E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Atlanta Installation now Available for Combox Retrofit, 6NR

01-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Atlanta Installation now Available for Combox Retrofit, 6NR

If you're not familiar with Combox and 6NR, BMW begain installing the Combox in the E90/92 in September of 2010, and 6NR became available in the spring of 2011.

What are these things?

The Combox retrofit offers the following:
- Internet access (you need to enable tethering on your iPhone or jailbreak it)
- Album art covers (over USB port in the armrest)
- Bluetooth Audio
- Office menu (for iPhone only Contacts are currently available, other phones can have text messages, Calendar, Tasks, Emails, etc.)
- And more!
The 6NR ConnectedDrive retrofit offers:
1. BMW Apps:
- Facebook,
- Twitter,
- Web Radio,
- 3rd party BMW Certified Apps. (like Pandora)
2. BMW Plugin - "...changes the iDrive screen to the same look and feel as the iPod function on an iPhone. It allows you to take advantage of all the iPod features (Genius, album art, compiling playlists, etc) that are not available via the basic USB connection.
3.Video Playback - enables video playback from iPhone

I chose to work with BimmerTech, a vendor on the board, and one with a very well earned positive reputation. I contacted Patryk at Bimmertech to learn about adding these capabilities to my car, and my process began. In my case, I purchased the Combox retrofit, and also the 6NR upgrade.

BimmerTech has established a network of installation locations around the U.S., and their most recent addition is in Tucker, Ga., Making it convenient for all of metro Atlanta, and also most of the southeast. This location is only a 45 minute drive from my home, making it ideal.

The local owner of this location, David Chow, actually operates his own business (4sevens Flashlights) at this location, and cars are his avocation. Fear not, BMW lovers, his DD is an M3 with a supercharger (!), and his fun car for the track is a Miata with a Corvette LS3 (!). Needless to say, he's one of us! He actually has his technician Matt do the work on the car, inside David's warehouse, and the work is flawless and completely buttoned up.

I wanted to make everyone aware that we now have this upgrade available in our backyard (depending on where you are located), and to vouch for both Patryk/Bimmertech and David as well. Here's my review thread, which shows the new capabilities: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639158
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Nhan
nhanweezy
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4is

Can this work on a 2007??
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan View Post
Can this work on a 2007??
You would have to retrofit the current gen Navigation, which is definitely doable (members on the board have had it done). Patryk offers this as well, so yes, it could be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
You would have to retrofit the current gen Navigation, which is definitely doable (members on the board have had it done). Patryk offers this as well, so yes, it could be done.
I have a 2009 M3, what do I need to have to get this done? And if you do not mind, how much am I looking at to get this done to my car?

Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Eric, the best thing to do is email Patryk and let him tell you what is needed and the cost associated with it. Here's the BimmerTech thread from the vendor forum: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513645

Email Patryk at info@bimmer-tech.net and include your VIN so he can determine what will be needed. He does best when contacted by email (instead of pm), so go that route. Good luck!
Appreciate 0