E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Any ex-BBS users here?

02-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #23
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokerRat View Post
You guys are all a bunch of newbies (except Neurorad)!

I used a 1200-baud modem from my dad's work when anyone else I knew ran at 300... that was a hot piece. Most boards were 300, a handful of 1200 and the odd well-financed business-oriented board would do 2400...except nobody actually had a 2400 baud modem.

Ran my own board for a few years in the late 80's, got into the Fidonet thing for a few years, screwed around with front-end mailers, echomail and netmail.... and then watched them become slowly replaced by newsgroups and forums.

Ain't progress grand?
You're late in the game dude. Didn't you read my post?!
To me, it all started in the late 70's with a commodore PET. That's the computer I wanted, but I ended up with a trs80 model I. I was running three 80 track double sided floppy drive (overtracking them) to store all the data on my board. I had a fourth drive but that was a boot drive (40 track shuggart single sided). That was a hot setup then.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #24
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

guilty.

I miss those days in some ways. It was like you were part of a cool (well maybe not that cool to other people) underground community. I remember downloading the ACiD and ICE ascii art packs advertising BBS's etc... Some of the artwork was incredibly creative considering their limitations.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #25
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Anyone here remember the days of Bulletin Board Systems aka BBS. I remember the days when I had to dial and redial on a modem just to connect online. Believe or not, I used to spend 6-10 or more hours just to connect to the Internet - this was in 1993.

The Internet back then was for the ELITE, it was expensive and they charged you by the hour. One hour would cost like 5-10 dollars. Then, there was a monthly fee too like 20-30 dollars. Luckily, there were tons of free online services and I truly enjoyed them.

Back then, there was NO SPAM, all the users were intelligent, a lack a women though, I remember BBS services where there were over 1000 users and there were only like 3 users that are woman. Those were the memorable days, I thought I was so special.

BTW, I was one of the first people in the world to use online chat back in 1988. I have a friend who invented text base chatting, it was called GTalk, short for Ginsu Talk and it was noted as the world's first multichannel online chat systems.

Hello,

Yes I ran two BBS in the 80's (Pirat's Guild Main & Sigma Systems). I gave up after fidonet broke down and was hard keeping a subscription base for the new and upcomming internet connectivity.

We were bigger than Prodigy for a while. he he

btw, the Commodore PET rocked! So did the VIC 20.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #26
unagi1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 WRX, 2014 C63 507, 91 Mr2

late 80's here, running 1200 baud and designing some of that primitive ASCII art for "sites"

Then the 90's rolled around and we started using IRC bots at the university to distro files to all the leechers...those days were definitely interesting
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #27
mattchristenson
Registered
Rep
Drives: Who needs a car?

BBS days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Anyone here remember the days of Bulletin Board Systems aka BBS. I remember the days when I had to dial and redial on a modem just to connect online. Believe or not, I used to spend 6-10 or more hours just to connect to the Internet - this was in 1993.

The Internet back then was for the ELITE, it was expensive and they charged you by the hour. One hour would cost like 5-10 dollars. Then, there was a monthly fee too like 20-30 dollars. Luckily, there were tons of free online services and I truly enjoyed them.

Back then, there was NO SPAM, all the users were intelligent, a lack a women though, I remember BBS services where there were over 1000 users and there were only like 3 users that are woman. Those were the memorable days, I thought I was so special.

BTW, I was one of the first people in the world to use online chat back in 1988. I have a friend who invented text base chatting, it was called GTalk, short for Ginsu Talk and it was noted as the world's first multichannel online chat systems.
Gtalk was written by Dan marks and Dave Jeske - it was a DDial clone, NOT the first multiline system (although it may have been the first one written for IBM's OS2). I was a regular caller of both The Lunatic Phringe, and The Nuclear Greenhouse (two of the original Gtalk systems).

ATDT2320565
BUSY
ATDT2320565
BUSY
ATDT2320565
CONNECT 2400 BAUD

I wasn't into the chat as much as the message boards on the Hacker/Phreaker/Anarchy/Virus/Crack boards... It was amaizing what happened when you put a bunch of intelligent minds together to collaborate in a trusted online environment... That environment will never exist again.

I will mention, that the WWW has finally gotten to the point that those boards got to in the early 90s (messages, files, email, games, chat, etc.)...

Check out www.CasualCollective.com ; It's the first online community that i've seen that really comes close to what BBS's centered around door games used to be.. you remember Baren Realms Elite (BRE), Tradewars 2002, Falcon's Eye (FE), and Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD)?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #28
mattchristenson
Registered
Rep
Drives: Who needs a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchristenson View Post
Gtalk was written by Dan marks and Dave Jeske - it was a DDial clone, NOT the first multiline system (although it may have been the first one written for IBM's OS2). I was a regular caller of both The Lunatic Phringe, and The Nuclear Greenhouse (two of the original Gtalk systems).

ATDT2320565
BUSY
ATDT2320565
BUSY
ATDT2320565
CONNECT 2400 BAUD

I wasn't into the chat as much as the message boards on the Hacker/Phreaker/Anarchy/Virus/Crack boards... It was amaizing what happened when you put a bunch of intelligent minds together to collaborate in a trusted online environment... That environment will never exist again.

I will mention, that the WWW has finally gotten to the point that those boards got to in the early 90s (messages, files, email, games, chat, etc.)...

Check out www.CasualCollective.com ; It's the first online community that i've seen that really comes close to what BBS's centered around door games used to be.. you remember Baren Realms Elite (BRE), Tradewars 2002, Falcon's Eye (FE), and Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD)?
P.S.

If you want a blast to the past, telnet to www.phringe.org and you'll be connected to a GTALK system that is still active durring certain hours of the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #29
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

GLOBAL WAR!!!!!!
Appreciate 0