E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

11-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #1827
lvm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Which is the better quick detailer Meguiar's Last Touch, Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer, or one you may like better than these two?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #1828
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvm3 View Post
Which is the better quick detailer Meguiar's Last Touch, Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer, or one you may like better than these two?

Thanks
While we rarely use quick detailer at the shop now, I've always liked Final Inspection M34, but did enjoy Last Touch as well. I haven't used the Chem Guys much, but it worked fine when I used it a few months back. I'm sure you won't dislike any of those.

Ivan @ LUSTR
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #1829
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

I just picked up a new m235i, and I was wondering what products would you recommend for me to use for weekly washes and waxes as well as for the wheels. If it matters I plan to take the car in for a full detail in the spring and fall.

Thanks !

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #1830
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy04 View Post
I just picked up a new m235i, and I was wondering what products would you recommend for me to use for weekly washes and waxes as well as for the wheels. If it matters I plan to take the car in for a full detail in the spring and fall.

Thanks !
Congrats shazzy. For washing, you could start with something basic like the Starter Kit, but I'd recommend getting a couple buckets and grit guards along with a good hose nozzle, etc.

For the wheels I like P21S Wheel Cleaner and Sonax Full Effect or Plus.

For protection, HydrO2 works great and is very easy to use, especially on wheels. I like the Menzerna PowerLock sealant as well as Optimum Car Wax for the paint protection.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #1831
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Hello Ivan,

I recently got some chemical guys blitz and v07.

is it okay to dilute any of these solutions?

also regarding wet butter wax, is it okay to sort of warm it up and try applying in a more liquidly form?

thank you.
T
      12-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #1832
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Congrats shazzy. For washing, you could start with something basic like the Starter Kit, but I'd recommend getting a couple buckets and grit guards along with a good hose nozzle, etc.

For the wheels I like P21S Wheel Cleaner and Sonax Full Effect or Plus.

For protection, HydrO2 works great and is very easy to use, especially on wheels. I like the Menzerna PowerLock sealant as well as Optimum Car Wax for the paint protection.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Hello Ivan,

also regarding wet butter wax, is it okay to sort of warm it up and try applying in a more liquidly form?

thank you.
T
      12-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #1833
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
Hello Ivan,

thank you.
T
Hi T,

I have only worked with V07 out of those products and I wouldn't recommend diluting it. I'm not sure if warming the butter wax up would make it easier to apply or not, but I will try to find out. As of now, I'd say just follow whatever Chem Guys recommend on the instructions.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #1834
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
Hello Ivan,

thank you.
T
Hi T,

I have only worked with V07 out of those products and I wouldn't recommend diluting it. I'm not sure if warming the butter wax up would make it easier to apply or not, but I will try to find out. As of now, I'd say just follow whatever Chem Guys recommend on the instructions.

Ivan @ DI
thank you! hope to hear back from you soon
      12-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #1835
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So before he asked me, my brother paid for one of those Teflon coatings when he bought his WRX. Now he is considering selling the car to get something more appropriate for a family man. He asked me about a slight scratch on his hood, and some other little blemishes around that he wants me to buff out this weekend.

Is there anything I have to worry about differently with one of those coatings? I don't know if he has kept up on the annual application. I know I won't be putting the same coating back on, but does it come off funny or react differently to polishing?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #1836
Alihbaloch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i, JB4,DCI,BOV,CP,FMIC

hey there, my car is 6-7 years old, it got everyday scratches, scratches from cleaning poorly by previous owners i guess.

what product i can use to bring it back to life?
i have never used a buffer before. or any clay wax.

i have used wax and clean it with micro fiber cloth before it cleans it YES, but doesn't take scratches off.

do you recommend the chemical guys foam cannon?

what will you recommend?
      01-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #1837
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So before he asked me, my brother paid for one of those Teflon coatings when he bought his WRX. Now he is considering selling the car to get something more appropriate for a family man. He asked me about a slight scratch on his hood, and some other little blemishes around that he wants me to buff out this weekend.

Is there anything I have to worry about differently with one of those coatings? I don't know if he has kept up on the annual application. I know I won't be putting the same coating back on, but does it come off funny or react differently to polishing?
In general those teflon coatings are somewhat of a scam in my opinion. Therefore I doubt there is protection left on the surface that would alter the paint correction process unless something was applied very recently. To be safe work on a small and less visible area to ensure your polishing and/or sanding process works as expected.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #1838
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alihbaloch View Post
hey there, my car is 6-7 years old, it got everyday scratches, scratches from cleaning poorly by previous owners i guess.

what product i can use to bring it back to life?
i have never used a buffer before. or any clay wax.

i have used wax and clean it with micro fiber cloth before it cleans it YES, but doesn't take scratches off.

do you recommend the chemical guys foam cannon?

what will you recommend?
I got your PM and sent a reply!

