E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > I need a new floor jack, recommendations?

04-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

I need a new floor jack, recommendations?

It must be aluminum or ever carbon fiber and it must be light wieght.

I dont want cheap shit like crap from Harbor Freight.

Last edited by oilcrankinject; 04-22-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377561

edit: Oops those are from harbor freight
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
alum jack from harbor works great for me! just 16lbs iirc. No flaws after 4 years of use.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
alum jack from harbor works great for me! just 16lbs iirc. No flaws after 4 years of use.
I try to buy American when I can. Well my car is German but that is besides the point, I dont like buying chinese junk. My hose reel was made in China and when I opened the box the smell made me think I was in China.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
I can't speak for your particular model of jack, but I once bought a Harbor Freight floor hyd. jack to raise and lower a project pickup of mine. After bringing down the pickup from the stationary jacks, I had to re-jack up the truck to just quickly mess around with something i had forgotten to adjust. Just after I rolled out from under and was standing nearby, the floor jack blew a seal, and the pickup came crashing down. Yeah, my mistake for not putting a jack stand back under the pickup, but nonetheless, I will never buy Chinese crap again when my life or someone else's may be at stake.
      04-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
Dam thats a burn, I know what you guys mean by chinese junk being that most goods are made in china nowadays. You can try a jack from craftsman?

btw my intent use of these cheap floor jacks. Jack car up then slip jack stand under and release jack. Just for simple jobs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I used a craftsman jack for years and left it outdoors in all sorts of weather and it never failed me. Just make sure whatever jack you use to use jack stands.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I used a craftsman jack for years and left it outdoors in all sorts of weather and it never failed me. Just make sure whatever jack you use to use jack stands.
I had a flood on my property in 2003. My 20 year old craftsman jack was in a storage bin that got swept away by the water. When I finally found my jack (it didn't float very far!) 10 days later under the water (I tripped over it), I thought it was trash. I'm still using it to this day. Never did anything to it except dry it off.

But I don't like buying cheap Chinese stuff either.

I bought a fluid extractor from Harbor Freight a few years ago, it is a POS.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I had a flood on my property in 2003. My 20 year old craftsman jack was in a storage bin that got swept away by the water. When I finally found my jack (it didn't float very far!) 10 days later under the water (I tripped over it), I thought it was trash. I'm still using it to this day. Never did anything to it except dry it off.

But I don't like buying cheap Chinese stuff either.

I bought a fluid extractor from Harbor Freight a few years ago, it is a POS.
20 years ago most things were made in the USA but now even crasftman jacks are chinese crap. The whole reason I want a made in the USA jack is that my current jack, which is 7 years old and made in china, can barely lift part of my bmw. It takes at least 10 pump to get the tire off the ground and the pumps dont work all the way. I can only pump about 15 degrees now.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

saw this on arf too. howdy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
saw this on arf too. howdy.
wow another ARFCOMMER here on e90post.com

I posted this in both forums because each forum has a different crowd.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

lol yea, i just read the matte bmw thread over there. Figured there were a couple of us over here when i saw a picture thread with some arfcom stuff in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Found a good one:

http://www.quickcar.net/pit_equip/pits.html

Kind of steep but they are made in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Yeah that is a professional quality jack. I couldn't think of the brand name the other day, but you should be very happy with the quality of that jack.
I hope so but I wont buy it till I am done with my year in A stan. That year doesnt start till June though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
If money were no object....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8554_200358554
or
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_19378_19378
and another good one for a decent price
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9257_200349257
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Those OTC and Blackhawk jacks are nice, professional quality (heavy duty) steel jacks but they are not ideal for home use or portability if you do HPDE events and such. The OP was looking for a lightweight jack and those definitely are not lightweight.
Exactly. I dont want something that heavy and whatever I buy, it must be made in the USA. Torin jacks are not and I dont feel like loolink up the other 2 brands.

