E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 xenon lights levelling

11-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

E92 xenon lights levelling

Hi all just a few questions about the xenons you get as standard on the e92

So I understand they are auto levelling - mine seem to do this while driving too, going over speed bumps etc you can see the lights trying to level out. Is this right?

Now when I got the car the lights were aimed really low so I used the adjustment screw on the top of the light cluster to bring them up. I had to adjust the screw all the way to the end to get the light spread high enough to see properly (while obviously ensuring the aim was not too high to blind other road users) but even with them set at the highest level they still seem to be aiming too low? Maybe the auto levelling is bringing them down.. By too much?

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Might be an idea to get them set properly. I took my car to the local garage after I fitted lci halogens and they adjusted them for me using the mot thing. Best of all, they didn't charge me!
      01-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

H mate, I know it has been a little while since this was posted. But mine do this as well.

Very odd.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

I had a 2007 335d and the lights on that were superb, on my 2011 I agree the lights on dip seem to be set lower and consequently not as good as the 2007. I wonder if bmw set them like this so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Car had her mot today, on collection the mechanic pointed me to the advisory that the auto-leveling arm on the NSF was not fitted properly or damaged.

I've just jacked the car up and had a look at the auto-leveling arm, the clip holding it onto the wishbone wasn't 'snapped' shut, probably causing the arm to ride up and down the wishbone and getting the sensor confused.

I had a play and the lights do adjust as you move the arm. I put it back into position and snapped the clip shut.

Here is the arm

As I've mentioned before, I had to wind the adjustment screw all the way in to get the light horizon high enough to see. If your lights still don't point high enough then you can loosen off the two screws that hold the light cluster into the car, and manoeuvre the light cluster down at the back so the lights point higher. Put your lights on while you do this and you will see the little movements can give you that extra few degrees of tilt
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Question , does the autolevelling only occur when you start the car ( down to reset then up) ?

or !

Are they constantly 'levelling' .. for example whipping down a straight road at a good old pace , then sudden braking , nose dives .. at this point does the auto-level compensate for this and adjust up.

May sound a stupid question from someone with an e92 but my system is static because I have a known faulty sensor on the front
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the system is constantly levelling, going down a bumpy country road at speed you can see it trying to keep the lights level
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Normally it resets the lights if they are on and you start the car. You'll see the beams go down then back to normal position.

If you've had to manually adjust them them you should

1. Get the sensor checked and shown to be working
2. Get the headlight alignment checked in the 'normal' position

HTH
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

OP, xenons have a sharp beam cut off, which i find makes them seem worse than halogens on low beam as a halogen has a blurred beam edge giving a bit more light further up.

Watch you don't set them too high inadvertantely and blind everyone, take them to a MOTplace, they'll set them for free/ a beer / not much.

If you have adaptive headlights (turning ones) the put the switch to ON not AUTO as this disables the adaptive bit so they can be adjusted properly.
Appreciate 0