E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How to prevent oxidation on window trim?

12-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
eliteX305
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW E92

How to prevent oxidation on window trim?

How do you prevent oxidation buildup on the chrome plated window trim on BMW E92's? I just had my car serviced under warranty which the dealership replaced both window trims because they were horribly oxidized. Is there anyway to avoid this?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Use a rubber protectant. Many things can be used from 1z's rubber care product, to 303 Aerospace Protectant, to Optimum Spray Wax (have UV protection), etc. Staying on top of this issue will be the best way to make sure your sensitive rubber trim looks good and lasts for years.

Hopefully a guy like TOGW will come in here and give the scientific break down as to how and why natural rubber breaks down, but I am confident he'll also point you towards a protection product that will help protect from the sun's radiation.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Chrome

Decorative chrome plating is sometimes called nickel-chrome plating because bright chrome plating always involves plating nickel before plating the chrome. Chromium is generally only 18 to 30 millionths of an inch thick. The nickel you see shining underneath it might be up to a thousandth of an inch thick, the nickel provides the reflectivity and most of the corrosion resistance. The chrome plating is exceptionally thin, measured in millionths of an inch rather than in thousandths.

Paint and chrome do not need to breath. There is nothing in wax that would cause chrome pitting, wax is often used when storing or transporting chromed items.

Cleaning Methodology

• Thoroughly rinse surface to remove any loose surface dirt or dust.
• Wash the surface with a d-Limonene-based (citrus) APC cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)
• Use a cleaner (P21S Polishing Soap) to remove any surface blemishes
• Use a mild polish (Happich Semichrome Polish, Autosol or P21S® Multi-Surface Finish Restorer) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating and restore lustre to the chrome
• To restore chrome that is pitted or has rust spots, remove with #0000 synthetic bronze wool and /or a metal polish (Auto Wenol Blue, or use Red for chrome restoration)
• Finally apply a polymer sealant (Zoopseal) to provide lasting protection

Due to the softness of the metallic plating it is very easy to induce a swirl marks to the finish so use straight-line motions only. Use a soft brush to remove any dried polish from seams or folds. For both chrome and highly polished aluminum, use a mildly abrasive metal polish (Iz™ Einszett Metal Polish or Groit's Chrome Polish) and a soft micro fibre towel.

Deep Chrome was designed to completely clean chrome surfaces without ever scratching. This product can be aggressively worked into a chrome surface, producing an amazing, almost-blue chrome finish. Easily removes water spots, most chemical stains, small boot marks, and the haze created by wax based chrome polishes and their protective coatings
Pitting, bubbling, flaking or lifting of the plating is impossible to remove by detailing, the chrome plating is an extremely thin coating that is easily damaged; have surface (s) professionally refinished. Some products might improve the look and protect from more widespread damage.

Vacuum-metalized (Plastic chrome) can be detected by tapping your fingernail on the surface; it has an obvious plastic tone to it, clean with a plastic cleaner / polish (Plexus) or a glass cleaner

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-18-2010 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I always just wax the molding when I wax my car and I have never had any oxidation problem at all on any of my cars.
      12-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Paint protection film.

Btw, the trim is made out of aluminum. Not chrome.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Paint protection film.

Btw, the trim is made out of aluminum. Not chrome.
Aluminum Oxidation

Aluminium alloys are an alloy in which aluminium is the predominant metal. The highly reactive nature of aluminium metal is normally masked by the protective oxide film which readily forms in moist air and renders the metal kinetically stable. Galvanic corrosion can occur when an aluminium alloy is placed in electrical contact with other metals with a more negative corrosion potential than aluminium, this is sometimes called ‘white rust’.

Uncoated (to test apply a mild polish, if the applicator turns black there is no clear coat finish) aluminium can be polished with a water-soluble polish (Happich Semichrome Polish or Autosol)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
nice thread
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Aluminum Oxidation

Aluminium alloys are an alloy in which aluminium is the predominant metal. The highly reactive nature of aluminium metal is normally masked by the protective oxide film which readily forms in moist air and renders the metal kinetically stable. Galvanic corrosion can occur when an aluminium alloy is placed in electrical contact with other metals with a more negative corrosion potential than aluminium, this is sometimes called ‘white rust’.

