E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth

10-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #331
wagn8r
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

thread revival here:

Does anyone have a link to info about DIY re-coding for radio replacements?

I came across a post a few months back and have not been able to find it since...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #332
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagn8r
thread revival here:

Does anyone have a link to info about DIY re-coding for radio replacements?

I came across a post a few months back and have not been able to find it since...
I had to get help on mine. Usually you code the VO and process car and you are done
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:05 AM   #333
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I have a 04/2007 E90 with Professional radio head unit, no iDrive/Navigation, no PDC, but it does have built-in Bluetooth and USB in the center console.

All I want to do is get the newer "gong" sound. Do do this, do I just need to get a newer radio head unit and change the one line in the KOMBI module?

I found a 2010 unit for pretty cheap.
2007 MY units do not have built-in Bluetooth and USB functions, they are provided by separate modules via MOST bus. So if you want to to install past 2007/09 HU with nice gong you need to ensure that it have MOST pins in quadlock connector, some of them don't
      10-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #334
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
2007 MY units do not have built-in Bluetooth and USB functions, they are provided by separate modules via MOST bus. So if you want to to install past 2007/09 HU with nice gong you need to ensure that it have MOST pins in quadlock connector, some of them don't
How do I go about verifying this?

Is there any specific year/month unit that will work without question?

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #335
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

it should be past 2007/09 and have MOST connector
http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/di...66530.jpg.html

Last edited by ptpending; 10-19-2016 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 11:38 PM   #336
adl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116 I

Please, Tell me if the microphone should Be plug where I sign with red.
Thank You!

Last edited by adl; 11-13-2016 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 03:14 AM   #337
morto
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

I done this retrofit in my car everything works, but not too great! The sound from new unit especially from usb port is not enough loud! What can I do for this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #338
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by morto View Post
I done this retrofit in my car everything works, but not too great! The sound from new unit especially from usb port is not enough loud! What can I do for this issue?
Make sure you have initialized the car audio setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:24 AM   #339
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Hi folks,

Seen this issue posted in this thread many times but no definitive answer yet. If you know anything, please chip in!

2010 US 135i with base stereo ($663). Bought and installed the Alpine retrofit, but cannot code HU to hifi with NCS 4.01 over CAN. Added $676 to VO and wrote to CAS & NFRM. Attempting to read or write to 2URAD errors out (although I think I got a .TRC file), so I've done multiple SG_RESET's, but the HU will not pick up the $676 from the VO.

I've tried adding $644 and $620 to the VO, but NCS won't allow it since I don't have USB.

Any suggestions? These loud gongs are driving me batty. Thanks all,

ianc
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:35 AM   #340
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

you need icom or good dcan adapter
try to search local coder with icom
      03-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #341
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Got a good dcan adapter, but no worky. I haven't seen any posts from anyone who can't read or write to/from the rad/2urad that have been able to do it yet with NCS.

Maybe I should think about trying to grab a copy of ISTA/P...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #342
Jdebeer182
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d e90

Good evening all, thanks to this thread I bought the radio with built in bluetooth and usb.

I have installed it and it works great. The problem is as follows. I have installed the microphone and it seems the radio is preceded for bluetooth because I can make and receive calls. I hear the person on the other end, but they can not hear me.

Do I need to add a code to enable the microphone or is there a other problem that I need to look for.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #343
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdebeer182 View Post
Good evening all, thanks to this thread I bought the radio with built in bluetooth and usb.

I have installed it and it works great. The problem is as follows. I have installed the microphone and it seems the radio is preceded for bluetooth because I can make and receive calls. I hear the person on the other end, but they can not hear me.

Do I need to add a code to enable the microphone or is there a other problem that I need to look for.
Do a search on the board for "microphone repin" - it's possible that there's a different location in the wiring harness for a mic used for voice control (which goes to the CCC/CIC module) vs the mic wiring used for bluetooth (which goes to the module controlling that, in your case, the headunit itself).

I'm not sure how the harnessing should work for your case, where you have the radio with built-in bluetooth instead of an external MULF module. But I'm guessing you've got the mic plugged into the wrong wiring harness endpoint.
      05-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #344
Jdebeer182
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Do a search on the board for "microphone repin" - it's possible that there's a different location in the wiring harness for a mic used for voice control (which goes to the CCC/CIC module) vs the mic wiring used for bluetooth (which goes to the module controlling that, in your case, the headunit itself).

I'm not sure how the harnessing should work for your case, where you have the radio with built-in bluetooth instead of an external MULF module. But I'm guessing you've got the mic plugged into the wrong wiring harness endpoint.
Hi all. I am plugging the mic strait to the back of the radio as per the video. But will try the resin under the dash ad well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #345
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdebeer182 View Post
Hi all. I am plugging the mic strait to the back of the radio as per the video. But will try the resin under the dash ad well.
Interesting. I'm not really sure how this works with the built-in bluetooth version of the radio. My suggestion could be totally irrelevant.
      05-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #346
ilgidi
Rep
Drives: E91 320D Touring Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
Hi mates!

