E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Dead/Intermittent rear sunshade

08-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

Dead/Intermittent rear sunshade

On my 2006 330i my rear sunshade works intermittently. It's not worked for the last little while now at all (not that I try it often). I can however here a slight "click click" when I push the button (when the car is off so I can hear it) but nothing moves back there. I did a search and found nothing. I can't be the only one, can I?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

You're going to hate reading this... My sunshade did the same thing for nearly one month. When I finally went to the dealer the SA got in the car, pushed the button, and it "magically" went up. I haven't had an issue since.....

He did say that the track is sensitive and a minor bump can jostle it into just the right position to freeze it and that an equally minor bump can get it unstuck. I think it's similar to a folding ladder. If you push just one leg it'll never close, but apply even pressure to both legs and it folds like it's greased with warm butter.

I would tap it right or left a little and try the button again. If that doesn't work, leave the pulling and prying for the SA. My SA said he was ready to replace the whole thing if it didn't begin working. Oh, and they did lube it after they got it up. Don't know about any DIY solutions though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

Thanks. Good to see I'm not alone though. I'll just keep trying and if it goes up I'll see about lubing it. It really doesn't seem to try at all though. I'm out of bumper to bumper warranty.
Appreciate 0