E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Damn cops !!

01-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
e90kiddo
e90 at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Damn cops !!

well last night after coming from a party from ucla i went to drop off my friend to his house around 2:45am. he doesn't live in the best of places MacArthur park. well as i drove to his house we were too busy talking about the party, i missed his street so i wrapped around and dropped him off. so im going about 30 on the street rather slow coming to the intersection the light is green turning yellow i made my left turn, then came to another street light it was red waited till it turned green obviously then got to another street light and it was red as well and waited patiently again and then it turned green so i started accelerating cops sirens go off and so i pull over and automatically im thinking hmm what did i just do? so either way i take out my license lower my both front windows because i have them tinted 40% huper optik. So as he approaches the window he automatically tells me where are you going? i replied home. he asked what are you doing here? i responded dropping off a friend. He asked me let me see your license? so i gave it to him. he asked me how old are you i told him 21. he looked at me and then said have you been drinking or smoking i told him no. and of course i wasn't. oh and BTW guys i don't drink ever believe it or not and 2. i don't smoke either. so he tells me whose car is this i told him Mines and as soon as i told him that he said step out the vehicle so as i stepped out the vehicle and locked the car put my keys in my pocket i asked him whats the problem he didn't respond to my question he just told me put your hands over your head and walk toward the wall so i did. he put a flashlight into my face and said to look at him and then after a moment of doing that he said i don't like being lied too, your pupils are dilated and red so i told him im sorry but idk what your talking about. i told him i have contacts and i have my eye drops in my pocket for when they get a bit dry and bother me but i am not under the influence at all. he tells me you passed by us twice i told him ok i didnt know i couldn't do that? he says you took a red light and i told him no i didnt what are you talking about and then he goes you took the left turn on a red light two streets back and i responded with what why didn't you stop me in the moment he tells me we had to catch you up so i tell him how far were you that you couldn't catch me two streetlights ago? so he tells me not to talk to him like that so i tell him im sorry but i dont understand. and goes back to tell me that he can take me down to the station and perform a blood sample test and that will show what im on so to might as well tell him right there so then i begin to tell him im sorry but im not on anything he tells me are you calling me a liar and i said yes i am i dont like being intimidated. the police officer tells me once again what i was doing there i repeated to tell him i just dropped of a friend and im on my way home, and he goes and tells me ima perform a search on you do you have any sharp objects in your pockets i tell him no just my eye drops and keys so he searches me and after he finishes he handcuffs me and i ask him why am i being handcuffed he ignored my question and asks where my insurance and registration is at i responded told him in the glove compartment so he tells me face the wall as he goes get it he grabs registration and insurance info so he goes back to the patrol car telling me to keep facing the wall his partner comes to me and goes and tells me to look at him and hes gonna perform the same eye test and puts his flashlight in my face and then after a moment tells me yea your pupils are dilated i told him im telling you i havent taken anything and for any reason they can be a bit red is maybe because its 3 in the MORNING and i have CONTACTS on? and he tells me dont talk to me like that and finally by that time i was annoyed so i told him you haven't even told me what i have done wrong? i don't even deserve to be handcuffed. then he walks away and goes to his partner and whispers something in his ear and there talking for a moment or two and then one takes my keys and walks over to my car opens my driver door sits down puts the key on and raises the windows and then gets out and tells him tinted windows and i look at him and go i never gave you any right to enter my car he looks over at me and said what did i tell you about facing the wall? and then he puts that huge light towards me and im there thinking wow how embarrassing ive just been racial profiled. i told him i know my rights and you guys are not following procedure so i told him i want both your badge #s and names so he tells me what for i told him because i dont like the way im being treated and im going to fight this in court he tells me whats the use we get paid to go to court anyways and i told him then it doesn't matter ill see you there then after a long hour of standing there in the cold one of them tells me your lucky were not taking you in and your just receiving a ticket. i told him if anything why haven't you performed a test i know my rights i said again and this isn't right at all. so finally they talk to themselves and one calls me over and uncuffs me and tells me to sign the ticket and he wrote down tinted windows / Unsafe Turn/Failing to signal and running a red light when turning left. he goes any questions i told him yea wheres your badge # he says there its on the ticket and i told him and where are my keys they said in the car and they drove away and i walked towards my car thinking to myself i cant believe something like that just happened to me.

i apologize for my grammar guys i just really needed to get it out of my system. and would appreciate any tips/suggestions for me to fight this in court because i will not go down without a fight.

