E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Problem with Jerky Stops - 2007 335i

05-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #23
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyRedCar View Post
I only get this when the car is in DS mode.
Sounds like you're having problems with the kickdown from 2nd to 1st. DS makes the tranny go down to 1st. D usually starts in 2nd.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #24
johnny_boy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
I don't mean this in a bad way at all: is this your first BMW?

The only reason I ask is I've noticed many people had issues with the brakes being 'touchy' when going less than 5 MPH.
Not trying to diminish your issue, just trying to understand the perspective.

No offense taken at all. Thanks for chiming in.

This is my first BMW, and I know BMW has great brakes. But I have a couple other 2 seater sports cars with great brakes that I also drive and whenever I get back on my BMW I do have to adjust my brake pressure. I would actually say that the BMW brakes are over boosted initially, rather than linear.

But anyway back to the problem.

Both times I took the technician out with me to show what I was talking about and they felt it too, and said they will look at it. So it is not because I am not used to BMW brakes. They thought it was down shifting hard at first, but I do not think it is transmission related any more since when I manually downshift it still does it and it looks like another gentleman has the same issue with the 6MT.

Plus both time they did something with the computer and reset something, then the cars comes to a smooth stop, but then the problem appears again within a day. This must be a software problem.

Last edited by johnny_boy; 05-08-2010 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy View Post
That is exactly what I get as well. How often does this happen? Mine is almost every stop. Have you approached the dealer about it?
No, but I am writing down a list of things for them to fix, look at next time I drop off the car...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
nonford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2019 X3

I had the same problem. Always felt like I lunged just before a complete stop. Another problem I had was when the engine was cold and when I went to accelerate, the peddle was very touchy. That is, when I would go from a stop, the car would really snap forward. I took it in and they disabled the stop assist, but it still did it. Two weeks later, I had a new transmission. Issue was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #27
johnny_boy
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK, my car is finally fixed, after taking it for the third time. PUMA case was reopened and they did the fix. The car no longer bumps right before the stops.

According to the Invoice, this is what they did:
1. Replacement of Mechatronic Valve Body
2. Replace Trans Fluid
3. Replace Trany Pan
4. Coded and programmed new Mechatronics
      06-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
OK, my car is finally fixed, after taking it for the third time. PUMA case was reopened and they did the fix. The car no longer bumps right before the stops.

2. Replace Trans Fluid
3. Replace Trany Pan
Wow, that's quite a bit of replacing. I would have never thought it to be that deep. I guess I can kind of see how transmission components could have been a factor. At least its fixed, now!

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #29
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
I am having an issue with jerky stops in my 2007 335i. Almost every stops I come to, right before the car stops, the car jerks forward like someone tapped my rear bumper. At first, I thought this was only when the engine was cold, as I only drive very short distance back and forth to work (less than 5 miles), but it still does it even when the engine is fully warmed up. When cold, it is every stop. When warm, maybe 70% of the time.

Anyone else still having these issues? Search seems to bring back posts from 2007/2008, but not much more recent ones, so maybe the recent models do not have this issue? I am the second owner, so I am not sure if this was there before, but I have noticed this for past few months.

I am assuming this is the soft stop feature. Anyway to disable this? This shows up on both D and DS mode. I think it even does it when I manually downshift coming to a stop.

I took it to the dealership twice and:
- the first time, they checked the transmission fluid (OK), and then reset the computer. It was good for a day, but then the jerk came back
- the second time, reprogrammed the computer to the latest, and they raised the issue with BMW, and they denied PUMA case saying this is within the working parameters of the operations of the car

I am not sure how this could be “normal”? If I reset the transmission learning thing (foot off the brake, push “start”, hold down the gas pedal for 60 seconds), then it will not do this for a short while, but then it will come right back within a day.

I can deal with this if it happens every once in a while, but almost every stop is a bit ridicules.
Johnny Boy, I'm afraid your problem may come back. I have had the exact same problem that you have described for the last two years, The problem is not transmission fluid.

It's the Neutral Idle Control. The first step in SIB, is to update the software to smooth out the bump feeling, second step if that doesn't work is to deactivate the NIC feature completely. They just did that to mine last week. The Car is running silk smooth now.
      07-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #30
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
so wait this is just automatic? i feel like my car does this as well
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #31
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
Johnny Boy, I'm afraid your problem may come back. I have had the exact same problem that you have described for the last two years, The problem is not transmission fluid.

It's the Neutral Idle Control. The first step in SIB, is to update the software to smooth out the bump feeling, second step if that doesn't work is to deactivate the NIC feature completely. They just did that to mine last week. The Car is running silk smooth now.
Do you know where I can show them this SIB? I told my dealer the exact same problem and he just looked at me funny and said he's never heard it before.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #32
johnny_boy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

2. Replace Trans Fluid
3. Replace Trany Pan
The car still is running fine now without the jerk, since the above fix. However, I do not put a lot of miles on the car (it is my secondary car), so it might be too early to tell.

BTW, it still does have that slight transition where I think the rear brake calipers let go right before the complete stop (I am assuming that is what I feel. It could be the down shifting of the gears?). However, that does not feel like a jerk and it is mostly smooth transition. I think that one is normal?
      04-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #33
zigsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92; 2006 330i E90

Got mine fixed

I replaced the transmission mechatronics sleeve, seal adapter, changed the fluid and reset the adaptive values all at the same time a few weeks ago. Since then, I have only put a couple hundred miles on my car, but it seems to have fixed the problem. Before I did this, the hard shift issue would re-surface after approximately 20-50 miles. So far, so good. Price wise, it was only a couple of hundred dollars, and the VAST majority of that was in the new transmission pan/filter and oil. The mechatronics sleeve and seal adapter were less than $20 combined, so if you re-use your oil and pan, you can fix this yourself for about $20.

Quote:
The car still is running fine now without the jerk, since the above fix. However, I do not put a lot of miles on the car (it is my secondary car), so it might be too early to tell.

BTW, it still does have that slight transition where I think the rear brake calipers let go right before the complete stop (I am assuming that is what I feel. It could be the down shifting of the gears?). However, that does not feel like a jerk and it is mostly smooth transition. I think that one is normal?
Appreciate 0