E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > The Moneyshift...

09-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
socal330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 manual BMW 330i

The Moneyshift...

Well I've done it folks, I was doing some spirited driving in Mexico and powershifted stupidly from 3-4 (2) without backhanding... I popped the clutch back in in well under a second but not before it probably at least partially engaged, locking up the tires and killing the engine. I figured it would never start again but after getting a jump it started no problem without any weird noises. A month later and I'm still seeing no issues/changes. However I'm not an idiot, a misshift that severe is almost bound to do something and I wanted to get some advice on what I should do. Also worth noting, I got a "timing over retarded" code 2x but I cleared it and haven't gotten one since. If anyone has any advice for me on what to do I'd greatly appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Keep an eye on it. If it breaks it breaks. If you have concerns, a compression check would show valve damage. A camera inspection of the cylinders would show damage on the piston tops.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:31 AM   #3
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Did you actually overrev? It's very possible you shifted into second, let the clutch out, then stabbed the clutch pedal back down before the revs went to something dangerous (over 7500, I'd say).
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
socal330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 manual BMW 330i

It was a definite overrev, I,m not sure to what extent but the clutch was let fully out before I pushed it back in and the car died/wouldn't start without a jump
Appreciate 0