E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Official New England Chat Forum (#2)

05-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #331
quantumx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Last MBA class ever tonight!!
Nice man, congrats! I got my MBA last year. Not a bad thing to have. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #332
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
congrats Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #333
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Quote:
Congrats sir Jealous!
I just took 2 grad finals this morning. 4 more courses for my M.S. in Systems Engineering.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #334
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Thanks guys! Feels great to be done!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #335
Eightman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

So I picked up my car from the detailer on Wednesday evening and drove up to my girlfriend's place for the night. I make a point to park away from trees and other cars but I came out in the morning and there were three enormous bird dumps on my hood, one on my roof, and its covered in flower pedals from a tree across the street. W..T...F!! I realize getting the paint sealed and waxed is more than just aesthetics but what a waste. I didn't even get one day to enjoy the fresh detail shine.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #336
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
i had my car washed last Friday and it's now dirty thanks to the rain
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #337
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Congrats Adam! That's a huge accomplishment!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #338
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sigh. I curbed the first wheel of my life yesterday. I was pulling up to the front door of a friend's apartment building and didn't notice the curb was at a weird angle jetting outward towards the road at the crest of a small hill. There was an obnoxious prick in an Escalade behind me on my bumper (I was going slower than he wanted to go over speed bumps) so I was focused more on that.

It's really not bad (about 2" worth of minor rash) but needs to be fixed now that I know it's there. I'm going to call RimPro and see how much it's going to cost.

Edit: DIY it is. RimPro wants $180 to refinish the whole wheel. I don't think that's necessary, and DIY really isn't complicated. I'll order stuff today and document the process when I get around to fixing it.

X7 LCI // Incoming

Last edited by jopa489; 05-06-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #339
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

How do you local guys have your V1 radar detectors set up? Its been sitting in my room making me feel bad for not using it. I wanna hardwire it since I don't wanna keep the ashtray open the whole time. Seems too easy to fuck up these German electronics though :/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #340
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Sigh. I curbed the first wheel of my life yesterday. I was pulling up to the front door of a friend's apartment building and didn't notice the curb was at a weird angle jetting outward towards the road at the crest of a small hill. There was an obnoxious prick in an Escalade behind me on my bumper (I was going slower than he wanted to go over speed bumps) so I was focused more on that.

It's really not bad (about 2" worth of minor rash) but needs to be fixed now that I know it's there. I'm going to call RimPro and see how much it's going to cost.

Edit: DIY it is. RimPro wants $180 to refinish the whole wheel. I don't think that's necessary, and DIY really isn't complicated. I'll order stuff today and document the process when I get around to fixing it.
Joe, I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me last weekend. Just about finished repairing the damage though. I'll post up a thread to document my process. Let me know if you have any questions
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #341
Eightman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
How do you local guys have your V1 radar detectors set up? Its been sitting in my room making me feel bad for not using it. I wanna hardwire it since I don't wanna keep the ashtray open the whole time. Seems too easy to fuck up these German electronics though :/
I had the V1 installed by a friend of mine. I used the suction cup holder and tucked it up just above and to the right of my rear view mirror. My buddy ran the wire up into the headliner along the windshield and down the A pillar to a spare slot in the fuse box. Its up and out of the way and turns on and off with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #342
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Headed to Tint King now to pick my car up. Anxious to see how the dot matrix came out with this new Huper tint. Also anxious to see if it screws with my Comfort Access, because I've heard lots of complaints about Huper Optic and CA. Apparently they only had this Huper film in 50%, but he said with the factory dye in the windows it should come down to high 30%. Unfortunately I have beige interior, so it's going to look pretty light, but all my local inspection stations are real sticklers for tint (as are the cops).

I'll post some pics in a few hours once I get home.

EDIT: Dot matrix looks absolutely incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a better one on forums, in person, or otherwise. I'm thrilled. Tint isn't quite as dark as I would've liked, but I wanted to stay legal and it's at about 37% right now.

