E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question about GPS Units with Bluetooth

07-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
E90Nube
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Question about GPS Units with Bluetooth

I'm considering buying a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit with bluetooth. I have the BMW Assist with Bluetooth option on my car, which means that when my bluetooth phone rings, the system automatically turns down the volume of my stereo and rings the phone thru my stereo speakers.

Does anyone know if bluetooth GPS units will work the same way? Will the system fade out my stereo and play the GPS audible instructions thru the stereo speakers in place of the stereo music??

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
I haven't seen a Nuvi that supports the sort of Bluetooth speakerphone setup you're taking about. They support being used as speakerphones for a paired Bluetooth cell phone, not sending their audio to another device.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

No. The head unit won't do that with external devices. If you put the gps unit in your aux input and have the radio on aux, you can hear it over the speakers, but that's it. Not really worth pairing your phone with anything else other than your car. Unless you put music on your gps and listen to that and have the bluetooth on the gps. it really isn't worth it. the car is so much better any way you look at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

No. The GPS you will not be able to hear over the speakers.

I recently got a Magellan 4250. (bluetooth works great BTW) But even if you plug the cable into the AUX, I did NOT hear it over the speakers.

(I Dont have BMW bluetooth option)

OP: If you have BMW bluetooth, why are you looking to get a GPS with bluetooth???

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThree View Post
No. The GPS you will not be able to hear over the speakers.

I recently got a Magellan 4250. (bluetooth works great BTW) But even if you plug the cable into the AUX, I did NOT hear it over the speakers.

(I Dont have BMW bluetooth option)

OP: If you have BMW bluetooth, why are you looking to get a GPS with bluetooth???
There is something wrong with yours or that model doesn't support AUX out then. I have a portable GPS and when I plug it into the AUX inpout (and turn the car stereo to the AUX input and make sure the volume on the GPS is not muted) it does play through the speakers.
That is the point of the GPS having an AUX output.
I play MP3s on the GPS and the music is paused when the GPS speaks.

90% of the time I just use the GPS's speaker instead so there isn't the hassle of plugging in the cable and so I can listen to live radio.
You have to make sure you get a GPS with a speakers loud enough to be heard over road noise and the radio then. I don't have any problem hearing my C580 while listening to the radio at the same time.
Appreciate 0