Uncoated (to test apply a mild polish, if the applicator turns black there is no clear coat finish) aluminium can be polished with a water-soluble polish (Happich Semichrome Polish or Autosol)
Cool.....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Well I just tried Autosol metal polish to get rid of the milkiness that appears on my aluminium window trim. It is a chemical based metal polish and it worked very well with very little effort. A small amount really does goes a long way!

I did not see any blackening of the cloth, so it does appear to be some coating on the aluminium that is tarnishing rather than the aluminium itself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

I had good results cleaning mine with my porter cable and a VERY light Megs polish (swirl remover). I threw a coat of bfwd on it to protect it. So far so good, but it's only been a month.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #11
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
...Hopefully a guy like TOGWT will come in here and give the scientific break down as to how and why natural rubber breaks down, but I am confident he'll also point you towards a protection product that will help protect from the sun's radiation.
Product recommendation are correct

The seals on most vehicles are no longer made of natural rubber; vehicle manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM). Natural rubber, or blends containing natural rubber, just cannot endure the direct exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet light) and the harmful-to-rubber oxidizing gases in our atmosphere.

The seals around the vehicles lights (headlights, brake and indicator lights, etc) and the soft seals around doors, windows, sunroof’s, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. For maintenance use a product that contains glycerine to maintain the look and feel of the material
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 02:14 AM   #12
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

When my e90 was a few years old the trim was very getting very cloudy, a year ago I used a porter cable polisher set to speed 5, with an orange polish pad and UNO polish, it is still slightly spotty from 1ft away but looks 90% better than it did and has not changed since I buffed it.

When polishing your car, do not forget the window trim and it will never cloud up on you.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:06 AM   #13
N54ScoreAnd7BeersAgo
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe--MT, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Chrome

Decorative chrome plating is sometimes called nickel-chrome plating because bright chrome plating always involves plating nickel before plating the chrome. Chromium is generally only 18 to 30 millionths of an inch thick. The nickel you see shining underneath it might be up to a thousandth of an inch thick, the nickel provides the reflectivity and most of the corrosion resistance. The chrome plating is exceptionally thin, measured in millionths of an inch rather than in thousandths.

Paint and chrome do not need to breath. There is nothing in wax that would cause chrome pitting, wax is often used when storing or transporting chromed items.

Cleaning Methodology

• Thoroughly rinse surface to remove any loose surface dirt or dust.
• Wash the surface with a d-Limonene-based (citrus) APC cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)
• Use a cleaner (P21S Polishing Soap) to remove any surface blemishes
• Use a mild polish (Happich Semichrome Polish, Autosol or P21S® Multi-Surface Finish Restorer) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating and restore lustre to the chrome
• To restore chrome that is pitted or has rust spots, remove with #0000 synthetic bronze wool and /or a metal polish (Auto Wenol Blue, or use Red for chrome restoration)
• Finally apply a polymer sealant (Zoopseal) to provide lasting protection

Due to the softness of the metallic plating it is very easy to induce a swirl marks to the finish so use straight-line motions only. Use a soft brush to remove any dried polish from seams or folds. For both chrome and highly polished aluminum, use a mildly abrasive metal polish (Iz™ Einszett Metal Polish or Groit's Chrome Polish) and a soft micro fibre towel.

Deep Chrome was designed to completely clean chrome surfaces without ever scratching. This product can be aggressively worked into a chrome surface, producing an amazing, almost-blue chrome finish. Easily removes water spots, most chemical stains, small boot marks, and the haze created by wax based chrome polishes and their protective coatings
Pitting, bubbling, flaking or lifting of the plating is impossible to remove by detailing, the chrome plating is an extremely thin coating that is easily damaged; have surface (s) professionally refinished. Some products might improve the look and protect from more widespread damage.

Vacuum-metalized (Plastic chrome) can be detected by tapping your fingernail on the surface; it has an obvious plastic tone to it, clean with a plastic cleaner / polish (Plexus) or a glass cleaner
Are you a wizard?
Appreciate 0