E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth on long run DD ?

01-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

Unfortunately this stuff is a bit over my head and the install looks quite complex for a novice.
Please bear with me...

Basically, is this possible:
-On/Off switch for meth.
-Switch off: JB3 switches to Map 3, Meth deactivated
-Switch on: JB3 switches to Map 7(?), Meth activated
-If switched on, JB3 switched to Map 3 and meth deactivated if meth stops flowing.

Ideally I would want to be able to do this on-the-fly via the switch. Is this possible and what would I need to do this?
Would the "basic meth kit" suffice or do I need a kit with the CMGS?

(Sorry for derailing your topic somewhat whn, but I assume this information will benefit you as well. )
      01-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #24
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I 2006 Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
Unfortunately this stuff is a bit over my head and the install looks quite complex for a novice.
Please bear with me...

-On/Off switch for meth.
-If switched on, meth deactivated and JB3 switched to Map 3 if meth stops flowing.

Ideally I would want to be able to do this on-the-fly via the switch. Is this possible and what would I need to do this?

(Sorry for derailing your topic somewhat whn, but I assume this information will benefit you as well. )

thats exactly what that diagram does. As long as your JB3 supports map switching it will work. You need our CMGS or VC2 to make this happen. The kit does not come with the 2 way switch or relay but we do offer them for sale.

The diagram is very simple. If it looks complex to you, I advise you to get it installed professionally.

CM
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply coolingmist!
I have reconsidered running meth now that I know that this can do what I want it to do.
I have a lot of research to do now!

Any place in socal that you would recommend for installs?
Although I would need to know how to remove it for dealer visits... its probably best to DIY.
      01-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #26
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have reconsidered running meth now that I know that this can do what I want it to do.

Although I would need to know how to remove it for dealer visits... its probably best to DIY.

you cant be too far from terry at BMS. If he cannot install it I am sure that he will find someone.

Garage tuning near westminster is a good installer of ours in socal as well.

CM
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #27
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I have never installed a meth kit on any of my cars, but all you have to do is go over the installation instuctions a couple of times and look over the car and where you want to install the pump etc...Here is a good DIY for the installation of the hardware...although its using Snow Peformance kit, you can use the other ideas from his this thread! I was also intimidated by the wiring and stuff, but just plan out a course of action on where you want to run the lines and wiring...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297336
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #28
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

so the cleaning benefits of meth is typicaly atributed to the water that is run. Water > steam cleaning ur internals. Meth on the other hand is corossive to certain metals. Can you explain why we dont need to worry about that happening to our n54 long term?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #29
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Methanol is corrosive and harmful if its sits and lays there stagnant on the metal, but the methanol is atomized to the point it will be burned off by the heat of the engine and never sits and induce this corrosive behavior....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #30
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:
Please bear with me...

-On/Off switch for meth.
-If switched on, JB3 switched to Map 3 and meth deactivated if meth stops flowing.

That'll work as long as the JB3 has map switching. I installed cn55ic meth on/off switch and PROcede v3 relay to do exactly what you have outlined... Works perfect!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #31
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald-335i View Post
were would u mount that switch tho..
We can put it wherever you want Donald... when you come by this weekend, i'll show you some sweet spots to put that on/off switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #32
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
That'll work as long as the JB3 has map switching. I installed cn55ic meth on/off switch and PROcede v3 relay to do exactly what you have outlined... Works perfect!!
What exactly do you mean "has map switching?"
Don't all JB3's have map switching (thru the gas pedal) or are you referring to something else?

And getting back on topic, do engine maintenance requirements change from running meth?
If I recall correctly, I remember reading something about changing the oil more frequently while running meth. True?
      01-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #33
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What exactly do you mean "has map switching?"
Don't all JB3's have map switching (thru the gas pedal) or are you referring to something else?

