E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What is this? From underside above plastic tray

12-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
left123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 330i 6MT ZSP

What is this? From underside above plastic tray

I changed my front lower control arms and when I took off the plastic undertray this rubber piece fell out. It looks like a six shooter body:

Let me know your thoughts.
      12-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

It is the rubber isolator that sits under the airbox (airfilter housing). Has anyone removed the airbox at some point? What happens is the isolator gets stuck to the air box and gets pulled off the stud it sits on on the framerail. It then falls out of its locator cup (it looks like a hip socket) on the underside of the airbox. If you don't know it's supposed to be there you'll not notice it missing.

Take the airbox out, use a flashlight and look on the framerail below the location of the airbox and you'll see a (threaded) stud on the framerail. The hole on the flat side of the isolator is for locating the isolator on the frame, then the airbox sits on top of the isolator. So to reinstall it, just pull the airbox out, relocate the isolator and reinstall the airbox.

It's circled item No. 9 in this picture, which indicates its locaton on the airbox.
Attached Images

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-07-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
left123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 330i 6MT ZSP

Awesome. Thanks for the thorough response.

I have never taken the airbox out but the previous owner might have. The car is completely stock so I would suspect it wasnt but perhaps for some maintenance item it was.