E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Brake discs - your advice please

11-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Brake discs - your advice please

I'm shortly replacing my front discs (and pads of course). OEM is good enough for my DD driving style. Carparts4less prices vary between £35 and £55. Makes include Bosch, Textar, Pagid and Eicher.

I think most of these brands are OEM suppliers. Anyone know whether they all are?

Thanks.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

the only stuff Ive seen on BMW as OEM is Teeves. Ive seen lots on forums about this sort of thing but I dont believe it. I think I have seen textar in the past but that and ATE is about it. Pagid are weird as their top level stuff is OK and I have used it on the rally car but it appears to be a league different to the Pagid ECP stuff and I dont believe it to be the same company. Cheap Pagid maybe made under licence or something like that. Just a guess but there appears to be some tie up between ECP and Pagid and when that happened the quality dropped.
Teeves stuff is available from France cheaply even though its made in Wales. Mister Auto I think.
Im not a fan of the people who do red and yellow stuff etc, competition cars use ATE, Brembo and CL even F1.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Bosch textar and pagid will do the job

Eicher are cheap
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
qa15ar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

+1 on the poor quality of pagid from ECP
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by qa15ar View Post
+1 on the poor quality of pagid from ECP
YEp PAgid give us so much grief that we've stopped using them for BMW's and Merc's back in 2012 as we were replacing discs and pads under warranty for customers who complained of squealing, noisy and god knows what else. Eventually we just said sod it OEM replace pattern parts with OEM parts and the issues disappeared thuis saving us time/money and our customers the pure inconvience of having to return to replace yet another set of brakes.

Quality wise for everyday motoring Pagid stuff is very hit'n'miss to hit'n'miss for my liking hence they don't get used on BM's and Merc's with me. Bosch stuff is a lot better but BMW and indeed noa Mercedes prices now are a lot more afforadable so much so that they can be just as cheap as Pagid, Textar stuff and just seem to work beeter overal IMO. Look at the 2 pictures below

then you'll see the sort of thing we see on fairly new components(these were Textar discs from a 5 series)