher rates.
I guess ohlins spend enough on R&D to get it right.
also what kind of drop is recommended with ohlins? I have a sport susp.
Typical drop is another 10mm from sport is what is recommended.

Ohlins is very conservative on spring rate upgrades and will advise you not to use higher spring rates for liability reasons. We have increased front spring rates over 30% and rear spring rates over 70% on the E9x non-M platform without running out of adjustments or achieve critical damping.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
parabmw
Major
Rep

what does mcpherson struts mean or how are they better?
aren't most coilovers rebuildable?
want to pull the trigger but want to figure out ideal spring set up.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The dampening capabilities of the Ohlins FAR and EXPONENTIALLY exceeds that of the KW. Ohlins have DFV technology which can be found in the link below. Just because the original intended spring rates are not high does not mean that the setup is not as good a setup as KW CSs. The Ohlins are mono tube designed which allows for a much more consistent and superb ride quality to that of a KW twin tube. The Ohlins will also last you longer than the KW CS and are rebuildable… I have not heard of one person rebuilding clubsports because they just upgrade to Ohlins.

All of this comfort and performance talk is subjective. What isn't subjective is how the Ohlins will outperform the KWs on any day of the week, on the street or on the track.

-Mike
How would you rate comparable JRZ RS1 dampers to Ohlins dampers?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
How would you rate comparable JRZ RS1 dampers to Ohlins dampers?
I mean they are both REALLY good. They each have their own features and going into detail about their differences would just be too hard nit picking. The great thing about Ohlins is they are ready to bolt up, whereas the JRZ requires you to source your own spring rates, M3 components, and they NEED camber plates (ohlins do not require it). All in all that just adds price for the kit and sourcing parts.

I have personally never driven a car with JRZs so I cannot comment on their drivability on the street nor the track.

For just sheer convenience factor I would go with Ohlins because they are remarkably similar in performance.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I haven't any experience with Ohlins but in general consider JRZ to be on a separate level. The RS1 is a true race damper valved for street usage. They can be re-valved and also gas pressure tuned via their schrader valve (which can also be used to attach external reservoirs). The RS1 is a popular damper in race classes where there are restrictions on spring rate, which means that any advantage in one setup vs. another is going to come from the damper. JRZ wins a lot of races. I used to have the RS1 in my car and enjoyed them thoroughly on and off the track. Their 24-click adjustment range (single knob controls compression/rebound simultaneously) makes the car exceptionally versatile.

JRZ is a pretty penny but you get what you pay for: zero compromise. They are sensitive to setup as Mike noted is critical and you'll want to consult with a professional before ordering (and absolutely have them professionally installed). I'm on my second set of JRZ's from VAC Motorsports; their consultation, installation/tuning and after sales services have been first rate. They have a lot of experience with JRZ and suspension setup in general.

Another suspension company to look at if you're spending at least $3k+ for dampers is Nitron (http://store.vacmotorsports.com/nitr...sion-c409.aspx), they may be an alternative depending on your application. Ask VAC. Personally I like JRZ, especially if you go the custom valved route as I think JRZ has valving figured out better than almost anyone.
      12-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Sorry, I don't agree that Ohlins is superior to KW CS on track. I run both Ohlins DFV on my BMW and KW 2 way race on my EVO, but also set-up a lot of Evo's on Ohlins DFV's and KW CS, and the KW CS outperforms the Ohlins on track.

Because of the DFV high speed bump valving in the Ohlins, when using on a track car with slicks and high damping forces, the Ohlins feels a tad underdamped, which I think is because the DFV is operating.

With the KW CS, the damping control is better with the higher forces created using track orientated geometry, slicks and high spring rates.

On the road, the Ohlins is much better due to it's comfort orientated set-up. I'd say Ohlins for a predominately used road car, and KW CS for a predominately used track car.

A lot of the Evo boys bought Ohlins DFV for sprint/track/race cars, only to sell due to being too soft on track.

JRZ RS1 also has a very good rep with the Evo track guys.

