E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Time to Take this to the Courts (PS PULLEY AND SERPENTINE BELT)

05-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #45
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean978 View Post
This happened to me while running at the drag strip a few nights ago. PS pulley contacted the subframe during a quarter mile run shifting from 3rd-4th gear. Serpentine belt shredded and pulley was damaged. Had to be trailered home.

Has anyone upgraded the left side motor mount to an aftermarket or even 335iS mount? I suspect if the mount goes to shit on that side then replacing the serpentine belt and PS pulley isn't fixing the root cause, it's just fixing the symptom, and this will continually be a problem with spirited driving.
Between upgrading the motor mounts and notching the sub frame, I'm not really sure there is much else you can do
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #46
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

it just happened to me for the second time last night... twice in a year... this is ridiculous. they told me i have to pay for a new subframe if i want it fixed. over $2k
FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #47
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep

i just bought a new pulley and took drivers side mount off, and filled it with window weld. we will see how it holds up.
FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #48
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMTL2_335i View Post
i just bought a new pulley and took drivers side mount off, and filled it with window weld. we will see how it holds up.
Interesting...noticed any increased NVH with the window weld in there?

How much of a gouge has been knocked out of your subframe thus far? That would be interesting to see a pic of the damage. Also, I haven't paid enough attention to this while under the car, but how is the PS unit held in place? Wondering if that could be made more solid somehow, or if that would even help any (just thinking out loud).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #49
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep

i did not noticed any difference. people warned me that it would make my car vibrate a lot, it doesn't.

because of the angle, i wasn't able to shave much of it. I didn't care much about shaving it because i was modding the mount.

the ps unit is held by only three screws. don't think you can make it more "solid". it is the fact that the engine twits during high load/tq and bounces back in place making the the pulley contact the frame... there isn't enough clearance between the pulley and the frame to begin with, hence making that mount a little more solid "should" help. I didnt do the passenger side because i don't feel like doing all that work at the moment lol
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #50
Dutchdaddy
Court Appointed Jester
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/X5d

Garage List
2012 X5  [0.00]
2011 335d  [0.00]
Mine just went, not sure if I am the first diesel driver that this has happened to. 39K miles. 2011 335d M-sport

Did not notice PS issue, however, A/C only blows hot air.... I found this post whilst researching potential problem areas...

06-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #51
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nobody knows if the IS motor mount is different. Im checking REAL OEM right now.

Comparing a July 2007 E90 335i USA, mine. Vs. a 2011 E92 335is N54T engine code.

-The Left and Right engine mount brackets are the same part #.
-The Left side engine mount is the same part #.
-The Right side engine mount is DIFFERENT. My car calls for a 22116773744. The '11 335is calls for a 22116793240. That is the only item that could theoretically be changed out. but I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe somebody that works at a BMW parts dept. can snap and post a pic of these two mounts on the counter and measure their height? I'm debating the IS # is stiffer material. That motor trend article specifically talked about a stiffer/stronger engine mount. How else would MT know that unless BMW told them? There has got to be a way to either swap to this engine mount to reduce the engine rotation down on the passenger side OR shim up the driver side mount 1/8" or so.

Good write up over at N54tech. This one guy swapped his passenger side mount to the is mount b/c it is stiffer. I think doing this is a must for spirited driving.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22841

I am going o swap out to the 335is passenger side mount and do a new one on the driver side for good measure while there. This is about all we can do from I can tell unless we shim the driver side mount up a few mm.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by fl335i; 06-03-2014 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #52
leebermeister
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

The is motor mounts are a direct swap. I installed them on my 06 330.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #53
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
So is there no recall? Only solution is to swap out IS mounts? It's always one thing after another with these cars. After replacing an x amount of things on my car, I started doing more research and the problems are just endless.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #54
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^yup. Go buy a '03 E39. OMG. I did that for 1yr and dumped it. The monthly parts bill was more than a monthly payment on a new BMW or normal car. I think all bmw's are basically 100k mile consumable products. It's hard to keep up with all the items on these cars. honestly, they are bad daily drivers IMO if you like to keep a nice car. I want my E90 back in the garage for play and a normal daily driver; F150, Camry etc. Those are the types of vehicles you can put 250k on them w/out having to replace every suspension bushing every 100k, and have endless problems like this belt, HPFP's etc...

