E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 LCI projector lens type?

01-28-2024, 07:02 PM   #1
Aramis
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330XD

E90 LCI projector lens type?

Hey,

I’m thinking about modding my headlights, but i’m unable to find any info on what type of projectors do the bi-xenons use. Are they standardized and any old projector would work or are there certain things to keep in mind when choosing an aftermarket lens. I was able to find Hella 3R G5-s with a honeycomb lens. But i’m unsure if they would fit and work
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

I wouldn't waste the time putting lenses on stock projectors. You'll want to order adapters and put completely new projectors in (G5-BRT, MLED 2.0, NHK etc)

You can get adapters and the projectors from LightWerkz Global. I've used them a few times, they also do retrofits.. Great shop.
      01-29-2024, 10:43 AM   #3
Aramis
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
I wouldn't waste the time putting lenses on stock projectors. You'll want to order adapters and put completely new projectors in (G5-BRT, MLED 2.0, NHK etc)

You can get adapters and the projectors from LightWerkz Global. I've used them a few times, they also do retrofits.. Great shop.
I might have wrote it wrong, my plan is to replace the whole unit, but i have no idea, if there are any direct replacemets. I was able to dig out Hella 3R G5-s and adapter plates. I already looked at LightWerkz, but they are based out of the US, so i can’t imagine what the shipping would be to the EU.

I put up a couple of screenshots for what im currently looking to get. The main question would be that, what are the OEM projectors for non-AFS? The assemblies themselves are ZKW-s
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:07 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post

Any specific reason why new projectors are preferred over just replacing the lens? I've heard/seen some good results from just replacing the lenses with good quality clear ones.

I have LCI adaptive projectors on my E90 (with the adaptive function disabled; lights are broken internally and I had to permanently fasten them pointing straight.) I already have a custom set of brackets that replace the frame for the existing projector that fits the G5 projectors. I was thinking of using the G5-BRT projectors. Will I be able to re-use my existing shrouds with those projectors? If not, what's recommended to easily fit the G5 inside the LCI lights?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 07:41 PM   #5
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Any specific reason why new projectors are preferred over just replacing the lens? I've heard/seen some good results from just replacing the lenses with good quality clear ones.

I have LCI adaptive projectors on my E90 (with the adaptive function disabled; lights are broken internally and I had to permanently fasten them pointing straight.) I already have a custom set of brackets that replace the frame for the existing projector that fits the G5 projectors. I was thinking of using the G5-BRT projectors. Will I be able to re-use my existing shrouds with those projectors? If not, what's recommended to easily fit the G5 inside the LCI lights?
The crappy plastic projectors are the reason why the stock output is so bad. Clear lenses will give you a sharp cutoff and a sense that you improved the output but really its still dismal compared to replacing the projector with something quality. If you are going the the effort of opening up your permasealed headlights you might as well do the whole shabang IMO.

I used lightwerks adaptive brackets and retrofitted G5BRTs. Lots of trimming involved if you want to retain the adaptive feature, the site says they are plug and play but that is totally bullshit. I ended up just coding off my adaptive and doing a fixed a mount install because the projectors 'jiggled' a lot when hitting bumps (same as the stock headlights do). The BRTs beam width is soooo much wider than stock that adaptive is not really necessary.

I was able to re-use the stock shrouds by cutting little slots in the G5 projector casing with a dremel to allow the the shrouds to 'clip' on. Added epoxy to where they attach to make sure they didn't fall off.
Appreciate 1
lowrydr3101684.50
      03-15-2024, 12:47 AM   #6
nthnthnthnth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

In addition to what the above poster said, the reflector bowls in the projector can also burn out and lose reflectivity over time. Replacing the lens alone wouldn’t address that. Ultimately for the amount of work involved in replacing the lens you may as well replace the entire projector assembly (including the lens) with something new and higher quality.

I had the same G5-BRT swap done and posted comparison photos here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1912281
Appreciate 0