E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Smashed in to kerb and used BMW Breakdown

02-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #23
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Jon, Jon...bad luck mate. Not good hearing what's happened to your pride and joy. I'm sure it'll be fixed up quickly.

However, I've got to admit that, apart from initially being promised another BMW (which the person who promised it clearly had no direct control of), the service you got wasn't that bad. Personally, if that had happened to me I would have been happy to have the Note or any car to get me back home in at such short notice on a weekend. For instance, I know for a fact that my insurance company wouldn't provide a courtesy car to anything like the standard of car I own and wouldn't be surprised if I got a Fiesta / Focus or something like that - is it any different with BMW Assist or any other breakdown company?

Of course, ignore everything I've said if BMW Assist T&C's say they will provide you with another equivalent car - if they promise that in writing then obviously you have every right to expect it!
As I mentioned Andrew I don't mind what car they provide but when AVIS phone and say we have got you a 3 series its on its way then thats what I expect, same with the recovery time.

End of the day I am home safe, wedding went well and I did not miss anything and my car should arrive in High Wycombe today. So glad the BMW assist service was their to help.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #24
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
As I mentioned Andrew I don't mind what car they provide but when AVIS phone and say we have got you a 3 series its on its way then thats what I expect, same with the recovery time.

End of the day I am home safe, wedding went well and I did not miss anything and my car should arrive in High Wycombe today. So glad the BMW assist service was their to help.
Sounds as if they were pretty helpful in Tesco. You could have got home to find your car on ebay!

Was the wedding in Durham or Shields?

I grew up round there.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:05 AM   #25
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Another great advert for winter tyres

On a serious not, glad you got it all sorted!
      02-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Sounds as if they were pretty helpful in Tesco. You could have got home to find your car on ebay!

Was the wedding in Durham or Shields?

I grew up round there.
Tesco in South Shields and the hotel was The Ramside Hall hotel. Wedding in Sunderland.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE

The car should have been delivered today but apparently the recovery truck broke down on the way between Durham and London, not sure where.

Maybe I am a cynic but it sounds like the car is still in Durham and delivery was not even attempted or it suits them better to leave the car in a hub mid way.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Tesco in South Shields and the hotel was The Ramside Hall hotel. Wedding in Sunderland.
Small world. My mate had a saturday job in that Tesco when it opened.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #29
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
You did yourself a favour really.

If you'd parked up in Sunderland your car would never have been seen again!

(You'd never guess I'm a Geordie and an NUFC supporter).
      02-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lons View Post
You did yourself a favour really.

If you'd parked up in Sunderland your car would never have been seen again!

(You'd never guess I'm a Geordie and an NUFC supporter).
Macam hater
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #31
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I found BMW Assist pretty good when I had to use them. In my 335i I had a flat which chewed right through the tyre virtually instantly so I was stranded. I'd been in Kent and was heading back up to South Manchester and wasn't too far past the M25 (quite a way from home then!!).

I called around all the local BMW Dealers (using the dealer search facility on the Nav) but no-one had a spare RFT available. Called around near my house and again no-one had one. The only tyre I located was near Peterborough (those good at geography know that's not really on my way home).

BMW Assist came to collect my car, and me, the only fault was it took 1 3/4 hrs to get me as opposed to the 1 hr quoted.

When I explained the position of no tyres available nationwide (i.e. pointless taking me home as I'll be stranded still & they've have to collect me a second time) they took me, and my car, on the wagon all the way over to Peterborough to get ONE OF ONLY TWO tyres available in the whole of the UK.

Got tyre fitted and drove home at lightening speed.

Took me 12 hrs to arrive home from setting off first thing but at least I had new rubber (oh, a nearly £400 poorer for JUST ONE TYRE).

Overall I thought BMW Assist were helpful and took a common sense approach to things.

Not that any of this helps you Jon but thought I'd offer an alternative angle. Obviously the courtesy car provides an extra layer of complication & breakdown in service (if you're pardon the pun). Hope you get everything sorted soon mate.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #32
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Macam hater
Only on footy terms though - and it is reciprocal!
      02-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #33
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

The car has arrived at the dealer and guess what.......... yep you guessed I now have an 8" scuff right along the edge of the rear wheel that was not there when I left the car.

Unfortunately I did not hand over the car to the breakdown company so it could be my word against theirs, BMW assist are looking into it.

On another point I managed to see the delivery paperwork which shows that the delivery lorry drove 5 hours today to drop off the car, this is how long it would take from Durham area to High Wycombe. Interesting as BMW Assist told me yesterday that the delivery truck had broken down whilst on the way from Durham at 3pm and the vehicle would be stored overnight.

It even shows that the delivery vehicle had driven 300+ miles today!!!

We will see how they explain that one away. At least the car is back now though, just need to check the mileage is the same as when I left it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #34
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Not a good sequence of events. Im guessing BMW Assist outsource their courtesy car service so it may be that they too are being given the runaround. The lorry that picked me up was just a local pick-up wagon which was called because BMWs one local wagon was busy. Probably the same with courtesy cars. Seems you need to have an element of luck for everything to fit into place perfectly. That said BMW Assist should be kicking arse and managing it better.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #35
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Not a good sequence of events. Im guessing BMW Assist outsource their courtesy car service so it may be that they too are being given the runaround. The lorry that picked me up was just a local pick-up wagon which was called because BMWs one local wagon was busy. Probably the same with courtesy cars. Seems you need to have an element of luck for everything to fit into place perfectly. That said BMW Assist should be kicking arse and managing it better.
Lets hope it gets resolved..
Appreciate 0