E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Choice of new car

04-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #23
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
The C-Class would be my choice if you didn't want a 3. Nothing wrong with the 5, but I generally wouldn't buy a car that is about to be replaced - though I imagine the spec is pretty good right now.

As for which C, the Sport would be a much better bet than the SE (though personally I quite like the Elegance model between the two), and I'd probably have a C220CDI over a C280 unless you really dont have to worry about fuel and running costs (in which case yes get a V6).

If you do consider the 3, then the 325d is a good choice, but don't be fooled into thinking the SE has a better ride than the M-Sport - it is softer but not as well controlled so tends to be a bit unsettled. In terms of ride quality, the C wipes the floor with the 3, though it doesn't handle quite as well.
The 5 is an option as it has the options I would want to have and its a 5. From what I can work it it looks as though the business edn is a run out model for 1k more than normal price. Not a fan of elegance as it has those weird artico seats (rubber seats?). I have no worries about fuel costs (business) and private mileage is so little that it doesn't matter.

I've had a few 320i/d SE loaner's and I found them to be ok. The only thing I don't like is the crappy seats and gearstick knob. I'd have to add the sport seats. The ride on my si is really hard and sometimes knocks the steering out of hand if on a really crap road. I'm not expecting the same control as my Si.
I had a 325i M Sport cabrio last year as a loaner (six weeks) found the engine very sweet when revved. Also the power delivery was great. Ride and control wasn't too bad.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #24
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

I like the new C class. I only ruled it out because the BIK rates where a lot worse. Since you dont have that problem, have had a beemer before, I'd go Mercedes for a change.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #25
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Shere - It could be your last chance at a free choice, so go for the one you want!! Can you not stretch to a C280 Aventgarde?

If you like to chuck your car down country lanes then the Fiver is not the right motor.

The C class sounds best IMO.

By the way the scheme works as follows

It is a personal lease in your name backed by the company so it does not appear on your credit record

Your employer pays the £5k deposit as this is tax free

Your employer pays for all running costs (maintenance, insurance repairs etc) as these are not a taxable benefit.

The employer pays all termination costs and any tax due on them

The employer takes the element of the tax free mileage allowance over and above the cost of fuel as a contribution towards running expenses.

The benefit to the employer is savings on employee NI

The inland revenue does not like this and the rules are changing from the 5th April so that the running expenses become a benefit in kind which your employer will have to pay the tax on for you (grossed up so zero effect on take home pay)

The scheme is changing as the NI savings are outweighed by the tax changes.
Appreciate 0