And getting back on topic, do engine maintenance requirements change from running meth?
If I recall correctly, I remember reading something about changing the oil more frequently while running meth. True?
map switching that coincides with meth flow. Yes all JB3's (since 1.3 i believe) has map switching with the gas pedal... but you would want to run a more aggressive map once meth starts to flow. 2.0 will allow you to enable this feature

oh, and it is advised to change your oil more frequently as well... i would say every 3-5k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #34
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

Quote:
We can put it wherever you want Donald... when you come by this weekend, i'll show you some sweet spots to put that on/off switch.
sweet.. i'm leaning towards the way you set it up tho in the ashtray.

*Question* the way you set it up alex can you still close the lid?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #35
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

i ran meth for 4 years on my tuned eclipse. Home made system and never had any issues. I did a head gasket change about 35k miles of running meth and my pistons and valves looked like they were new! it was a daily driver making over 580 whp. I never noticed any change in my oil over that time, but I did change it every 3k-4k. I plan on putting the procede version in my car this spring.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #36
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald-335i View Post
sweet.. i'm leaning towards the way you set it up tho in the ashtray.

*Question* the way you set it up alex can you still close the lid?
we can do it that way too... yes, the lid closes with no problem too and i have my meth LED's in there too... STEALTH!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #37
qwks6
Rep
Drives: '13 650i Gran Coupe

Meth can clean, and intercool, and drop egt's, and boost octane, and suppress detonation...

but make sure it's a progressive system that comes on with boost. Also, go with a tuner that knows how to lean out your fuel for the specific injection system you're running. I've seen people wash their pistons with meth thinking more is better. Yeah, the pistons are clean, but it can eat through your rings and cause bad blow-bye and eventually contaminate your oil with fuel. I've seen people not notice this for thousands of miles until it's too late. Only way to check for this, besides tearing the engine apart, is a leakdown test. This is why people like the snow kits, they are safe because of the 50/50 mix but the benefits are much lower than a great tune and 100% meth.

All that being said...

IF you tune properly meth is the best thing for a boosted car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #38
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
we can do it that way too... yes, the lid closes with no problem too and i have my meth LED's in there too... STEALTH!!
you guys doing the install this weekend....I might pass by to bust some balls and have some laughs with you guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #39
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
you guys doing the install this weekend....I might pass by to bust some balls and have some laughs with you guys!
no meth installs this weekend... got some other stuff lined up tho
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #40
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by whn View Post
How long have you run on meth?

I was thinking that when I get meth kit installed for my car I'll set it to go on at 9psi or so. So when Im cruising downtown the meth is off most of the time.
whn, a few of us including me have been running it on my car for about 6-8 months now. I change the oil at 2-3k and I drive my car hard. The methanol is set to come on in my car at 7 psi and full at 11 psi. That means under most situations you never use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #41
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Please bear with me...

-On/Off switch for meth.

I would not suggest you going this route and the logs from cn555ic support my hypothesis. If you base map switch on power going to the pump, then you will run lean for a short period before the methanol kicks in if you are running a Procede. On the JB3 it shouldn't be a problem because they are not leaning out the maps as much as Procede. You need to map switch based on a flow gauge only. Snow SafeInjection will do this with their new unit that will be available in a couple of weeks. It is cheap and easy to install. CM and Labonte also has a unit that will do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #42
whn
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

There's still one thing I worry about. When meth is switched off and I've JB3 normally on map 3 and map 7 is the meth map. How I can be sure that JB3 won't switch to meth map (map 7) when meth is switched off?

Quote:
you were right
Mods: Stage 3+, FULLY LOADED
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #43
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There's still one thing I worry about. When meth is switched off and I've JB3 normally on map 3 and map 7 is the meth map. How I can be sure that JB3 won't switch to meth map (map 7) when meth is switched off?

you were right
how do you switch to map 3 and map 7? Are you using a toggle switch or gas pedal?

if you have a toggle switch, you would simply follow this diagram (yes I know it says procede, jb should be the same or very similar):

Otherwise, if you have the new JB hardware that allows map switching, it would automatic switch maps only when meth if flowing.

CM
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #44
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:

you were right
Until JB3 2.0 is released you will not be able to auto map switch based on flow. Manual map switching like we currently use is the route you will go.
Appreciate 0