Quote:

-Mike
Ohlins DFV with 400/800 Swifts // M3 arms and bushes // H&R anti-roll bars // Modified top mounts allowing -1.5 deg front camber // 19" MORR VS8.2 // 235/265 Pilot Super Sports // Wavetrac // Evolve remap.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
Sorry, I don't agree that Ohlins is superior to KW CS on track. I run both Ohlins DFV on my BMW and KW 2 way race on my EVO, but also set-up a lot of Evo's on Ohlins DFV's and KW CS, and the KW CS outperforms the Ohlins on track.

Because of the DFV high speed bump valving in the Ohlins, when using on a track car with slicks and high damping forces, the Ohlins feels a tad underdamped, which I think is because the DFV is operating.

With the KW CS, the damping control is better with the higher forces created using track orientated geometry, slicks and high spring rates.

On the road, the Ohlins is much better due to it's comfort orientated set-up. I'd say Ohlins for a predominately used road car, and KW CS for a predominately used track car.

A lot of the Evo boys bought Ohlins DFV for sprint/track/race cars, only to sell due to being too soft on track.

JRZ RS1 also has a very good rep with the Evo track guys.
Thank you. It's nice to hear from someone who actually has experience with the two suspensions and not just a forum paying vendor who loves to sell Ohlins. My tuning shop agrees with your street/track assessment as does another race shop I'm familiar with.
      12-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

KW recommends you don't run the dampers at full soft or hard. I wouldn't change their springs; their dampers are valved for them and it'd void your warranty. Based on your 'shitty roads and few track days' I'd say V3 over CS and definitely over Koni's with Swift spec springs.
      12-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. It's nice to hear from someone who actually has experience with the two suspensions and not just a forum paying vendor who loves to sell Ohlins. My tuning shop agrees with your street/track assessment as does another race shop I'm familiar with.
I have been in KW clubsport cars (never driven) and I have been in Ohlin R&T cars (driven) around a track. I have also been on KW V3s and used to own KW V2s. I happen to prefer mono tube to twin tube design, regardless of track or street.

I just do not like KWs (other than their comp line which is pretty good). I think there are much more benefits to the Ohlins than the CS's. Furthermore, if this was a question as to Ohlin R&Ts vs. AST 4250s I would choose the ASTs. Remember these are all subjective answers and I am going off of the dozens of cars I have driven, all of which are slightly different.

-Mike

P.S. I can sell KWs if I wanted to. I could probably sell a lot of them. I just choose to sell something that (I believe) is of better quality and voice my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Quote:
I have been in KW clubsport cars (never driven) and I have been in Ohlin R&T cars (driven) around a track. I have also been on KW V3s and used to own KW V2s. I happen to prefer mono tube to twin tube design, regardless of track or street.

I just do not like KWs (other than their comp line which is pretty good). I think there are much more benefits to the Ohlins than the CS's. Furthermore, if this was a question as to Ohlin R&Ts vs. AST 4250s I would choose the ASTs. Remember these are all subjective answers and I am going off of the dozens of cars I have driven, all of which are slightly different.

-Mike

P.S. I can sell KWs if I wanted to. I could probably sell a lot of them. I just choose to sell something that (I believe) is of better quality and voice my opinion.
An opinion is a good thing and what forums are for!

I also agree that the KW Comp is much better than the V3 and CS and would always recommend buying 2 way race instead of CS. (CS is basically revalved and harder sprung V3)

I can only comment with V3 and CS on Evo's as I have not driven KW on a BMW, and I love the Ohlins on my E91 (running 400/800 springs)

But, standard spec Ohlins DFV just don't work as well on track as KW CS, and are totally blown away by 2 way race. Having seperate compression and rebound adjustment is also a major plus point if you know how, and want, to dial in the suspension properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #18
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Typical drop is another 10mm from sport is what is recommended.

Ohlins is very conservative on spring rate upgrades and will advise you not to use higher spring rates for liability reasons. We have increased front spring rates over 30% and rear spring rates over 70% on the E9x non-M platform without running out of adjustments or achieve critical damping.
Sorry to track jack, but can you send me a PM for Ohlins coilovers for an E90 LCI 335i RWD. And the recommendations for tracking/autocross

Thanks!
Appreciate 0