E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > 0029 CF at cylinder 5

12-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
one330xi
Rep
Drives: 06, 330xi, silver

0029 CF at cylinder 5

Recently my car start running rough but no check engine light or any other issues, just a little bit of shaking. 2 days ago check engine light came on .Used Carly and got failure detection cylinder 3 0029CF, swapped ignition coils with cylinder 1 to check if the error will follow to another cylinder. Another diagnostic runned and new issue pop up- cylinder 3 error still present and Air -mass system 002D06. Cleared all codes, moved the suspected bad coil from cylinder 1 to cylinder 2.
Another check and another code pop up in addition to the previous 2 - 002A43 Valvetronic thermal overload protection .
Cleaned the MAF sensor and moved the coil back to cylinder 3. While attaching it, noticed the valvetronic connector was half way out ? The last interaction with the car was 2 months ago at BMW of Fairfax and they only did oil change and annual car check , valve cover gasket was replaced 4 years ago in different dealership and doubted I drove the car in past 4 years with unplugged valvetronic ?
However reattached the connector and runner another diagnosis, all good however slightly rough idling but no codes . Drove the car and 10 miles later check engine is back with Failure detection cylinder 5 -0029CF, I ordered new spark plugs ( its about time, I'm sitting on 79k miles ) and two new coils which will arrive Wednesday . Hopefully this will resolve the issue but what's the chances this to be injector related?
From my little research is one of three- spark plugs/ coil / injector, is there a way to pinpoint what's the issue without replacing coils and spark plugs in mid-time

After debating with myself I ordered Delphi coils and NGK 12120037663NGKKT, unsure how mix and match coils will work ( original bosh all around ) but any opinions and advices appreciated.
The car is 06 330xi , 79k miles and to the best of my knowledge still on the original sparks and coils. I'm a second owner and got the car with 35k.
Appreciate 0