TIAG/Blacklines/m3 trunk spoiler/40% Huper Optik/cf roundels/matte black grills/hid 6000k/18" 710s matte black

Last edited by e90kiddo; 01-10-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The grammar police needs to give you a ticket for failing to utilize paragraphs
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
SolidSnake2634
cantoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [6.06]
stupid cops. I got a ticket the other night too for failing to signal/unsafe turn -_-x. but thats fucked up they don't have any right to enter your car. the cops are just abusing their power i guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

jesus, that sucks to be you lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
i dont wanna read it. You can either suck it up, or give a cliff notes version for some empathy.
      01-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

damn that sucks. hope eberything tursn out well
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

There seems to be a bit of gray area here. The Police are allowed to search a vehicle when someone is arrested, maybe they detained you as an excuse to search. Also, there is the whole "probable cause" issue; if the officer has a reasonable suspicion that you are involved in some sort of criminal activity, then said officer may search your vehicle. In this case his reasonable suspicion was likely your eyes, and eye-drops. So, they were not really abusing any power in searching your vehicle, however, I have no clue why they cuffed you. BTW, there I'm pretty sure there is no bona fide sobriety test for someone they suspect may have been smoking weed or anything; that all comes down to a matter of experience in dealing with druggies I would assume.

Also, keep in mind that there is a camera in the car recording the entire stop, to include audio, so if you take this matter to court, try not to exaggerate what happened.
      01-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

that really does suck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
not even going to bother reading this. posting this takes less time than reading.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
flux
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
just read it people!

OP-I hope you actually take the time to fight what happened. That is not okay. lambtron points out some very good information. Do your research and get a lawyer. Remember it is all expensive so make sure you work the system correctly and at least come out without having to pay for anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Its your word vs. a cop basically, good luck
      01-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
BMW Jet
BMW addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 2006 330i Soon to be F80

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
just to tell you "hats off" for not drinking or smoking. (me too believe it or not lol

Quad Exhaust / Glossy Black Grill / Carbon Fiber mirrors / OEM Rear Spoiler / Mtec V2 AE / GP Thunder beams /
7500k Fog lights / Interior light LEDs / License LEDs / Trunk LED / Black Air scoops
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
Cliffs:
-drives friend to his house after party in unsafe neighborhood
-gets pulled over for bs reason
-cop handcuffs him/accusses of him being under the influence since he has red eyes/ gives him shit for being 21 with a BMW
-goes into OP's car without permission and turns it on and raises the windows to find his tinted windows
-OP feels like hes being racially profiled and wants cops badge numbers
-OP got ticket for tint/unsafe turn/running red light and will take the cops to court for racial profiling and entering his car without permission

OP, i think you need to call a layer for this one, good luck man.
Good notes, wasnt going to read the wall of text. OP definitely needs a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1637 View Post
Its your word vs. a cop basically, good luck
no need for his word v. cop with the on-board camera that is automatically activated when the emergency lights are flipped on. The cops cannot control this, and the tapes are only accessible by the supervisors back at the pd. So in court, it will be his word against whatever is in the video.
      01-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #15
Fzara2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

Wow..good luck if you take this to court
      01-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
E92 maniac
LURKER
United_States
Rep
Drives: CAUTIOUSLY

Fuk the cops. Get a lawyer and fight that shiet.
      01-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
Mookie469
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
There seems to be a bit of gray area here. The Police are allowed to search a vehicle when someone is arrested, maybe they detained you as an excuse to search. Also, there is the whole "probable cause" issue; if the officer has a reasonable suspicion that you are involved in some sort of criminal activity, then said officer may search your vehicle. In this case his reasonable suspicion was likely your eyes, and eye-drops. So, they were not really abusing any power in searching your vehicle, however, I have no clue why they cuffed you. BTW, there I'm pretty sure there is no bona fide sobriety test for someone they suspect may have been smoking weed or anything; that all comes down to a matter of experience in dealing with druggies I would assume.

