E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > what warranty I am voiding?

06-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
SG07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

what warranty I am voiding?

My E90 is about 2 years old and still under warranty. I am thinking about lowering my car with H&R Sport Spring (on a budget). What parts am I voiding my warranty on? Is it worth it or will it haunt me down the road? I do plan to keep the car for a while if possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I'm guessing you'll be giving up your entire suspension warranty even though you're replacing just the springs. If your shocks wear out prematurely surely they will blame it on the springs. They probably won't fix any rattles and vibration noises under warranty either - not a huge deal, but it could be a bit of a pain. Voiding anything more than that would probably be pushing it (i.e. the dealer pushing it) but it all depends on your dealer. The other way to look at it is that you'll probably never claim any warranty work on your suspension anyhow because it's highly unlikely it'll give you a problem within the first 4 years anyhow. That said, I've heard people say that just replacing the springs could cause your shocks to wear prematurely because they're not spec'd to work together.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

if your replacing your springs replace your shocks at the same time. the stock shocks will wear very quickly and then your gonna have to buy new ones anyway so y not do both at the same time
      06-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I'm guessing you'll be giving up your entire suspension warranty even though you're replacing just the springs. If your shocks wear out prematurely surely they will blame it on the springs. They probably won't fix any rattles and vibration noises under warranty either - not a huge deal, but it could be a bit of a pain. Voiding anything more than that would probably be pushing it (i.e. the dealer pushing it) but it all depends on your dealer. The other way to look at it is that you'll probably never claim any warranty work on your suspension anyhow because it's highly unlikely it'll give you a problem within the first 4 years anyhow. That said, I've heard people say that just replacing the springs could cause your shocks to wear prematurely because they're not spec'd to work together.
+1. i asked my SA about what will happen to my warranty when i get my coils installed. I was mostly concerned with engine/drivetrain issues. He said that if i come in and something needs to be done (HPFP, turbos, whatever), that the coils wont do anything.
But then he said that if a need to get a control arm replaced or something, they wont cover it.
Then i said, "but if im getting the control arm replaced, chances are i hit a pothole or something like that and it wont be covered anyway, right?"
He responded "exactly."

with that said, dont just replace the springs. change out the shocks too. it'll save yourself the aggravation of having to get under there again.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0