E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > About to go YOLO on my car

06-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

hey man!!

get the knock off clay off e-bay! like 5$ shipped or less

I CANT WAIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
You're welcome

I have all the parts but I'm waiting till I move this summer to a house with a garage before I get to detailing my car.

I can't wait to see your results, since I will basically be using the same equipment.

Where did you get the knockoff clay? I will probably be needing some more and would be great if I can save some money on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
If you're using M205 , the next logical step up is not necessarily M105 - there are plenty of products between these two. Ultimate Compound is such a product. It was derived from M105 and is way more user friendly on a DA - much longer buffing cycle, much less dust, and generally a far easier wipe off.

If you're a novice to DA buffing, even with all the great things that have been said about it (and it really is pretty fantastic stuff), M105 is probably not the best choice. M105 can be kind of finicky on a DA and it's learning curve can be fairly steep when used on that tool. If you've read all the basic intro to DA articles, watched a bunch of YouTube videos of people using a DA, etc and then jump in with M105 you may end up being a bit frustrated.

People have this natural tendency to reach for the biggest hammer they can find because they believe it will get the job done faster. M105 is one of the most aggressive product Meg makes - it is designed primarily for use with a rotary buffer and either a wool pad or very aggressive foam pad to remove sanding marks as heavy as 1000 grit in fresh paint.

I hope this helps....
Okay so it is not as abrasive!! thanks. I hopefully wont have to use the compound, I hope the m205 and cutting pad will work, then m205 and polishing pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
What's up with the insane shipping cost? Are you getting it shipped to Canada?
I order detailing parts all the time and pick if up st my mailbox whenever I'm buying other car parts.
With the amount of shipping you paid you should have just got the stuff at eshine.

Check out auto detailing solutions. They have very good prices and free shipping if you order you reach a certain amount.
Also check out Car Pro US and autoality
eshine didn't half the stuff i wanted (m205 wasnt in stock, neither was m105, or ultimate compound)

and the stuff from the states was cheaper -- couldnt get a dual action polisher for 60$ even with 50$ shipping thats 110$ but I get all the pads for 5$ each.. I WISH i couldve ordered it cheaper but I did it as best I could. I calculated it for a while even hahahah

I hope I do a decent job I mean it is sapphire black and any improvement will be good for me, but I am hoping to do a really good job.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

wow

i polished my car with the HF dual action southsider polisher

It removed lots of the major defects (orange pad, polish)

I was happy with that.

It didn't remove all the swirls, not even close. I don't think I did enough passes? how many is recommended? is one pass up and down, left then right?

I left some holograms too (WOW WHAT A ROOKIE)

I think it was because near the end, i started rushing, and was using more like one edge of the DA polisher, rather than the whole flat surface.

That was my first. I lost my V card

I bet if I do it now, I will be 10x better.

So saturday it is.

Also --- do you guys do your WHOLE car? and how long?

I might do left and front, then right and back? 2 weekends?

after the first polish ---- it looked shinier and nicer, but if you look REAL close you see swirls (DAMN MY OCD)

yolo my brolos
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

It takes me about 40 hours including anything and everything depending if its a 1 or 2 step.
      07-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #26
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
It takes me about 40 hours including anything and everything depending if its a 1 or 2 step.

holy jesus.

Does anyone use a HF dual action?? what speed??

will M205 and a polishing pad be enough to move microscratches??

or will i need m105?

I think the orange pad (the edge of it) caused the holograms

so gay
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerider187 View Post
holy jesus.

Does anyone use a HF dual action?? what speed??

will M205 and a polishing pad be enough to move microscratches??

or will i need m105?

I think the orange pad (the edge of it) caused the holograms

so gay
I've used M205 on a white LC foam polishing pad to remove microscratches without any issues. It'll also remove any holograms or marring left from the M105 and orange pad. Not sure of the speed on the HF, but I used the PC7424 on speed 4 for the final polish with a light-medium pressure.
      07-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
I've used M205 on a white LC foam polishing pad to remove microscratches without any issues. It'll also remove any holograms or marring left from the M105 and orange pad. Not sure of the speed on the HF, but I used the PC7424 on speed 4 for the final polish with a light-medium pressure.

THANK YOU..

guna use the M205 Saturday.. guna do 1/2 the car

how long you think itll take?

Last time I started too late in the day, and rush the last bit of polishing (thats where most holograms were)

this time.. I will go SUPER slow...

how many passes? is a pass up and down,

or is it UP+DOWN , then LEFT + RIGHT --- is that one pass or two

How often do you clean pads?

thank you yolo brolo
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
THANK YOU..

Last time I started too late in the day, and rush the last bit of polishing (thats where most holograms were)

thank you yolo brolo
Speed 6 for correction. Lower speed is ideal for jeweling. Your arm speed should be about 1" per second . Shrink down your working area to no more than 1' x 1' with Moderate Pressure (15-20 lbs) when you are doing heavy correction. Mark the back of your backing plate with a sharpie so that you could monitor the "Spin". You want to make sure the plate spinning. Too much pressure and the plate will stop. Not enough pressure...the plate will spin too fast and it won't do anything.

A single pass is one direction only (left to right , right to left, up and down, down an up). A sectional pass is multiple passes of left to right and right to left (or up and down and down and up) for the section of a predetermined size. You should try to do about 5-6 sectional passes. 6 sectional passes will be 3 up and down + 3 left and right.

I like to clean the pad with a pad brush prior to a new section. I generally switch to a clean pad after the 2nd or the 3rd panel.

Good Luck.
      07-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
THANK YOU..

thank you yolo brolo
One of the main factors on time is how much paint correction is needed. But from my experience with M205 (assuming your using it as a final polish) is 6 total passes: 3 up+down, then 3 left+right. So let's say you're doing a section on the hood. do 1 pass up+down over the entire section, then 1 pass left+right. Almost like doing a cross-hatch pattern. Then repeat 2 more times or as much as needed to correct the swirls. I would clean my pads with a brush after every section.
      07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #31
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Surprisingly the harbor freight DA polisher works very well. I did change the backing pad and I bought some Lake Country pads. I wouldn't use the pads that harbor freight sells as the reviews say they tear pretty easily. I just did a complete wash and wax today and this is what I used:

Meguiars gold class car wash
Harbor Freight DA polisher
Lake country backing pad
Meguiars clay kit with spray detailer
Meguiars 105 ultra cut with Lake Country orange pad
Meguiars 205 polisher with Lake Country green pad
Chemical Guys butter wax with Lake Country black pad

I was going to do sealant before the wax but was told it wasn't necessary with the chemical guys butter wax. Overall came out great. The biggest upside was the clay bar. I haven't clayed it in 5 years and went thru two full pieces of clay

Last edited by Ph0zenstone; 07-05-2013 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #32
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
wow

It didn't remove all the swirls, not even close. I don't think I did enough passes? how many is recommended? is one pass up and down, left then right?
If the orange pad is not doing the job fast enough, maybe you can try using a wool pad to speed things up. Still do 4-6 passes depending on the circumstances of course.
Appreciate 0