E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ski-Pass without folding rear seats

11-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Ski-Pass without folding rear seats

I know you can cut a hole, but I haven't seen any solutions to make the cut-out look halfway decent. I'm especially concerned about the look of the hole from the trunk side, when I sell the car. In my mind it needs to be covered or "dressed" somehow, with a nice trim and preferably a door. The only OEM trim/cassette available is for folding rear seats so it won't fit in this case. Any ideas? I have been searching like crazy, and found nothing.
      11-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69
I know you can cut a hole, but I haven't seen any solutions to make the cut-out look halfway decent. I'm especially concerned about the look of the hole from the trunk side, when I sell the car. In my mind it needs to be covered or "dressed" somehow, with a nice trim and preferably a door. The only OEM trim/cassette available is for folding rear seats so it won't fit in this case. Any ideas? I have been searching like crazy, and found nothing.
If i were you i would buy the 60/40 seats from a junkyard.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

How about IB?
      11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69
If i were you i would buy the 60/40 seats from a junkyard.
I'd like to avoid doing that.
      11-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
How about IB?
Well that's the general idea behind the hole...
      11-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Well that's the general idea behind the hole...
Good luck with the search. Looking forward to see the results.

Last edited by makkan00; 11-24-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Kaigoss, where do you want that hole? In the parcel shelf?

Or thinking of having baffle behind the rear seats?
Behind the seats, that's why I need the hole!
      11-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I've been thinking the same. Can you not just recarpet the hole in the trunk? Or would this still not look OEM?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I've been thinking the same. Can you not just recarpet the hole in the trunk? Or would this still not look OEM?
Clever!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Clever!
Thanks

But yeah it is an obvious solution, but im sure there's a good reason why kaigoss isn't doing this, which is what I want to know.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Clever!
Thanks

But yeah it is an obvious solution, but im sure there's a good reason why kaigoss isn't doing this, which is what I want to know.
I must say Mo that may be a viable option! I'm just not very handy with fabrics and I'm not sure if the seat would need to be removed or not. I also thought about taking a rectangular pieces of MDF, carpeting it and screwing it against the back of the seat covering the hole. That may be a good option as well.
      11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks

Funny that I just found this post, Just bumped into a friend today who is a semi big stereo installer
and has a really nice system in a 1 Series..

I was telling him that I felt I had a lack of bass in my car until I opened my trunk while it was playing
to notice the sub moving nicely and creating alot more bass then I was hearing in the car.

Really found out how sealed my trunk is in the 3 when he demo'd his system for me with and without 1 side of the seat down...

It was like you just added another sub or 2x the power, Needless to say I just got home and began my search for
rear folding seats just for the ski-pass option to let in some of that great sound or look for a way to drill two decent
port holes in the plastic and then re-carpet the oem seat back in the trunk to look OEM.

I saw this - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ski+pass but nobody has posted about trying on a fixed rear setup.

Another post of someone who did it - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ki+pass&page=3

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 11-25-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I must say Mo that may be a viable option! I'm just not very handy with fabrics and I'm not sure if the seat would need to be removed or not. I also thought about taking a rectangular pieces of MDF, carpeting it and screwing it against the back of the seat covering the hole. That may be a good option as well.
Same here i'm really bad when it comes to fabricating! I'm not sure a carpeted square piece of MDF would look OEM. From reading Daryls links it seems that all we would need to do is rip the glued carpet off and glue some new OEM carpet all over the back seat. But like you im not sure how easy this would be, and if the seat would need removing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
I saw this - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ski+pass but nobody has posted about trying on a fixed rear setup.

Another post of someone who did it - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ki+pass&page=3
Great find. Had a read and i think there could be 2 options. Keep the hole and try and trim the edges of the square hole in the boot as best as you can with some plastic trim, sort of an "OEM" ski pass retrofit, as i don't think we can use the OEM trim. Or recarpet the whole back seat. I think for this we'd need the OEM carpet and some glue.

