E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 6FL and long tracks...

10-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

6FL and long tracks...

Tried to search for this nothing came up:

Long story short, I listen to lots of electronic/house/down tempo music from various different DJ's and a lot of the stuff I listen to are recorded tracks about two hours in length (for example Essential Mix www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/essentialmix). Now I don't know if any of you have tried this or not but if you have 6FL and you try to fast forward/rewind on any of these tracks, it takes about 5 minutes to go 10 minutes into the track. I guess this is due to buffering/caching the data.

Bottomline, is there anything that I can do to speed this up? Other than wait for BMW to realize this error (very unlikely) and release a new version of PROGMAN.

Also for those guys that do share this problem with me, did you have it on any other one of your cars equipped with iPod integration?

Thanks in advance,

Dmitriy
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Are you using a thumb drive or an iPod?

I'm using an iPod. I do have the same challenge, although it feels more like 3 minutes to go 10 minutes to me. With my previous car and 2006 Alpine head unit, it was about 1 minute to go 10 minutes. That unit had the best iPod integration I've ever seen. The 6FL integration is still pretty darn good IMHO....just not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
Are you using a thumb drive or an iPod?

I'm using an iPod. I do have the same challenge, although it feels more like 3 minutes to go 10 minutes to me. With my previous car and 2006 Alpine head unit, it was about 1 minute to go 10 minutes. That unit had the best iPod integration I've ever seen. The 6FL integration is still pretty darn good IMHO....just not perfect.
I'm using an iPod Video - 60GB. It takes soo long to fast forward, also if you pay attention enough you will realize that the time elapsed on the iDrive screen is completley off. To test this, do the following:

1. With the ipod unplugged from the car open a long track, fast forward to a section in the song. For example fast forward to 30:25 (30 Minutes, 25 seconds).

2.Plug the iPod into the 6FL and do the same only with the iDrive.

Result: The song you listened to when the iPod was unplugged is totally in a diffrenent place then what you are listening to right now. I'm not sure why this happens, possibly a programing error.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

I don't have iDrive, but the slow FF also happens without it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

how are your gaps between tracks? say for instance you have a mixed album but theyre tracked does it play seamlessly as intended or is there a second or so gap whilst it changes?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
how are your gaps between tracks? say for instance you have a mixed album but theyre tracked does it play seamlessly as intended or is there a second or so gap whilst it changes?
Plays seamlessly, as long as you the right firmware version on your iPod. This actually has nothing to do with iDrive since the audio is coming directly from the iPod's 3.5mm output, not the data out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

cheers man i now have greater confidence i pick up 2moro wish me luck.... with the way the dealers been i frickin need it
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
cheers man i now have greater confidence i pick up 2moro wish me luck.... with the way the dealers been i frickin need it
Good luck man! Post pics!!! Remember first mod = tints!!
Appreciate 0