E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Normal o2 sensor voltage?

09-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Normal o2 sensor voltage?

What is the normal o2 sensor voltage supposed to range from? I took a screen shot of datalog on my car.

Name:  02 sim stuff.jpg
Views: 28084
Size:  126.1 KB

I keep getting the service light up after 50 or so miles and have to clear it each time. Im currently using revII and set the o2 sim at 80%. I dont think my o2 sensor is dead....?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
UndergroundEuros
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I Alphina White

I Have the same problem, I found out the bank 2 o2 sensor was damaged and linking check if the o2 are plugged in tight and not leaking but need to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
What is the normal o2 sensor voltage supposed to range from? I took a screen shot of datalog on my car.

Attachment 304770

I keep getting the service light up after 50 or so miles and have to clear it each time. Im currently using revII and set the o2 sim at 80%. I dont think my o2 sensor is dead....?
Set converted min/max to 0 and 5 respectively. With voltage being the unit. You should see it range from 0 to 1v. Even with your scale off, it looks about right.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So the same catt inefficency codes came up so i took more data:

Name:  o2 readings.JPG
Views: 16188
Size:  92.8 KB

The odd thing is, i never had this issue with the DIY revI o2 sim. Once i switched to revII I keep getting this issue...Anyways, taking a look at this, it appears as tho the voltage sometimes cycles normally yet other times its extremely low. Any theories to what is going on? Is this normal or is it supposed to look consistantly like the right side of the graph?

Does the ecu pull timing when it gets catt inefficiency codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

When the SES light comes on, did you get the chance to read the code?

I have the same issue, or so I think........I randomly get SES light and it reads P420 and P430, and something about catalytic efficiency below threshold. And once I got P0160, which says O2 sensor CKT no activity(bank 2 sensor 2).

I want to know what this means as well, does this mean I need new O2 sensors? If so, does this have anything to do with catless DPs? Is that what's killing our O2 sensors?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #6
cocoturkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 335i

i have the same problem... I recently got SES light. I set the O2 sim to 70% instead of 80%, and it disappeared for 2 days... but it just came back to me this morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
...does this have anything to do with catless DPs? Is that what's killing our O2 sensors?
Cstmx...i realise this has been a concern before and that i replied that it is due to the catless system....but i recall some forum members did not think so due to their experience.

I appreciate and respect the personal experiences of the forum members on this particular issue, but i remain convinced that the moment we touch the cats on our cars we unleash the hidden power but also the associated problems. I mentioned elsewhere that 2 years of running a complete catless system on my 335 and all my atempts to keep those nasty codes away was not very successful...software tricks/ RR 02sim/BMS sim/universal sim/home made sim/my own mini-cats etc...etc...many wins but an unreliable car especially travelling long distances.

Now here is the interesting bit. New 335, same power mods with performance catback exhaust (except for catless system) and making great power but so far (6 months) none of the 02 or lambda/sensor problems of catless sytem. I accept i am at least 20-30kw down due to the stock cats. so when the primary cats are removed i will smile seeing the jump in power but also prepare myself for the downside....this is inevitable...i want all the power i can get.
      09-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I dont believe just because u remove your catts it is inevitable to have these issues... I just want to know if my o2 sensors are working properly or if they could possibly be loose or if i need to replace them...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645Nm View Post
Cstmx...i realise this has been a concern before and that i replied that it is due to the catless system....but i recall some forum members did not think so due to their experience.

I appreciate and respect the personal experiences of the forum members on this particular issue, but i remain convinced that the moment we touch the cats on our cars we unleash the hidden power but also the associated problems. I mentioned elsewhere that 2 years of running a complete catless system on my 335 and all my atempts to keep those nasty codes away was not very successful...software tricks/ RR 02sim/BMS sim/universal sim/home made sim/my own mini-cats etc...etc...many wins but an unreliable car especially travelling long distances.

Now here is the interesting bit. New 335, same power mods with performance catback exhaust (except for catless system) and making great power but so far (6 months) none of the 02 or lambda/sensor problems of catless sytem. I accept i am at least 20-30kw down due to the stock cats. so when the primary cats are removed i will smile seeing the jump in power but also prepare myself for the downside....this is inevitable...i want all the power i can get.
So you plan on removing the primary cats? Wouldn't that be the same as running catless DPs? Because I thought you were running HFC DPs now, versus before when you were completely catless........Wouldn't you be back to square 1 if you removed your cats?

I just got my car back from the dealership with this issue, they read the codes and it was the catalyst efficiency below threshold that's throwing the code. They cleared the codes with their tool and told me if the problem persists, then I might have to take my car in again but leaving it to them for a day or two to further diagnose the problem.......

So far on the drive back from the dealership, my car hasn't thrown any codes yet. Whether or not they fixed the problem, only time will tell. I was almost certain that on my way home my car would throw another code, but it didn't so that's a good start, I guess.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645Nm View Post

Can you elaborate on this? I was planning on getting a set of DPs with the understanding that the BMS sim would eliminate the CEL. Is this not true? Does everyone with a catless DP have a CEL w/ or w/o a sim?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

FYI, here are some of the codes that show up according to the pde reader:
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I was planning on getting a set of DPs with the understanding that the BMS sim would eliminate the CEL. Is this not true? Does everyone with a catless DP have a CEL w/ or w/o a sim?
I'm nearing 36-37k miles and I've been completely catless for about 28k of those.. No cels for me with the procede o2 sim. I have it set to 80%
Appreciate 0