E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Infinite baffle and Super cheap rear speakers?

08-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Infinite baffle and Super cheap rear speakers?

There is a carpenter who lives near me. He will build the baffle for an IB315 according to my specs. I simply have no idea how to attach and seal the baffle to the back of the carpeted seat. Look at the image I attached below.

For the rear speakers, I want to get super cheap ones that will handle the power. Would that be a good idea? How much power can the stock rears actually take? They will be turned down compared to the fronts, and used for rear fill only. 13cm(5.25") speakers are easier to find and cheaper than 10cm(4") ones. Can I fit 13cm speakers in there? What depth do I have below and above the speaker in case I use a coax with a tall tweeter?

Here are all my questions:
1. Can I fit 13cm speakers in the rear shelf?
2. What depth do I have below the speaker?
3. What depth do I have above the speaker in case I use a coax with a tall tweeter?
4. How do I attach a baffle to the rear of the seat? Do I drill a hole and tightly screw it in? Do I need an additional support as in the picture?
5. How to I seal the baffle against the seat carpet?
6. Is there any tutorial on cutting the ski pass that still has pictures?
7. How do I stop the gas filler door from vibrating?

Summary of my plan:
I have the base audio system in my E90 currently. Front doors have been upgraded to focals,
FI IB315 and Audio System AX 08 mk2's are on their way.
I already have 3 pioneer amps:
1. 120W RMS to the underseats
2. 60W RMS to the 4 speakers
3. Digital 600W RMS to the sub (the amp can output 1200W at 1ohm, 800W at 2ohm. I will turn it down)

I might upgrade the first 2 amps later to a single digital JL amp when I have the money. DSP is a cadence 4.8, Head unit is a joying. I will use a USB DAC with optical out to the DSP.

EQ calibration and time alignment will be done using my EMM-6 from cross-spectrum labs, focusrite solo audio interface and REW. I think I will face the mic forward and use the 90 degree calibration file at ear level with the laptop connected to both the audio interface for input, and the DAC for output of the sweep.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ski+pass

You are probably on your own for any cutting you are going to do
there might be something mentioned in the speaker section of the
audio build thread in the stickys at the top of the page.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:32 AM   #3
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ski+pass

You are probably on your own for any cutting you are going to do
there might be something mentioned in the speaker section of the
audio build thread in the stickys at the top of the page.
I saw that thread, but there were no pics. I guess I will figure it out and post my own experience.

They are all kind of expensive unfortunately. The speakers there are high end good quality ones. I want super cheap ones (if that's a good idea). I assume that the depth would be the same as in the doors.
Appreciate 0