This time I am showing you how to identify and retrofit a new Professional Head Unit wit built-in USB and Bluetooth features on my e93 from 05/2007

The improvement is very high!
Now, I have an USB socket and I don't need my iPod anymore because the USB can organize music by Artist/Songs/PLS Playlists/Styles... and it is very fast when searching a track

The sound is now much more clear and the subwoofers have more punch.
Bluetooth is enough. It is not the best for me (my old Parrot MKi9100 has more features like A2DP streaming music, real voice recognition...)

The built-in bluetooth can read your contact list, you can manage it with the steering wheel buttons and you can dial a number with the voice recognition.
But it cannot stream music and you cannot dial a name of your contact list, you have to save it before in the radio memory.

PDC is better now because cars before 09/2007 has a buzzer for the PDC, now, the sound is more 'elegant' and in stereo (you can hear it an obstacle is on your left or right)

Other features:
- OBC (the same than the cluster, fuel consumption, average speed, outside temp...)
- Stationary blower: I can program the cabin vent
- Better display with much more information

This is how I did it:
Remember that you can see it in HD

I hope this could be useful for anybody. I will answer the questions you could have.

Regards!
PS: Remember that you can watch my other DIY's at www.youtube.com/josejjn

EDIT

This weekend finally I managed to enable Spanish voice recognition!

For me is a great achievement! Of course, english worked perfectly but now is much better
Hey I know this post is a little old. I did the retrofit and all works well with the exception of USB. When I try switching into USB all I get is insert USB. I formatted a usb to FAT32 and copied in a bunch of mp3s butI still get the same "error" - Insert USB then just two dashes..only to switch back to where I was before. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #347
diabe
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

hi, can anyone tell me is this thing in red circle a USB connection ? this unit is really cheap, if it this is USB port, i'll buy it

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #348
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabe View Post
hi, can anyone tell me is this thing in red circle a USB connection ? this unit is really cheap, if it this is USB port, i'll buy it

View post on imgur.com
No thats sat radio
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #349
sword
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 2010 - 316i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
Hi mates!

This time I am showing you how to identify and retrofit a new Professional Head Unit wit built-in USB and Bluetooth features on my e93 from 05/2007

The improvement is very high!
Now, I have an USB socket and I don't need my iPod anymore because the USB can organize music by Artist/Songs/PLS Playlists/Styles... and it is very fast when searching a track

The sound is now much more clear and the subwoofers have more punch.
Bluetooth is enough. It is not the best for me (my old Parrot MKi9100 has more features like A2DP streaming music, real voice recognition...)

The built-in bluetooth can read your contact list, you can manage it with the steering wheel buttons and you can dial a number with the voice recognition.
But it cannot stream music and you cannot dial a name of your contact list, you have to save it before in the radio memory.

PDC is better now because cars before 09/2007 has a buzzer for the PDC, now, the sound is more 'elegant' and in stereo (you can hear it an obstacle is on your left or right)

Other features:
- OBC (the same than the cluster, fuel consumption, average speed, outside temp...)
- Stationary blower: I can program the cabin vent
- Better display with much more information

This is how I did it:
Remember that you can see it in HD

I hope this could be useful for anybody. I will answer the questions you could have.

Regards!
PS: Remember that you can watch my other DIY's at www.youtube.com/josejjn

EDIT

This weekend finally I managed to enable Spanish voice recognition!

For me is a great achievement! Of course, english worked perfectly but now is much better
Hi there
I am from Egypt, I have E90 LCI 2010 -316i date 28/3/2010
I don't know if my care is Bluetooth capable or not?
Plus I heard that there are some special HU with Bluetooth embedded, but I don't know how to know it from serial number ?
Thanks in advance
Edit QUOTE
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #350
kandracs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E87

Hi everybody,

I watched that video and I read all comments here. I have a professional radio with aux and usb(e87 116i). I would like install the bluetooth. First I check my radio, it have a bluetooth icon in the top ,but there wasn not connect microphone I connected. After that I can not see the telephone icon in the radio menu. I have not MULF,ULF device in the boot. How can I activate the bluetooth? May be should I have disasemble my radio and set a micro switch or something?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #351
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandracs View Post
Hi everybody,

I watched that video and I read all comments here. I have a professional radio with aux and usb(e87 116i). I would like install the bluetooth. First I check my radio, it have a bluetooth icon in the top ,but there wasn not connect microphone I connected. After that I can not see the telephone icon in the radio menu. I have not MULF,ULF device in the boot. How can I activate the bluetooth? May be should I have disasemble my radio and set a micro switch or something?
You will need Icom to code the radio.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #352
kandracs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
You will need Icom to code the radio.
Thanks the answer. What is exactly the Icom and how can I use?
Appreciate 0