Last edited by dwells; 05-06-2011 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #343
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
Joe, I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me last weekend. Just about finished repairing the damage though. I'll post up a thread to document my process. Let me know if you have any questions
This could be relevant to my interests...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #344
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, I would really appreciate that!

I was going to order this kit from AutoGeek: http://www.autogeek.net/german-wheel...epair-kit.html

The damage is to the 162's so the stuff in that kit should match the finish from what I've read.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #345
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Quote:
Awesome, I would really appreciate that!

I was going to order this kit from AutoGeek: http://www.autogeek.net/german-wheel...epair-kit.html

The damage is to the 162's so the stuff in that kit should match the finish from what I've read.
Hmm, never seen that kit before. Seems a bit overkill though. All you'll really need is assorted sandpaper (600-2500 depending on severity of damage), IPA, self-etching primer, paint, clear. Possibly some bondo if you have a nasty gouge that needs to be filled.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #346
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

I'll make a thread to post some better pictures tomorrow once the tint finishes drying and there's actually sunlight out, but for now these should get the point across on how the dot matrix came out with the new Huper tint Brian recommended.

Note the very minor bubbling along the bottom and sides. Nothing on the top dot matrix though.

Here's a close up of one corner (the other looks the same). Some minor bubbling on the side, but the dot matrix itself is flawless.

I'm absolutely thrilled with how this came out. I've been putting off tinting for so long because I was afraid of that dot matrix, but now that I've got it done it looks great!
      05-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #347
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
That came out great! They really did great work!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #348
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, never seen that kit before. Seems a bit overkill though. All you'll really need is assorted sandpaper (600-2500 depending on severity of damage), IPA, self-etching primer, paint, clear. Possibly some bondo if you have a nasty gouge that needs to be filled.
Maybe I'll pass on the kit and just get the filler primer, paint, and clear. I was moving at a walking pace so no gouge, just a bit of rash. Not sure if I'll need any bondo, I can post up a picture tomorrow for your professional opinion.

I have IPA (and paint thinner) to strip/clean the wheel and assorted sandpaper. And I'll definitely take the wheel off the car and mask it off very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I'll make a thread to post some better pictures tomorrow once the tint finishes drying and there's actually sunlight out, but for now these should get the point across on how the dot matrix came out with the new Huper tint Brian recommended.
Looks GREAT! If I had an E92, I'd have the same reservations about tint as you did. But it looks like they did a great job!

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #349
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post

Here's a close up of one corner (the other looks the same). Some minor bubbling on the side, but the dot matrix itself is flawless.

I'm absolutely thrilled with how this came out. I've been putting off tinting for so long because I was afraid of that dot matrix, but now that I've got it done it looks great!
not bad from the pics

Quote:
Maybe I'll pass on the kit and just get the filler primer, paint, and clear. I was moving at a walking pace so no gouge, just a bit of rash. Not sure if I'll need any bondo, I can post up a picture tomorrow for your professional opinion.

I have IPA (and paint thinner) to strip/clean the wheel and assorted sandpaper. And I'll definitely take the wheel off the car and mask it off very well.

Looks GREAT! If I had an E92, I'd have the same reservations about tint as you did. But it looks like they did a great job!
i got paint thinner, red bondo, & primer if you need it. just don't have the perfect matching paint. I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer to work on my winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #350
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
i got paint thinner, red bondo, & primer if you need it. just don't have the perfect matching paint. I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer to work on my winter setup.
Maybe we can have a wheel-fixing meet..

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #351
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Thanks to Dave for installing my Bilstein Sport Shocks! Ride is much better, great work!

Not to mention it only took 2 hours. Well worth the trip.

Last edited by MassBimmer; 05-08-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #352
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Spun my KW V1s all the way down in front and still have fender gap. wtf...
DTM installed my rears upside down, so I can't get the spanner wrench in to adjust.
Appreciate 0