E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Spring and Shock Coilover Adjustment (BC BR Coilovers)

05-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
1st
Rep
Drives: PT6466 JB/CR 6MT 335i

Rear Spring and Shock Coilover Adjustment (BC BR Coilovers)

Hi all, I've done some digging but can't seem to find a solid answer on this.

How does one go about adjusting the ride height on the rear coilover setup for BC BR coilovers? For a lot of aftermarket coilovers (such as my previous ST coilovers), the spring's perch is the only adjustable part, and that changes the ride height. However, for the BC BR (and other setups, I'm sure), there is the typical spring perch adjustment along with shock adjustment.

From my understanding, it is best to disconnect the shock from the control arm, adjust the spring perch to the new desired height, add preload by compressing the spring by ~3mm, and then align the shock to the hole with spring preloaded. However, this is a problem with the e92, as the shock's bolt goes straight down into the rear control arm instead of there being a mounting point parallel to the ground. This makes it difficult to assess whether or not preload is appropriate or not.

Am I going about this completely wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0