E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Review: Sonic Tuning interior LED kit

09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Review: Sonic Tuning interior LED kit

This review has been long overdue. I'll start with what I like about the kit, then briefly touch on what could be better, followed by my final thoughts.

My overall rating based on points mention below: 10/10

Positive:

Price
The price of this kit ($55) is a big reason why I chose it. As anyone looking for an interior LED kit already knows, a lot of the ones out there are insanely overpriced. There is no way I was going to spend over $100 on a handful of LEDs. In my opinion at $55 you can't beat this, it has to be one of the cheapest complete LED kits available for our cars.

Sonic Tuning
When doing my research I had noticed that there were countless threads about horrible customer service from various companies that supply these type of LED kits. I wanted to make sure when I purchase mine that it wasn't going to be a situation were they said they had it in stock and then I come to find out I have to wait weeks while the order it form China. This was not the case with Sonic Tuning; I had a perfect experience dealing with them. I got a confirmation of my order and tracking number from the shipment within a day, and the kit got to me within the week.

Quality
The quality of the LEDs was spot on. I had read about some people having LEDs break or having improper fitment, this is not the case with the SOnic Tuning kit. Everything kit perfect and was of great quality. Not to mention that the light output and color are exactly what I was going for. As you will see in the pictures below, these LEDs have a nice even light output with no hotspots and the color is pure white with not hints of blue (something I was very big on). All I can say is the quality was top notch and exactly what I was looking for.

Installation
Installing the kit was a breeze; it took me about an hour (I was taking my time) but you shouldn't have a problem doing it in 30 minutes. All the LEDS fit perfect as I mention, so the only thing was making sure they were installed right and that you took the necessary steps to not blow a fuse, etc.
Here is the link to the DIY post I used, it was a great help and easy to follow. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231 The only thing I would mention is that when installing the front dome lights it is easier to remove the front visors (the tab closest to the dome lights) and release the mental tabs holding the unit in from the front instead of trying to get them from the sunroof.

Negatives:

The only real negative things about this kit, which actually have nothing to do with the LEDs themselves is that there were no instructions or labels for the LEDs provided by Sonic Tuning. Now this is by no means a big issue because the DIY thread provided above lists the types of LEDs and were they go along with a very detailed installation guide; however, it would have been nice if one was provided with the kit from Sonic Tuning instead of leaving their customers to figure it out for themselves. This is really the only critique I have of the kit.

Final Thoughts:

As you can tell by reading my remarks, I'm incredibly pleased with this purchase. In my opinion for $55 you can't beat this. It is of top quality and completely transforms the look of your interior making it look fresh and clean. I would definitely recommend that anyone looking at interior LED kits seriously consider this one. Having had it for about 2 months now I have not had a single problem and wouldn't consider any other kit.

Here are some pictures of the kit at night (the picture quality isn't the best, taken on an iPhone, but you can see how bright and evenly distributed the light output is):

Picture of the LED kit through 20% tint:
      09-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

