E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Paint Chip Repairs Central New Jersey

05-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Paint Chip Repairs Central New Jersey

Hi Folks,

I posted this in the regional forum but thought that I would also post here.

My crimson red E92 has numerous small (size of a pen point) chips on the hood. The car is otherwise flawless.

I am pretty good with touching up paint seamlessly but I am having trouble with this car. I have tried various methods including Dr. Colorchip but have not been happy with the results.

I have noticed that the BMW dealer where I bought my car always has various used cars that look flawless. I called them and they told me that they have a guy who comes in 1 day a week and specializes on cosmetic smaller paint issues. They quoted me somewhere between $140-$160 and told me to let them know if I want to schedule this job.

I certainly do not want to get estimates from bodyshops because I am fairly certain that they will want to repaint the hood which I will not do for 10 or so small paint chips.

The dealer's price quote sounds reasonable but I would like to have someone else look at it as well.

Would any of you folks know of anyone in the New Jersey area who does this type of work? A mobile person would be good as well.

The used car reconditioning market is huge and there must be other people who do this but I do not know of any.

Your advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
bigaizsosexy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90, 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eogintz
Hi Folks,

My crimson red E92 has numerous small (size of a pen point) chips on the hood. The car is otherwise flawless.

I am pretty good with touching up paint seamlessly but I am having trouble with this car. I have tried various methods including Dr. Colorchip but have not been happy with the results.

I have noticed that the BMW dealer where I bought my car always has various used cars that look flawless. I called them and they told me that they have a guy who comes in 1 day a week and specializes on cosmetic smaller paint issues. They quoted me somewhere between $140-$160 and told me to let them know if I want to schedule this job.

I certainly do not want to get estimates from bodyshops because I am fairly certain that they will want to repaint the hood which I will not do for 10 or so small paint chips.

The dealer's price quote sounds reasonable but I would like to have someone else look at it as well.

Would any of you folks know of anyone in the New Jersey area who does this type of work? A mobile person would be good as well.

The used car reconditioning market is huge and there must be other people who do this but I do not know of any.

Ed
I am actually looking for the same service, and I am in central jersey as well. I'll keep checking back for updates. I have a guy that does paint less dent removal, and a guy who does interior restorations like painting BMW trim and what not, but I can't find a paint chip repair service.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
radarrob
eastcoastinstaller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan white

Quote:
Originally Posted by eogintz View Post
Hi Folks,

Ed
If you go with BMW dealer let us know how you made out.Im looking for someone to take care of my chips to.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Radarrob,

My wife's car is an Infiniti M35X which I have serviced at a Nissan dealer. They own 4 or 5 dealerships and seem to do a really good job. They are much more convenient for me than Infiniti and way cheaper. They also have Saturday and now Sunday hours for basic express type stuff. Right by my house.

I called them yesterday and asked if they have a touch up guy as most dealers do. They said that they do and that he does a great job on their used cars. They gave me his name and number and I called him. He said that he is at this Nissan dealership every Monday from 9-5. I explained the chips to him and he said that he really needs to see it but it sounds like about a $40 job. He told me that some chips he touches up and others he could need to airbrush and blend. He also said that he takes the paint code from car and mixes up some paint right on the spot. He sounded like he knew what he was doing so I just might stop by on Monday and see what he says, or look at some other cars he has done. I will keep you updated.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
robsUDM
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi, F30 328xi

Subscribed as I'm looking to get paint repair work done as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Guys,

So far I plan on checking out the guy who does work at the Nissan dealership on Mondays (I am retired and have a lot of free time.)

And someone else recommended a shop in Moorestown NJ ( they do mobile work as well mostly for dealers in southern NJ and I could meet their guy at one of his dealership stops) named CK Colors. They have been doing this a long time and do a considerable amount of work for dealers. I spoke to the owner who sounded like a really nice and knowledgable guy. Said that they mix the paint on the spot and repairs will NOT look like blobs of touch up paint and that I could wait for car and drive right off (they use a quick dry process for paint.) His estimate of $80 sounded reasonable and was half the price I was quoted by BMW. I believe that their repairs come with a lifetime guarantee. Will probably check them out as well before I make my decision. Will either get it done or forget about it this coming week.

Also, just for laughs I took car to a good local bodyshop. He said can't be repaired and needed to repaint hood, parts of fenders and part of bumper to blend everything. I kind of knew this was what a bodyshop would say. His estimate was $700- $800. I said no thanks and he agreed that it was kind of ridiculous to spend that much for a bunch of small rock chips. Will keep everyone posted.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
mark8623
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Let me know how you make out. I am very interested!
Appreciate 0