E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Loud engine on cold start 320d

03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Loud engine on cold start 320d

Hi guys,

Wondering if you can shed some light on this. Basically my 320d has become very loud in the mornings (to the point where the engine sounds rough). There is vibration that comes into the cabin and it causes the dashboard to rattle.

I have been told to check the top plastic engine cover (as it does a similar thing if not seated correctly) however all is good on that front. Infact I drove the car with the engine cover on and off to find no difference.

It seems to be from the top of the engine but nothing seems loose. The car did have a oil change recently and a new fan belt (due to the old one being slightly cracked) and has only done 17k miles.

After a short while of driving the car, the engine sounds normal and nothing appears to be wrong. Its just the initial drive. I know the weather is cold, but in previous years its never been this loud, so I don't know why it should be now.

Anyone have any ideas on what it can be?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Have a look at this if you haven't already

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=18

Mine has 40k and is bit noisy when cold but not noticably. I do think I've a failing bearing on something at the front of the engine as it 'wish, wish, wishes' when warm too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler View Post
Have a look at this if you haven't already

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=18

Mine has 40k and is bit noisy when cold but not noticably. I do think I've a failing bearing on something at the front of the engine as it 'wish, wish, wishes' when warm too.

Thanks for that - yes I saw that post. No error codes and it starts straightaway without any delay. I had the fan belt replaced so its not coming from that.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
jkas1984
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 320d m sport

Check your vibration damper. When it goes faulty it will vibrate the car, I bought a meyle replacement and the car still did it,

So I sent it back to the supplier and put a bmw pulley on, car is quiet again,

Meyle quality is very poor.
Appreciate 0