thats great for you. My kit came with two non-working bulbs, and some of the "T10" bulbs did not work in specific sockets (yes i flipped them around to change polarity) so instructions would of been nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
thats great for you. My kit came with two non-working bulbs, and some of the "T10" bulbs did not work in specific sockets (yes i flipped them around to change polarity) so instructions would of been nice.
I can't comment on the bulbs not working since nothing was wrong with my kit. Did you contact Sonic Tuning and if so did they fix the problem?
      09-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I am planning to install my kit tonight. Based on the instructions for the front dome light do I still need to remove the metal tabs to access the light bulb? I think I remember reading in the instructions to remove the 2 metal rings for the map light.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC212NYC View Post
I am planning to install my kit tonight. Based on the instructions for the front dome light do I still need to remove the metal tabs to access the light bulb? I think I remember reading in the instructions to remove the 2 metal rings for the map light.
You can do it that way but unless you have REALLY small hands it is a pain in the ass. I would recommend removing the tabs that hold the visor in place (the ones that closest to the center of the dome lights) All you have to do is pop up the cover hiding the screws then you can pull the tabs out. The ends of the tabs hold the headliner up in the middle. After you remove them, all you have to do is reach in the headliner, were the rearview mirror is, and depress the two metal tabs holding the dome light unit in place. After that it is just like replacing the ones in the back. I hope this helped.
      09-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335 View Post
You can do it that way but unless you have REALLY small hands it is a pain in the ass. I would recommend removing the tabs that hold the visor in place (the ones that closest to the center of the dome lights) All you have to do is pop up the cover hiding the screws then you can pull the tabs out. The ends of the tabs hold the headliner up in the middle. After you remove them, all you have to do is reach in the headliner, were the rearview mirror is, and depress the two metal tabs holding the dome light unit in place. After that it is just like replacing the ones in the back. I hope this helped.
Thanks for the update. I'll give this a shot tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This worked like a charm the hardest part of this whole thing was snapping the plastic cover back on the dome lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This worked like a charm the hardest part of this whole thing was snapping the plastic cover back on the dome lights.
Glad it helped you out, when I did mine I tried for about 30 minutes to get to them from the sunroof but it just wasn't possible for me. Going in from the front like that makes it so much easier to do and it only takes around 5 minutes to do the domes. How do you like the LED kit?
      09-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad it helped you out, when I did mine I tried for about 30 minutes to get to them from the sunroof but it just wasn't possible for me. Going in from the front like that makes it so much easier to do and it only takes around 5 minutes to do the domes. How do you like the LED kit?
I am glad you posted this short-cut because the other instruction on the DIY seem like too much work to access the front dome light. Once I got the liner down it was just a matter of pushing the clips with enough force to get it to release.

I am loving the LED upgrade so far. Good upgrade for the price. I find myself unlocking the door just to see the lights come on haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am glad you posted this short-cut because the other instruction on the DIY seem like too much work to access the front dome light. Once I got the liner down it was just a matter of pushing the clips with enough force to get it to release.

I am loving the LED upgrade so far. Good upgrade for the price. I find myself unlocking the door just to see the lights come on haha.
Haha, I know what you mean, they make such a big different in the overall look of the interior. They give it that crisp, clean feel and boy are they bright.
      10-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
Just wondering if this issue is resolved.

Give us a call if you haven't received your replacement.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This review has been long overdue. I'll start with what I like about the kit, then briefly touch on what could be better, followed by my final thoughts.

My overall rating based on points mention below: 10/10

Positive:

Price
The price of this kit ($55) is a big reason why I chose it. As anyone looking for an interior LED kit already knows, a lot of the ones out there are insanely overpriced. There is no way I was going to spend over $100 on a handful of LEDs. In my opinion at $55 you can't beat this, it has to be one of the cheapest complete LED kits available for our cars.

Sonic Tuning
When doing my research I had noticed that there were countless threads about horrible customer service from various companies that supply these type of LED kits. I wanted to make sure when I purchase mine that it wasn't going to be a situation were they said they had it in stock and then I come to find out I have to wait weeks while the order it form China. This was not the case with Sonic Tuning; I had a perfect experience dealing with them. I got a confirmation of my order and tracking number from the shipment within a day, and the kit got to me within the week.

Quality
The quality of the LEDs was spot on. I had read about some people having LEDs break or having improper fitment, this is not the case with the SOnic Tuning kit. Everything kit perfect and was of great quality. Not to mention that the light output and color are exactly what I was going for. As you will see in the pictures below, these LEDs have a nice even light output with no hotspots and the color is pure white with not hints of blue (something I was very big on). All I can say is the quality was top notch and exactly what I was looking for.

Installation
Installing the kit was a breeze; it took me about an hour (I was taking my time) but you shouldn't have a problem doing it in 30 minutes. All the LEDS fit perfect as I mention, so the only thing was making sure they were installed right and that you took the necessary steps to not blow a fuse, etc.
Here is the link to the DIY post I used, it was a great help and easy to follow. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231 The only thing I would mention is that when installing the front dome lights it is easier to remove the front visors (the tab closest to the dome lights) and release the mental tabs holding the unit in from the front instead of trying to get them from the sunroof.