Greg
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #1839
Alihbaloch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i, JB4,DCI,BOV,CP,FMIC

Replied
      01-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #1840
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
In general those teflon coatings are somewhat of a scam in my opinion.
I felt the same, and told him once he asked me AFTER he had already paid for it. We were able to get that "hood sliding like Bo Duke" scratches off the hood no problem, then I sealed it up with my preferred Zaino coating. Got him bucket, washing gear, and some supplies for Christmas so he could do it himself going forward. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #1841
russco
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i autovogue

Hi Guys this might have already been asked so sorry if it has. i have an blue e92 and want to get a deep gloss finish on it. I'm for the UK so sun isn't as common as the states like most of you on the forum. which products would you recommend?? also i'm thinking of buying myself a machine polisher but am scared of burning the paint work are the meguiars G220 as good as people say? any advice and opinions are appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #1842
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russco View Post
Hi Guys this might have already been asked so sorry if it has. i have an blue e92 and want to get a deep gloss finish on it. I'm for the UK so sun isn't as common as the states like most of you on the forum. which products would you recommend?? also i'm thinking of buying myself a machine polisher but am scared of burning the paint work are the meguiars G220 as good as people say? any advice and opinions are appreciated.
Glad to see you want to maintain and improve the finish on the E92, that's a great color. Your question is a bit too general as there are way too many products on the market that quite simply do the same thing. Whether you're looking for wash soaps or compounds for correcting paint, you're bound to find 20+ products that people will recommend and that work great. We have quite a few articles trying to kind of narrow this down into what many of the better detailers out there like to use, but even then it comes down to what works best for you. Meguiar's in general has the biggest selection of overall products, from washes, to clay bar, polishes, etc., but that doesn't mean you should only get Meg's products.

For example, we have some Packages that can give you an idea of what products we like to use and you can check out some articles on our Ask-A-Pro Blog to get a better understanding of some of those products.

Personally, as far as the polisher goes, I like the Griot's Garage polisher and the Porter Cable more than the Meg's G220, but I have heard good things about the G220 as well.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction!

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #1843
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Will be getting new VMR 710 with matte black finish coming in tomorrow, I want to keep them protected. What could I use on it? Keeping the matte finish. I was looking up Opti - Coat but stuff like that seems to change it to gloss. With my new rotors and pads the brake build up will be far less, just want to have it protected from salt and dirt etc.

or should I just wash them normally instead.
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #1844
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

I wash my car at the touchless car wash at least once a week, I had it clay barred and waxed about 6 months ago.

Before the summer hits (early down here in MS) I would like to have my car professionally detailed. The problem is I don't exactly know what I need. I would like the paint to be well protected and easy to maintain. What should I ask for from a detailer? How much should a good job cost?
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #1845
JRV-F82-M4
Proud Father of a Univ. of Mich. Chemical Engineer
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Nu Finish

Quick question, all I have ever done for my cars is wash them once a week and apply Nu Finish 3 or 4 times per year, what would you recommend instead?
Current: '16 F82 M4, Avus Blue, DCT, BavSound, Winters-19" 437s, Summers-19” BBS FI-Rs Past: '13 E92 M3-Jet Black, '12 E92 335is-Space Gray, '06 E90 330i-Jet Black, '99 E46-328i-Green, '96 E36 328is-Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #1846
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Krish View Post
Will be getting new VMR 710 with matte black finish coming in tomorrow, I want to keep them protected. What could I use on it? Keeping the matte finish. I was looking up Opti - Coat but stuff like that seems to change it to gloss. With my new rotors and pads the brake build up will be far less, just want to have it protected from salt and dirt etc.

or should I just wash them normally instead.
Anything you put on them will ever so slightly change the appearance. We've done quite a few sets of wheels with 22PLE wheel coating for great protection, but it did add a slight sheen to the wheels. They do still have a matte appearance and unless you have a half/half photo of them it's really not too noticeable. For the protection it provides, I think it's a good sacrifice. However, I personally like the slight sheen to it anyway, but that can be subjective of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti View Post
I wash my car at the touchless car wash at least once a week, I had it clay barred and waxed about 6 months ago.

Before the summer hits (early down here in MS) I would like to have my car professionally detailed. The problem is I don't exactly know what I need. I would like the paint to be well protected and easy to maintain. What should I ask for from a detailer? How much should a good job cost?
That's a very tough question to answer. I would first try to find a quality detailer because spending money at a place where you get some shine for a few months and that's it is simply throwing money away, whether it's $100 or $250+. A quality detailer will be able to consult you on what's best and then proceed accordingly based on what the car needs as well as your budget. If you have a car that you know will get swirl marks within a few months even if you take care of it really well, then doing some 2-3+ stages of paint polishing may be pointless. At the same time, it's good to every few years thoroughly correct the paint (as much as safely possible) in order to make it look really good. A good service that improves the paint and protects it for a long time will consist of some level of polishing, then a protective coating application, such as 22PLE or GlossCoat.

Depending on the installers pricing and skill level, you may end up paying anywhere from $500-600 on the low end and upwards of $1200-1500 on the higher end for paint correction and a coating application. Thus, you need to first find a good detailer, evaluate the car and your budget, then find the best service to fit both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV335is View Post
Quick question, all I have ever done for my cars is wash them once a week and apply Nu Finish 3 or 4 times per year, what would you recommend instead?
If that works fine then it's hard for me to say otherwise. There are many new technologies in protection that have come a long way since NuFinish that you can try out, such as the mentioned coatings above or paint sealants like Blackfire Wet Diamond, that may be worth trying out. On top of that, decontaminating the car once a year and some polishing may also be a good idea if it's never been done or at least in a while.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #1847
rxre90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i lci

I got a question I knew iys out there but do you know if there might be a diy on replacinf passenger side windows and or doors
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #1848
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxre90 View Post
I got a question I knew iys out there but do you know if there might be a diy on replacinf passenger side windows and or doors
I think you may have better luck in a different forum with that.
Appreciate 0