E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Pressure Killing my 335 Please Help Me

02-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
soulfulstudios
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Exclamation Oil Pressure Killing my 335 Please Help Me

So first. Oil light came on. Car was shakey, not terrible but clicky. I changed the oil and found out that my oil filter cap was missing the center piece. I rushed to the shop and got one, replaced filter, o rings ect. and car sounded like magic again. Soon after, VANOS erros. Intake. I clean and swap the intake and exhaust. Now the exhaust code is born. So I say wth, I replace BOTH VANOS solenoids. Car runs like magic. the next week, VANOS codes again. this time, crankshaft inlet reference code is born. So im researching and praying that its not the timing/bearings that need to be replaced.

I crank my car now, it feels like a go-kart. Very low oil pressure. It jerks and sputters UNTIL i drive it and the oil pressure 'fixes itself'. On a cold start It will cut off at a stop light/sign. So I have to keep my foot on the gas while I'm stopped to keep the RPM around 1000 and hold the brake at the same time which is nice and dangerous in stop and go traffic. The RPM (while stopped) will rev, and jump from 600-1200 up and down on its own, so I look like a jerk to everyone who pulls up next to me Feels like the car is trying to compensate/calculate the low oil pressure.

Today I got a new oil pressure switch, didnt install it yet ( didnt have a 24mm) but I DOUBT thats the problem. Now its causing a few of my coils to misfire. So to drive my car, i have to clear the codes, crank it, let it run/get the oil pressure and temp up and THEN it will run smooth.

Newest code: Inlet camshaft synchronization ??? what is gong on with my car? Yes it has a JB4 but its been off for months after I had to change all 6 injectors, plugs, and coils.

How can I tell whats causing the low oil pressure? Could it be the oil filter housing that needs replacing? The oil pump? Its clicking and clacking like when you put a bottle in bicycle spokes. OIL LEVEL FULL BTW.
08 335i N54 about 175k Miles, half engine light is on, boost deactivated but not in limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:25 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

DO NOT DRIVE OR RUN THE CAR!

It's likely that the bolt holding the sprocket drive to the oil pump is loose, or something similar. The problem is inside the oil pan. I would tow the car to someone that can do this repair.

It may already be too late, and you may need a new engine.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If you truly have low oil pressure, your engine is most likely beyond repair. Your best option is to have a professional mechanic diagnose the car and determine if you do have low oil pressure.

Once you have low oil pressure, you usually quickly create increased wear in various parts of the engine and this is why just replacing the oil pump rarely works.

My advice, get a professional diagnosis and estimate.
      02-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Don't keep running the engine with oiling issues. Which oil light came on before you did the oil change? Low engine oil, oil change reminder or low oil pressure/stop engine?

Are you certain you put enough oil in when you changed it? Did you check the level?

VANOS requires oil pressure and you don't seem to have it. This causes lots of problems, especially misfires. You need to have the car looked at by a trusted mechanic (via tow truck) if you're not comfortable troubleshooting yourself.

Running an engine with oiling issues will cause catastrophic damage. I drove my first E90 with symptoms you described to the shop and that resulted in requiring a new engine because critical engine parts like the valve-train were not being lubricated.
      02-23-2018, 01:27 AM   #5
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

No centre piece in the oil filter cap? Wtf..
That centre piece and the small oring is crucial for oil pressure i believe
Appreciate 0