Negatives:

The only real negative things about this kit, which actually have nothing to do with the LEDs themselves is that there were no instructions or labels for the LEDs provided by Sonic Tuning. Now this is by no means a big issue because the DIY thread provided above lists the types of LEDs and were they go along with a very detailed installation guide; however, it would have been nice if one was provided with the kit from Sonic Tuning instead of leaving their customers to figure it out for themselves. This is really the only critique I have of the kit.

Final Thoughts:

As you can tell by reading my remarks, I'm incredibly pleased with this purchase. In my opinion for $55 you can't beat this. It is of top quality and completely transforms the look of your interior making it look fresh and clean. I would definitely recommend that anyone looking at interior LED kits seriously consider this one. Having had it for about 2 months now I have not had a single problem and wouldn't consider any other kit.

Here are some pictures of the kit at night (the picture quality isn't the best, taken on an iPhone, but you can see how bright and evenly distributed the light output is):

Picture of the LED kit through 20% tint:

Thanks for the review and the pictures.

We fixed the issue with our link to instruction, when you purchase the LED kit you will receive a link to the guideline for installation.

Sorry about the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_sonictuning View Post
Just wondering if this issue is resolved.

Give us a call if you haven't received your replacement.

Yes it was resolved perfectly! Thanks great customer service.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm semi local to the Sonic Tuning location, I visit that area on the weekends. Do you guy at Sonic Tuning have a store front there (as in, can I come in in-person and make a purchase) or do I have to order online and have it shipped?
      10-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
TN335i
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Will these work on e90s?

BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN335i View Post
Will these work on e90s?
Yes I have them in my E90, you just get different types of lights depending on whether you have a E90, E92, or E93. When you order off there website there is an option to identify if it's for a sedan or coupe.
      11-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
I'm semi local to the Sonic Tuning location, I visit that area on the weekends. Do you guy at Sonic Tuning have a store front there (as in, can I come in in-person and make a purchase) or do I have to order online and have it shipped?
We do have a showroom, let me know when you want to drop by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN335i View Post
Will these work on e90s?
Yes it will.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
davejensen34
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive - Black

Garage List
2007 355i  [0.00]
Link to product?

I went to your site and I don't see the interior LED lighting pack. Does it come with all 14 bulbs? Can you post a link to the set?

EDIT:

I found them by searching for 'T10'.

Last edited by davejensen34; 11-05-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
davejensen34
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 355i  [0.00]
Also, does this light kit dim when turning on and off? Also, the site lists the following components:

Brightest solution on the market for the price range, pure white LEDs that matches your door handle.

We put together the brightest solution for your E9x without putting a dent in your wallet.

Flux Panel 12 SMD High-Powered (x2) - Front & Rear Center Dome

Flank 8 SMD High-Powered LED (x4) - Footwell & Door Courtesy

T10 5 SMD High-Powered LED (x4) - Front & Rear Map Light

Festoon 8 SMD High-Powered LED (x3) - Visor & Trunk

Festoon 16 SMD High-Powered LED (x3) - Glove Compartment %%%%%%Do you really ship 3 Glove compartment lights?%%%%%%

**T5 3 SMD LED (x4) - Back Center Console

Last edited by davejensen34; 11-05-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejensen34 View Post
Also, does this light kit dim when turning on and off? Also, the site lists the following components:

Brightest solution on the market for the price range, pure white LEDs that matches your door handle.

We put together the brightest solution for your E9x without putting a dent in your wallet.

Flux Panel 12 SMD High-Powered (x2) - Front & Rear Center Dome

Flank 8 SMD High-Powered LED (x4) - Footwell & Door Courtesy

T10 5 SMD High-Powered LED (x4) - Front & Rear Map Light

Festoon 8 SMD High-Powered LED (x3) - Visor & Trunk

Festoon 16 SMD High-Powered LED (x3) - Glove Compartment %%%%%%Do you really ship 3 Glove compartment lights?%%%%%%

**T5 3 SMD LED (x4) - Back Center Console
The front and back dome lights do dim on and off when turning the car on. Honestly, you won't find a better complete kit in this price range.
      11-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
davejensen34
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 355i  [0.00]
Quote:
The front and back dome lights do dim on and off when turning the car on. Honestly, you won't find a better complete kit in this price range.
Why are you a plastidip hater?
Appreciate 0