These are 2 I am considering:

http://www.quickcar.net/pit_equip/pits.html

http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/warrior_jacks.html#
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Man my last post sucked at spelling. No more posting at 5am CET.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
20 years ago most things were made in the USA but now even crasftman jacks are chinese crap. The whole reason I want a made in the USA jack is that my current jack, which is 7 years old and made in china, can barely lift part of my bmw. It takes at least 10 pump to get the tire off the ground and the pumps dont work all the way. I can only pump about 15 degrees now.
I checked. The jack and stands are made in China, 20 years ago. Hell the thing is probably 25 years old, I've had it so long I can't remember when I bought it. But I did buy a Sears ATV/Motorcycle aluminum jack three years ago. It is made in China, but it is a nice piece. I've lifted my 780 pound Valkyrie Interstate on it, my old cub cadet lawn tractor, my 1973 General Electric lawn tractor (with the batteries in it), and my new Ferris zero-turn (which is heavy as crap - 10 gage plate steel) all with no problems. The crap they sell at harbor freight is of very low quality as compared to the contract-manufactured jacks made for Sears. I'm the biggest proponent of buying USA made products there is, but if it is not available as a US made product, what else can you do?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Everything has changed in the last 20 to 25 years. Companies want more money so they will make a lesser quality product then we go back bitching about it when it breaks and we cant get replacement parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

I don't know about floor jacks, but I do know a lot of Chinese-made machine tools are all made in the same factory on the same production lines. Then the output is graded for their wholesale buyers -- places like Harbor Freight get the bottom line, Grizzly might be a little better, etc. The price varies tremendously on how much q/a and fixing is done after it comes off the line. You can get (very cheaply) what amounts to a basic parts kit, with casting sand still in the machine, not deburred, poorly finished, etc. that with some (or a lot of) work you can make into a useable machine, or for lots more money, someone else will sell you the identical machine with all that finishing done already, and ready to do good tolerance work.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of Chinese manufacturing is like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #21
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
I don't know about floor jacks, but I do know a lot of Chinese-made machine tools are all made in the same factory on the same production lines. Then the output is graded for their wholesale buyers -- places like Harbor Freight get the bottom line, Grizzly might be a little better, etc. The price varies tremendously on how much q/a and fixing is done after it comes off the line. You can get (very cheaply) what amounts to a basic parts kit, with casting sand still in the machine, not deburred, poorly finished, etc. that with some (or a lot of) work you can make into a useable machine, or for lots more money, someone else will sell you the identical machine with all that finishing done already, and ready to do good tolerance work.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of Chinese manufacturing is like this.
Reputable companies like Sears contract the manufacturing of their equipment to off shore manufacturing companies just as they do for Craftsman hand tools that are made in the USA. The products are built to specifications for performance, design, quality level, etc specified by engineers in the USA. For example the B&W speakers I bought last year are made in B&W's factory in China. The speakers are a high quality unit. B&W also makes higher-end products in the UK.

I agree, harbor freight buys Chinese low quality equipment from whatever company is selling it on the market.

I haven't looked at the current sears lineup, but based on my other Sears products I've bought recently, their quality seems to be really good.

The Brunnhoelzl Warrior racing jack the OP is considering is half the price of the company's other Pro-Series jacks. I just wonder where the $500 cost savings is in the Warrior jack. The piston and seals perhaps?.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #22
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Oftentimes you get what you pay for. The next floor jack that I buy will be made in the US or Europe, and I'm willing to pay a premium for it.

I currently have a Craftsman 2-ton aluminum racing jack (#50239). It’s low profile, fits under the E46 and E90 jack points, and only needs about 3-4 pumps to get a tire off the ground. I got it about 8 years ago and use it once or twice a month on my three vehicles (two BMWs and an Acura SUV). It’s relatively lightweight and sturdy enough for what I use it for, but I’m not sure how it would hold up to everyday or track use.

Unfortunately, I ordered it online and found out it was made in China when I received it. Until then, I had no idea Sears was manufacturing Craftsman mechanic’s tools in Communist China! Had I known that at the time, I would have spent more $ to purchase a different brand floor jack that was made in the US or Europe.