I have a sneaky suspicion some of the reason this belt contact is happening is wore out motor mounts and/or trans mount. Probably a 50k item.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by fl335i; 06-04-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #55
AZ335ivert
He who turns no wrenches and pays the price
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E93 FBO

mine is currently in the shop getting all this work done. 3k and my aftermarket warranty is covering the pulley and motor mount. I get to pay for subframe and belt, as well as right motor mount since I may as well replace both.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #56
darkw1sh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 ///M3
Location: Los Angeles/Woodland Hills/Thousand Oaks/ ***Santa Cruz***

Sorry for being out of this loop for so long, just to clarify the work BMW did for me did end up fixing the problem! Also my belt ripped on a perfectly flat surface shifting from 2nd to 3rd :-(!

First things First all the work was completed by a dealer. On top of the fix after a lot of research i had them replace BOTH of the hydrobearings (31 12 6 763 719) and the left motor mount ( 22 1 16 760 317). Did not experience problems after, but the 335is mounts may be a better direction, but check those hydrobearings because those tend to go.

FYI our serpentine belt its lifetime is stated as longer than the life of the car, i was not sure what that mean so i called continental and they said the belt will stay in great condition for longer than the life of the car, i don't know what bmw or continental was basing that off of.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #57
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
Nobody knows if the IS motor mount is different. Im checking REAL OEM right now.

Comparing a July 2007 E90 335i USA, mine. Vs. a 2011 E92 335is N54T engine code.

-The Left and Right engine mount brackets are the same part #.
-The Left side engine mount is the same part #.
-The Right side engine mount is DIFFERENT. My car calls for a 22116773744. The '11 335is calls for a 22116793240. That is the only item that could theoretically be changed out. but I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe somebody that works at a BMW parts dept. can snap and post a pic of these two mounts on the counter and measure their height? I'm debating the IS # is stiffer material. That motor trend article specifically talked about a stiffer/stronger engine mount. How else would MT know that unless BMW told them? There has got to be a way to either swap to this engine mount to reduce the engine rotation down on the passenger side OR shim up the driver side mount 1/8" or so.

Good write up over at N54tech. This one guy swapped his passenger side mount to the is mount b/c it is stiffer. I think doing this is a must for spirited driving.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22841

I am going o swap out to the 335is passenger side mount and do a new one on the driver side for good measure while there. This is about all we can do from I can tell unless we shim the driver side mount up a few mm.
I've heard the motor mounts were redesigned, so even tho the part number is the same as it was back in 2007, they don't sell the old style mount anymore. The new ones are apparently taller, and won't drop as far if they fail from what I can find.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #58
Mgibson13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe 6 SPD

power steering pulley, serpentine belt, subframe

Good Morning everyone, I own a 07 335i coupe 6 Speed MNL. I have gone through 3 belts already in the past couple months. I was checking to see if anyone has had any luck with BMW for reimbursement. OR I was thinking about replacing the power steering pulley, belt, and then shaving off a little bit of the Engine Cradle. Please let me know if anyone hs tried this.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #59
darkw1sh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 ///M3
Location: Los Angeles/Woodland Hills/Thousand Oaks/ ***Santa Cruz***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgibson13 View Post
Good Morning everyone, I own a 07 335i coupe 6 Speed MNL. I have gone through 3 belts already in the past couple months. I was checking to see if anyone has had any luck with BMW for reimbursement. OR I was thinking about replacing the power steering pulley, belt, and then shaving off a little bit of the Engine Cradle. Please let me know if anyone hs tried this.
a lot of people have done this, but replacing the mounts is your best bet. Talk to your service rep(if your cool with them), and ask them to submit a claim to BMW, after it gets denied that is when you start to complain. Also when talking to the rep check to see what the stealership is willing to do if they say nothing let them know that this has happened to many people and that it is very dangerous and the sub-frame needs to be repaired. etc etc. if nothing works, try contacting a lawyer. I was going to do that but me and the dealership worked out a deal so :-(. If you do proceed the legal way feel free to hit me up I have a lot of info on this case.

-D
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #60
Mgibson13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe 6 SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkw1sh View Post
a lot of people have done this, but replacing the mounts is your best bet. Talk to your service rep(if your cool with them), and ask them to submit a claim to BMW, after it gets denied that is when you start to complain. Also when talking to the rep check to see what the stealership is willing to do if they say nothing let them know that this has happened to many people and that it is very dangerous and the sub-frame needs to be repaired. etc etc. if nothing works, try contacting a lawyer. I was going to do that but me and the dealership worked out a deal so :-(. If you do proceed the legal way feel free to hit me up I have a lot of info on this case.

