E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW useless in snow !! Shite

11-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #45
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmack8 View Post
All the neighbours got together yesterday and spent 3 -4 hours clearing the street and have to say I was going to give travelling to work today a go – that was until I got up and was faced with this little lot over night… Hmm, working from home today and probably tomorrow and…..
Thats some serious snow there, I dont think its worth trying to move the M3 in that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesfinnie View Post
Monday morning and it's just as bad
It's crazy that winter tyres enable you to drive in that. Impresive stuff!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #46
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Sleet at midnight which will instantly freeze, then 3 hours later heavy snowfall predicted. Joy.

So 2 days of compacted snow and ice, plus a little more ice plus some deep snow. Tomorrow's going to be interesting
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #47
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
It's crazy that winter tyres enable you to drive in that. Impresive stuff![/QUOTE]

It soooo is. I would never believe it if someone told me
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #48
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

M1 this morning near Sheffield, no winter tyres, just lucky pants
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #49
russtic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

So happy just driven to work - no issues whats so ever - no slipping, no traction control. F@%in fantastic.

And a a colleague took the piss when I got them - they are stuck on their drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #50
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russtic View Post
And a a colleague took the piss when I got them - they are stuck on their drive.
Ace!

Mine are going well too
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #51
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Certainly some snow up there Les.

I'm impressed with the efforts of a young man who works for my other half. He's managed to get through rural East Yorks yesterday and today travelling from east lying villages right through to the west villages in his Golf TDi. He's too young to have seen 'proper' snow - he's restored my faith.

I've not any problems just drive through it all no probs. Main concern is my car sits quite low.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #52
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Pretty crazy down in West Cornwall - ice everywhere. Landy coming in rather useful but had to use difflocks to get out of an icey field yesterday - even then it took a few attempts and a lots of sideways action!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #53
Logic108
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 320D 2007

I'm in Finland and I remember posting a reply to a guy in the U.K who wanted to garage his BMW in winter because he was afraid of the snow. He didn't trust that winter tires would work. But they work great and it's a LOT of fun driving a RWD car in the snow. Just make sure you use DTC.
Because I'm in Finland I use studded tires which are illegal in the U.K - (Nokia hakkapellitta 7) - and they are amazing - you can drive on iced roads at normal speeds - very good grip.
So enjoy the snow - have a lot of fun - now you will improve your driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #54
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Right then, had to go to a meeting at head office just south of Sheffield today. Drive down from Teesside with no problems at all, arrive in the car park and its got a good 5" of snow on it and hardly any cars parked.

Various people who work in that office saw me park up and said "get it out on the road mate, you'll never get out again". A few more people for my course arrive and like me park in the snowbound car park. We sit and watch all day as the snow keeps coming, as that big DHL van gives a masterclass in how not to drive (he couldn't back up without spinning his wheels), and then the course finishes at 3:30 and out we come.

An inch and a half of new snow down during the day, me in my E91 and a mate in his 118d. Someone in an A3 sits there wheels spinning going nowhere. "what gear are you in?" I said. "First". "Try second and slip your clutch" says I. "How do I do that" she says!

So she gets out and there's a small audience to watch the poor bimmers. Brush snow off car, engage DTC, in 2nd gear, feather clutch, and it walks out through 7" of pristine snow without so much as a twitch. "Whats all the fuss about?" I asked as I passed one of the regulars parked out on the access road. "Last winter 8 of us had Beemers and got stuck" was the reply - apparently that included the clueless bint in the A3!

