E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > e90 330i A/C Thermal Expanison Valve

07-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
WayneDoodle
Take Care!
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

e90 330i A/C Thermal Expanison Valve

I have been having problems with my A/C for a few years. The system would cool intermittently. The driver side blew cool air out the vents, but the passenger was warm. I tried to charge it with a can and the pressure was below 25 psi. I put 1/4 can in to get it back to 34 psi.

Monday, the system finally failed completely and dumped all the refrigerant into the car's cabin and blew nothing but hot air. My car just rolled over 130k miles and the A/C has been on for all those miles

I took to a mechanic (found on the board) and they did a good job. The good news was it was not the compressor. The bad news, it is the Thermal Expansion Valve.

Its sad that this part costs less than a compressor, but the whole dash has to come off to get to it. Labor is eating me alive ($1100)! They said it would be a 14 hour job. Nonetheless, all garages gave me the same estimate.

Other than a waterpump, and a window regulator, the car has not given me any problems. I'll post more when I get the car back.