Also, keep in mind that there is a camera in the car recording the entire stop, to include audio, so if you take this matter to court, try not to exaggerate what happened.
I kind partially agree with you but you said "when someone is arrested" with everything mentioned above he was never arrested, he was detained, there is a diference in that. About entering the vehicle, they were not supose to enter the vehicle without permission or authorization they can look around from the outside with the flashlights but not enter the vehicle unless they can justify cause for it. About the video you can request a copy of the video that is part of the FOIA (freedom of information act) every agency has their procedures in how to request a copy you can go to the police station and ask for the procedures they should help you out with that.
      01-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
you said this may be racial profiling...what ethnicity are you?
2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Different day same $h!t. Might want to change your tints to avoid another traffic stop (eventhough not the reason for this stop).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie469 View Post
I kind partially agree with you but you said "when someone is arrested" with everything mentioned above he was never arrested, he was detained, there is a diference in that. About entering the vehicle, they were not supose to enter the vehicle without permission or authorization they can look around from the outside with the flashlights but not enter the vehicle unless they can justify cause for it. About the video you can request a copy of the video that is part of the FOIA (freedom of information act) every agency has their procedures in how to request a copy you can go to the police station and ask for the procedures they should help you out with that.

Oh I realize he was not arrested, I was speculating that maybe the cops used cuffing him as reason to search. And you're right, they cannot enter without permission or a justifiable cause, which, judging by the OP's account, were his eyes/teardrops that probably made the cop suspicious of drug usage. I think there is a lot of gray area here, and the OP has a damn good chance in court, especially if the officer never explained why the OP must be cuffed.
      01-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
e90kiddo
e90 at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake2634 View Post
stupid cops. I got a ticket the other night too for failing to signal/unsafe turn -_-x. but thats fucked up they don't have any right to enter your car. the cops are just abusing their power i guess.
Yea man I feel you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
jesus, that sucks to be you lol
Seriously it did no joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsole View Post
damn that sucks. hope eberything tursn out well
Thank you I hope it does too

Quote:

Thanks for the information and suggestions i appreciate it I wil use this

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
Cliffs:
-drives friend to his house after party in unsafe neighborhood
-gets pulled over for bs reason
-cop handcuffs him/accusses of him being under the influence since he has red eyes/ gives him shit for being 21 with a BMW
-goes into OP's car without permission and turns it on and raises the windows to find his tinted windows
-OP feels like hes being racially profiled and wants cops badge numbers
-OP got ticket for tint/unsafe turn/running red light and will take the cops to court for racial profiling and entering his car without permission

OP, i think you need to call a layer for this one, good luck man.
reason I went into depth about it is I wanted to make sure you guys would know exactly what happened i didnt want to skip any details on what happened...but thanks for the brief summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_jeong89 View Post
that really does suck.
yes it truly does bro but I am going to fight it the right way because I wouldn't like that to happen to anyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux View Post
just read it people!

OP-I hope you actually take the time to fight what happened. That is not okay. lambtron points out some very good information. Do your research and get a lawyer. Remember it is all expensive so make sure you work the system correctly and at least come out without having to pay for anything.
Yes I do plan to fight it and I have a professor that was an ex cop so i will ask ask him for suggestions and will consult a lawyer about it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Jet View Post
just to tell you "hats off" for not drinking or smoking. (me too believe it or not lol
Haha thank you I'm actually quite proud of it and congrats to you as well my friend

Quote:
no need for his word v. cop with the on-board camera that is automatically activated when the emergency lights are flipped on. The cops cannot control this, and the tapes are only accessible by the supervisors back at the pd. So in court, it will be his word against whatever is in the video.
I didn't know this ...thank you for this useful information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzara2000 View Post
Wow..good luck if you take this to court
Thanks

TIAG/Blacklines/m3 trunk spoiler/40% Huper Optik/cf roundels/matte black grills/hid 6000k/18" 710s matte black
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #22
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

you can probably consult the lawyer.

i don't think he can roll your windows up and give you a ticket for that.

thats like a cop entering a home without a warrant and discovering meth and charging you with drug possession. That charge would be invalid on the basis of no warrant.
Appreciate 0