So the moral of the story is - learn to drive!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #55
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
I've not any problems just drive through it all no probs. Main concern is my car sits quite low.[/QUO
My one sits low too Helen. I am considering billing the local council for snow clearing because the front bumper is acting as a snow plough at moment
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #56
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
The snow was about three inch deeper than this before the car ploughed through it, then simply select reverse and park. These motors are sooooo much fun in the snow I will be sorry to see it go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #57
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

My colleagues at work cant believe that Im the only one in the office who hasnt had to stay at home either yesterday or today due to the snow. (There is a downside to being mobile then!)
Just watched some woman on the news standing beside her Land Rover Discovery which had driven into a lamppost.
4x4s do give additional traction yes, but when it comes to braking, if they have the wrong rubber on, they will slide like the next car, its just that the drivers think they are weatherproof. Ive seen two of them off the road this week.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #58
reidtastic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Anyone from near kirkcaldy ? i was supposed to pick up my E90 yesterday but i got stuck in the snow so i had to head back home ! i was just wondering if the motorways and A roads have cleared up a bit in the fife area ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #59
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Tbh Les I'm becoming a bit tired of all this snow now. Day six and it's snowed everyday. Now the wind has picked up, it's snowing heavily again, had thunder and lightening about an hour ago - which did look spectacular! More weather warnings for East Yorkshire, some villages are cut off but East Riding Council are doing a great job so far keeping the main roads clear. But side roads are DEEP in snow.

Came in tonight from work and where I live has had more snow than Hull where I work, and bugger me, our street is worse than ever with snow and the cars have pushed the snow to the side of the street so it's deep pulling onto the drive. So my front splitter was used as a snow plough to get onto the drive Didn't have any problems getting up the slight incline but I'm not happy about it.

Had a cup of tea then told t'other half - right that's it, we're clearing our street near the driveway and we're clearing the pavement! our Council dropped off a big grit bin on Saturday and there's some left. Goes out and first helped a neighbour in a Rover 200 bogged down as he'd been parked on the road. Then one of the newbies to the street who lives on the opposite side of the road 'tries' to get onto her drive, which is steeper than ours. She's got a little 'A' class Merc and slowed down too much so lost momentum. Steve and I go and help her as she's shovelling snow from under the tyres, then our neighbour arrives, then her neighbour. But as Rochdale Pioneers said about the woman in the A3, she was trying to drive in 1st gear and front wheels just spinning. I told her put it in 2nd and go easy on the clutch - she did it along with three blokes pushing the car!!

Never spoken to her before...........she's a Scouser!! Wrong side of the M62.

Last edited by beemerbird; 11-30-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #60
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Just watched some woman on the news standing beside her Land Rover Discovery which had driven into a lamppost.
4x4s do give additional traction yes, but when it comes to braking, if they have the wrong rubber on, they will slide like the next car, its just that the drivers think they are weatherproof. Ive seen two of them off the road this week.
I saw that and it's down to poor driving imo. My other half laughed his head off tbh saying people just don't know how to drive Landies!!

Everyone I work with has managed to get to work and some of them live out in the sticks.

Interesting that the private company (not Civil Service) that leases our extension building, their employees have been absent.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #61
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
snow finally in London!!!....

very slippery!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #62
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I saw that and it's down to poor driving imo. My other half laughed his head off tbh saying people just don't know how to drive Landies!!

Everyone I work with has managed to get to work and some of them live out in the sticks.

Interesting that the private company (not Civil Service) that leases our extension building, their employees have been absent.
My colleagues are Civil Servants! Most of them severely demoralised re pending Government theft of their pension rights so I dont suppose they feel they owe anyone anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #63
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
My colleagues are Civil Servants! Most of them severely demoralised re pending Government theft of their pension rights so I dont suppose they feel they owe anyone anything.
Yeah so are mine lol. It's the private company lot that haven't turned in.

We've not received any info. re. our pension rights at all tbh as far as existing Civil Servants are concerned. We've heard the rumours about the very high wage earners and their pensions within the Civil Service...........so doesn't affect us lot at ground level lol. We're chuffed that our department is staying as is in effect........but we knew it would be highly unlikely anything would change.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #64
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

Edinburgh on Monday morning...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #65
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Tell you what pissed me off today, 140 miles of very nasty M1 and didn't see a single 'Highways' type Discovery or Police 4x4. Normally see at least two or three. They are probably sat in their huts with a nice warm brew.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #66
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Can I ask as I'm considering the 'new' S4 next would the quattro system on summer tyres be better than a bmw on winters?
Appreciate 0