E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Winter Thread > What brush to use to clear snow from car w/o scratching paint?

10-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
OSK77
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Winter Thread > What brush to use to clear snow from car w/o scratching paint?

After getting Picus to detail my ride this summer, and Wes_R waiting in the wings to detail my ride in the winter, I'm interested to know what forum members use to clear off snow from their car in the winters? The key thing I'm interested in is a product that won't scratch the paint or a particular technique employed perhaps? Please post pic + link to product if possible, thx!

Example Scenario: You are parked at the GO Station and by the time you get back in the evening, your car is covered top to bottom in snow.

I don't want to use regular off the shelf snow brushes, they will wreck the paint finish as I have witnessed first hand with my other rides over the years.

Look forward to your tips.

My own 2 reminder winter tips:

Tip # 1 Don't fold the power mirrors available with the ZPP due to icing - can wreak your folding motor

Tip # 2 Don't forget to raise your wiper blades or instead use something like Snow Guard

07' E90 335i | COBB STAGE 2+ TUNED | COBB DOWNPIPES | COBB FMIC | COBB CHARGE PIPE | BMS DCI | ACCESSPORT V3 | RB PCV VALVE UPGRADE | MONACO BLUE | DAKOTA BLACK | ZSP | ZPP | NAV | MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORTS ON BEYERN MESH
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Just wipe the snow off your headlights, and windows

Don't touch your paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 430i xDrive, AW E90 LCI M-S

I've read that some people wrap their brushes with microfibre towels and don't brush all the snow off but leave a thin layer and avoid touching the paint as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
I was at CT few days ago and was checking their snow brush cause I wanted something that wont scratch the car but thats kinda impossible to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor T View Post
I've read that some people wrap their brushes with microfibre towels and don't brush all the snow off but leave a thin layer and avoid touching the paint as much as possible.
Thats interesting...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
okevino
MR x.
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335is DCT

Garage List
snow's a bytch.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
just brush off the top layer...leave the last bit on your car..no biggie
      10-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

I use a hair dryer on low heat from 2 feet away to avoid paint damage. It takes me 10 mintues for each cm of snow that has accumulated but it prevents any possible scratches due to using a brush.
      10-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
Exactly. If you just leave it (Rox) then you are asking for a $100 ticket .
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
I use a hair dryer on low heat from 2 feet away to avoid paint damage. It takes me 10 mintues for each cm of snow that has accumulated but it prevents any possible scratches due to using a brush.
What?? Serious??

Just brush away the snow with any soft bristle brush. If you properly wax your car prior to the snow falling you are fine. At worst get it deatiled in the spring.

The things I read on this forum simply amaze me, it's a freakin' mass production car not a rare gem. Treat it as such.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
What?? Serious??

Just brush away the snow with any soft bristle brush. If you properly wax your car prior to the snow falling you are fine. At worst get it deatiled in the spring.

The things I read on this forum simply amaze me, it's a freakin' mass production car not a rare gem. Treat it as such.
And I am constantly amazed by people that can't figure out an obvious joke...
      10-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
And I am constantly amazed by people that can't figure out an obvious joke...
LOL I guess I was expecting an emoticon or something to indicate a joke.
But seriously the stuff you read on here is pretty hilarious, makes it seem like they have never owned a car before or lack common sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
OSK77
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
The things I read on this forum simply amaze me, it's a freakin' mass production car not a rare gem. Treat it as such. ...the stuff you read on here is pretty hilarious, makes it seem like they have never owned a car before or lack common sense.
Not sure what your are trying to imply here? Why make general statements that are derogatory in nature to fellow members? This forum was made to ask questions about our cars (that one can safely assume) we all take great pride in maintaining and taking care of. You are entitled to your opinion and are more than welcome to treat your car like a mass production car, just dont tell other members how to treat their car.

If you have something of value to add, by all means share. Keep the negative comments out, please and thanks.

07' E90 335i | COBB STAGE 2+ TUNED | COBB DOWNPIPES | COBB FMIC | COBB CHARGE PIPE | BMS DCI | ACCESSPORT V3 | RB PCV VALVE UPGRADE | MONACO BLUE | DAKOTA BLACK | ZSP | ZPP | NAV | MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORTS ON BEYERN MESH
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

If you want to get technical, brushing snow off with a soft bristle brush, or microfiber towel, or even those expensive silicon squeegies will leave scratches. It's not the instrument used to remove the snow but the snow crystals itself. Before the winter I would do a full detail and an extra layer of wax. I usually just clear snow and ice off the windshields and headlights and that's about it. I find the snow on the hood will melt on its own due to the heat from the engine and the snow from the roof tends to blow onto the rear windshield (which is then melted using the rear defogger).

