E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

06-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #133
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
Its all debatable. But people who are in to watches wouldn't put a rolex up against a patek.
In one of those German watch mags(Armbanduhren or Chronos) they 'compared' a Calatrava to the new Explorer more or less. The Calatrava just got 1 or 2 points (out of 100) more. Maybe it's ridiculous, but you also can compare a 1M to a 997S...(not saying a BMW is a Rolex and a Porker is a Patek)

My old man owned a Calatrava some 25 years ago. Wasn't the best watch he ever owned but the name and fame in total is without a doubt the best. Give me a 5167 or a 5711 and I 'll be a happy man.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #134
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
Thanks. It went to RSC in NY. Here is the breakdown....
Factory Movement Service $555
Case Frame $1,500
Dial $315
Case Back $120
Pair Hands $54
Second Hand $27
TOTAL $2571 not including tax or shipping

To replace the bracelet $975.

I declined because I though it was excessive to replace the case frame. Rolex brags about how they formulate their own alloy and have their own foundries to manufacture the best most corrosion resistant case. I find it hard to believe that the case is in such bad shape that it must be tossed. As far as I have owned it the watch has never even had condensation in the case. Its always kept good time. So how is it possible that there is so much damage to the case yet the watch still runs. Besides I like the way the older cases look and I want to keep the original serial numbers.
It has been my experience with them that it's all or nothing, they said I needed to replace my bracelet when my watch was in for service, I have a two tone Sub since 2001 in 2006 it needed service and the quoted me for a new bracelet...I declined also they keep your old bracelet. 5 years later the bracelet is fine.
A friend of mine uses Daytona Estate jewelers (I think thats the name) and has been very happy with them
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #135
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Why did they say it needed to be replaced after only 5 years? Stretch or severe scratching(they remove scratches in the brushed and shiny SS to perfection) or something else? Never heard an RSC needing replace an Oyster bracelet after so little time.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #136
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post

http://www.swisswatchboutique.com/20...04l-steel.html
Heres a quick link to Rolex and 904. AFAIK all SS Rolexes are now utilizing 904. Last I heard it was 4X the price of 316 stock stainless steel and uses much more expensive machinery to form into cases due to the hardness.
Regardless, 316 is, I should think more than hard enough not to be damaged to cause such issues.

I agree, there is no movement more durable than Rolex movements. Rolex by far, has many more movements COSC tested than any other brand. Most of the Swiss brands mentioned by others here dont even subject their products to rigorous COSC testing. Rolex has, and still does earn its stripes.

I also agree with your last thought.
Sorry to bump this so late but the reason Rolex has more movements COSC tested than other is because they sell more watches than the others. Most Breitlings and Omega's are COSC rated but they don't sell as many watches.

Here's something you should know about COSC testing. Movements sent to COSC are not even in a watch case and any complications are removed. They are later cased at the manufacturer and possibly once again regulated. Nothing against COSC but it's not that big of a deal. There are plenty of companies whose watches run within COSC specs or better and are not certified chronometers.

And you are right that Rolex movements are among the most accurate and reliable but a well adjusted ETA movement can have the same performance in a watch that costs much less.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #137
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thought I'd share some..insight to this thread. Just graduated high school 2 days ago and as a graduation present, my mother got me...a Rolex. It's roughly 20-30 years old, but it doesn't matter. A Rolex, is a Rolex. I suppose, now that I've started out with a Rolex, I can only go up the ladder once I get a job and start making money. I'm a WIS in training haha. Anyways, unfortunately, I'll be out of the country on Monday for a month, but once I get back, the watch is getting its dial replaced and serviced/polished at RSC NYC. Now I'm becoming an enthusiast in both E90post and TRF

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #138
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:

http://www.swisswatchboutique.com/20...04l-steel.html
Heres a quick link to Rolex and 904. AFAIK all SS Rolexes are now utilizing 904. Last I heard it was 4X the price of 316 stock stainless steel and uses much more expensive machinery to form into cases due to the hardness.
Regardless, 316 is, I should think more than hard enough not to be damaged to cause such issues.

I agree, there is no movement more durable than Rolex movements. Rolex by far, has many more movements COSC tested than any other brand. Most of the Swiss brands mentioned by others here dont even subject their products to rigorous COSC testing. Rolex has, and still does earn its stripes.

I also agree with your last thought.
904L is not as hard as 316L. It is somewhat more corrosion resistant however. Unless you're diving in hydrochloric acid though, it won't make any real difference.

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2382

vs

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1022

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale

904L is not worth three times the price for what little, if anything is gained by it's use. That's probably why no other high end watch makers use it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #139
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Why did they say it needed to be replaced after only 5 years? Stretch or severe scratching(they remove scratches in the brushed and shiny SS to perfection) or something else? Never heard an RSC needing replace an Oyster bracelet after so little time.
sorry forgot about this thread,
They claimed it was stretched, to much flex I guess. I never had an issue with it,I was surprised because I sent it in to fix the self winding. The watch had minimal scrathes in the SS and gold, normal everyday wear. It did break a pin last year that holds the bracelet to the case, my jeweler replaced on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #140
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Finally got my hands on this watch (cheap) from JP.

Orient said MSRP on this is $750-780 and its only made exclusively in Russia and Japan (maybe in other countries later)

Cool watch. I like the fact that its not widely available. Guy who got me the watch also had it tweaked for extra $50 bucks, so now its running +/- 1 second per day. (i didnt pay for tweaking)

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 10-02-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #141
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
These are the coolest watches Ive ever seen by far, found them in Elite Traveler Magazine. Just make sure you can afford the oil changes......

http://www.urwerk.com/index.php

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #142
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
These are the coolest watches Ive ever seen by far, found them in Elite Traveler Magazine. Just make sure you can afford the oil changes......

http://www.urwerk.com/index.php
watch is cool, $81,000 is not
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #143
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen11 View Post
At that price range you are looking at chinese made products for the most part. However take a look at Orient, its Japanese and they make their own movements. Plus they have sales regularly which easily brings a lot of their models into your price range. Honestly I wold not get an Invicta but that is just my personal opinion.
Orients are very solid, one of the best 'bang for your buck' type of watches.
I've had my Mako Diver for about 2 years, its an automatic, and I find that it's basically as accurate as my Tag over a period of a week. I use it as my daily beater, just switched out the rubber straps for some other 22mms as I didn't like how the silicone used in Orient straps were a dust magnet.

Theres frequent codes for up to 50% off on the Orient site, definitely check it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #144
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

fyi: there is Orient, Orient Star, and Royal Orient....

watches from USA dealer are 50% off, special order watches are 30% off max I think.
Appreciate 0