-D
Hey! thanks for the advice, the dealership and i dont have the best rapport lol.. have you heard of any problems with shaving part of the cradle? Im thinking about 8th of an inch at most.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #61
CoolGuyNilo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Few bolt ons

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
just reposting my post on this thread as it seems you guys might be able to give me the right advice..

Hello guys, Im a student over at the university of Florida and a few days ago I had a really scary experience driving my e93 335i. As I was tuning into the road which I live in (off of a main road speed limit 40) I lost power steering and hit a guy on a bicycle. I immediately stopped the car turn my emergency lights on and assisted the poor guy. luckily he wasn't injured too badly, i asked him if he wanted me to call an ambulance or the police to make a report but he said that he was ok and just glad i had stopped to help. I asked for his number and sent him a text in case he later on wanted to contact me about anything. I called him later on that night and he said that his leg was hurting a little but that he was fine. anyways I did some extensive research on the situation and came to the conclusion that my belt hit the subframe and shattered my belt (possibly taking my crank seal) because of the amount of oil all over the place. I realized that quite a few people have had this issue and it shocks me that bmw hasn't made a recall for this as losing power steering in the middle of a turn can be deadly. To make things better im out of warranty and get no help from my parents financially so ill have to repair this myself because as a college student i cant afford to pay a mechanic. Ive became quite confident working on this car doing basic things myself like changing ofh gasket, water pump/thermostat. I really need someone to give me some advice on how to approach this repair as i couldnt find a straight forward diy for this issue including the oil leak repair. maybe also some legal advice if theres any chance i could contact bmw and have them make this a recall.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #62
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^I'm confused as to how the belt breaking and you losing p/s made you hid a biker.... But yes, I agree BMW should recall this issue but they won't.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #63
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGuyNilo View Post
just reposting my post on this thread as it seems you guys might be able to give me the right advice..

Hello guys, Im a student over at the university of Florida and a few days ago I had a really scary experience driving my e93 335i. As I was tuning into the road which I live in (off of a main road speed limit 40) I lost power steering and hit a guy on a bicycle. I immediately stopped the car turn my emergency lights on and assisted the poor guy. luckily he wasn't injured too badly, i asked him if he wanted me to call an ambulance or the police to make a report but he said that he was ok and just glad i had stopped to help. I asked for his number and sent him a text in case he later on wanted to contact me about anything. I called him later on that night and he said that his leg was hurting a little but that he was fine. anyways I did some extensive research on the situation and came to the conclusion that my belt hit the subframe and shattered my belt (possibly taking my crank seal) because of the amount of oil all over the place. I realized that quite a few people have had this issue and it shocks me that bmw hasn't made a recall for this as losing power steering in the middle of a turn can be deadly. To make things better im out of warranty and get no help from my parents financially so ill have to repair this myself because as a college student i cant afford to pay a mechanic. Ive became quite confident working on this car doing basic things myself like changing ofh gasket, water pump/thermostat. I really need someone to give me some advice on how to approach this repair as i couldnt find a straight forward diy for this issue including the oil leak repair. maybe also some legal advice if theres any chance i could contact bmw and have them make this a recall.
Thank you
omg that's unreal!11!

What are the chances that he'll let you borrow his bicycle since your car will be down for a while?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #64
CoolGuyNilo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Few bolt ons

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
^I'm confused as to how the belt breaking and you losing p/s made you hid a biker.... But yes, I agree BMW should recall this issue but they won't.
ill get into detail: i was heading north on 13th st about to make a right on 11th ave, the guy had stopped his bike on the right side of the street heading down 13th (in the way of someone* trying to make a right from 11th onto 13th), I had my turning signals on so he stopped so i could make my turn in my lane, as i was making the right i was surprised with a hard ass steering wheel nd since i was not prepared for that i took a wider turn that i would normally take (with power steering) hitting the poor guy :/ i slammed my brakes but it still wasnt enough, glad to know the guy was fine. I invited him for some coffe this coming wednesday in which he will do me the favor of giving me a written report of the incident, in case i need it later on.

*there wasnt anyone there it was just to help picture the situation
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #65
shiny90
Rep
Drives: Alpine white e90 335i 6MT

I just bought my 335i with 88k miles. Should I just replace the motor mounts asap?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #66
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^yes. Go with the "iS" mount on the passenger side IIRC. Or vise versa. That's the next thing I do to my car!! I don't drive it daily. Motor mounts, walnut blasting, catless DP's & ER charge pipe in the coming months.
Appreciate 0