2kaccordocoupe, taking care of your paint job through small adjustments is much easier (and better for your paint) than to detail every year. The deeper and more numerous the scratches, the more clear coat the detailer has to polish down in order to restore the finish. Meaning your clear coat gets thinner every year. I do a full detail twice a year but I rarely have to use the power polish (and if I do I'm usually using a final polish compound as opposed to a medium cut compound) so my clear coat has almost remained the same thickness since coming out of the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
t7n7
CYNOSURE
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla ModelS - waiting...

i only remove the snow from the headlights, taillights and windows.. using something similar to a rubber squeegee. as I drive, the rest of the snow comes off....

also, not sure if our windshield fluids are heated but used an aftermarket kit on one of my previous cars and worked like a charm for deicing!

can't wait til winter....
09' X650i loaded hud/comfort/sports/premium/audio/coldweather/power - the beast / 03' G35c electrochromic tints - www.youtube.com/wisht7n7 - the baby / 02' TL internet/satTV/massage seats - the entertainer / 10' TSX - currently modding - Go kart / TESLA MODEL S - Signature Edition #73 2012
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I completely agree with you Andy and the fact that you need to take cetain precautions to preserve the look of your vehicle. I am also guilty of doing so by parking my car at the end of parking lots to avoid dings, full front clear bra and parking in a garage to keep it safe at night.

I guess it all depends on what each person deems necessary to care for his/her vehicle. I look at it this way... Unless you drive the car in a bubble it's going to get environmental scratches from rocks, flying ice, bugs, sand, salt etc... I'm sure even dust blowing off the car at 100km/h will create some friction.

Brush it off, drive and enjoy. I do my part by applying extra wax in the fall then cleaning it up in the spring. I use a soft bristle brush and don't even think twice about my paint when it's minus 30 out. I just want to get warm and get to where I have to be safely.

IMHO the folks who don't clean the snow off the cars are putting the rest of us drivers at risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #16
lexi250
Rep
Drives: 2000 323Ci

This is what I use, the 'brush' tool is made from some sort of hard foam or something. It won't scratch the paint.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...ke-276246.aspx

Available at CT.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
.... I usually just clear snow and ice off the windshields and headlights and that's about it. I find the snow on the hood will melt on its own due to the heat from the engine and the snow from the roof tends to blow onto the rear windshield (which is then melted using the rear defogger).

Not saying you but I just hate people that don't clear off the snow (especially ice!) on the top and starts driving off. It just blows the snow (especially frozen chunks) onto the cars that are behind you. Pretty dangerous I think
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

I use this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

The ends of the bristles have been soften; it works good
      10-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 74 tii, 93 M5 x2, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
Or use IceWax, it forms a hard armour layer when the temperature is below 1C.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
jasonintoronto
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe (sold)

man, i just use a snow brush. it's not a big deal.

and guys, please brush the entire car. snow flying off your car hits the car behind you and causes visibility problems. not cool.
      10-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #21
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
I use this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

The ends of the bristles have been soften; it works good
I actually was at CT yesterday and checked this out, it is actually softer than the conventional brush. However I still think it will scratch the car but perhaps not as much, also it may wear out eventually.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
Not saying you but I just hate people that don't clear off the snow (especially ice!) on the top and starts driving off. It just blows the snow (especially frozen chunks) onto the cars that are behind you. Pretty dangerous I think
Not me because I always park in a garage or underground.

But I know what you mean, especially coming from Alberta. Mostly pickups or SUV's that do that because most people don't bother to clean the snow off. For me, if the snow is too thick, I'll cut down a layer using the brush but I won't touch the paint still. (or use gloves and pick up the snow off the car instead of brushing it off - easiest for the trunk). I'll end up with a thin layer (<1 cm) and that usually just piles up by the rear window instead of blowing off (and if it does blow off, it's not a lot). When the snow is melted by the rear heat lines, it'll be wet and so all the powered snow sticks to it. Snow pretty much never blows off my car into the car behind because of that reason and my paint is never scratched.

I didn't mean leaving large chunks of snow on your car btw. Because I don't think any rear heat line is efficient enough to remove a foot of snow...and I hate guys who drive around with icebergs on their car roof too and having it fly off and hit your car while on the highway.
Appreciate 0