Im hoping to get my IB done in a week or 2, delivery has been delayed a little
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Same here i'm really bad when it comes to fabricating! I'm not sure a carpeted square piece of MDF would look OEM. From reading Daryls links it seems that all we would need to do is rip the glued carpet off and glue some new OEM carpet all over the back seat. But like you im not sure how easy this would be, and if the seat would need removing

Great find. Had a read and i think there could be 2 options. Keep the hole and try and trim the edges of the square hole in the boot as best as you can with some plastic trim, sort of an "OEM" ski pass retrofit, as i don't think we can use the OEM trim. Or recarpet the whole back seat. I think for this we'd need the OEM carpet and some glue.

I think if you removed the seat ripped the carpet off the back ( thats if it came off easily without ruining it )

You could cut the ski pass through with a dremel or something then modify the OEM back panel from a fold down seat car to click in that would
be golden you would just have to trim off the flat piece that wraps around the side of the stock seat since its one piece on our cars and round the edges.

Use new carpet and store your old OEM carpet to re-use down the road.

Inside the car just make hollow out the stock plate leaving a 2 inch ring all the way around and cover in grill clothe like this below.

It would only be visible if you opened the arm rest ( just brainstorming out-loud ), I couldn't believe the difference
in sound with the one side of the seat down in my friends 135 vs up at certain diff frequencies.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 11-27-2012 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20
Quote:

I think if you removed the seat ripped the carpet off the back ( thats if it came off easily without ruining it )

You could cut the ski pass through with a dremel or something then modify the OEM back panel from a fold down seat car to click in that would
be golden you would just have to trim off the flat piece that wraps around the side of the stock seat since its one piece on our cars and round the edges.

Use new carpet and store your old OEM carpet to re-use down the road.

Inside the car just make hollow out the stock plate leaving a 2 inch ring all the way around and cover in grill clothe like this below.

It would only be visible if you opened the arm rest ( just brainstorming out-loud ), I couldn't believe the difference
in sound with the one side of the seat down in my friends 135 vs up at certain diff frequencies.
Considering all that work, you should see how I managed to fit my sub on rear speaker shelf (IB).
When and if I sell the car, OEM speaker shelf will go back and there will be minimum difference.

One thing I should emphasis, whatever you fit, make sure that the top of sub does not move at all. Otherwise you will be inviting rattles.

Few things to consider:
1- since sub fires in the cabin, therefore better sound and clean bass. Immediate gain in db.
2- bass is not going to be solid but a bit boomy since there will be nothing at the back of the sub to give it solid bass feeling.
However if you have that sky hole (mentioned above) and then fit a sub with the box, you will have solid deep bass.

I must also mention that I am very pleased with my IB installation on Sub and got excellent results.

(P.s: ignore type errors as I am on iphone)
      11-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Few things to consider:
1- since sub fires in the cabin, therefore better sound and clean bass. Immediate gain in db.
2- bass is not going to be solid but a bit boomy since there will be nothing at the back of the sub to give it solid bass feeling.
However if you have that sky hole (mentioned above) and then fit a sub with the box, you will have solid deep bass.
En contraire, a properly installed IB set-up will give the most "solid" bass you will ever hear in a car. It is the relatively small enclosure (sealed or ported) that will make it sound less "solid". The keys to a successful IB install are the baffle, and the selection of the right driver.
      11-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

In that case, I will change my driver to get max out of IB.

My IB is still louder and sounds better compared to having a sub in the boot.
      11-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What sub are you using?
      11-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What sub are you using?
Kaigoss
I am running Alpine SWX-1043D (1K sub) with Alpine PDX 1.1000 (1K amp).
I think my primary issue is the amp as Sub is not properly fed by the amp due to differential balanced input incompatibility. I have contacted Alpine and here is their response.

I will sort it out with JL amp and then I will get good results.

Kaigoss I read some where that you are going for a beast sub . I am looking forward to it.
      11-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmmmm a sub on the rear parcel shelf would definately be easier to hide...

But i'm not sure what the differences in performance would be. Yes i know sub bass is non-directional, but something in my brain tells me a sub firing straight through the ski hole to my ears with minimal obstruction would be better than a sub firing upwards, off the rear windscreen (which might give a SPL gain?). Plus is there space on the rear shelf to put a heavy 12" sub in the middle? I'm not sure i haven't looked.
Appreciate 0