E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > nearly wrote the M off Today

Closed Thread

10-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

they had better treat me right as I have bought 7 BMW's from them over the Years, car is being collected at 7am in the morning so I will call Soper about 9am ish to discuss the matter with them .
      10-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #24
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
Wow. Thank God you're OK for starters.

What a f***ing disgrace. Coming from someone who is wanting to buy, what I think is an example of the pinnacle of what BMW offer, in the future.

Interested to see what BMW make of this. Hope it gets sorted ASAP with the minimum amount of fuss. How the f*** does something like this happen to a car that's barely driven?!

Pics resized:

Good luck Mike with getting it sorted. Keep us posted.
Thanks Buddy and thanks for resizing the pics ,I can see them better now and you can clearly see that the arm has collasped.

BTW its the rear passenger side
      10-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
when you look at the other side the arm is high up to the boot floor so it would be hard to be impact damage also as the tech guy said to me impact damage would have bent it upwards or sidesways and this has collapsed downwards, looks like fatigue?
True, this could also down to fatigue only - infact looking again this looks likely. It is also possible that very light impact damage could have weakened the ribbed part without bending it upwards (e.g. just putting a small nick in the metal near the hole could have proved critical), later leading to fatigue related with the downward failure. This could have occured before you took ownership.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #26
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

Quote:
they had better treat me right as I have bought 7 BMW's from them over the Years, car is being collected at 7am in the morning so I will call Soper about 9am ish to discuss the matter with them .
I hope they sort you out, i'm sure they will
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #27
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

well if they say its driver error there will be a riot I can tell you .
      10-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can't see how they can say driver error, clearly component failure from the pictures provided.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Based on what I can see in this thread and the odometer reading!! I think you're safe from this being called driver error.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #30
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

hopefully they will just agree to fix it if not I will seek legal advise for sure .

This has put me off the car now and ruined my day big time .
      10-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Bloody hell mate, glad your ok.

Hope you get it cleared up tomorrow, can't see how they could protest this one.

I would ask the dealer straight out if this car has 'history' I know of an M that was stolen recovered and then sold as used two weeks later with NO details of it being so, and this was through a main dealer!

As earlier posts this could have easily been caused before you owned it and not picked up.

Good luck buddy......give em hell!

Marc
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #32
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hopefully they will just agree to fix it if not I will seek legal advise for sure .

This has put me off the car now and ruined my day big time .
Admittedly your confidence in the car will have dropped, but i'm sure after acouple of drives it'll start to feel positve again and then start enjoying it propperly
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Bloody hell, that arm looks pretty mangled. Mike, I'm glad to hear that you are okay as it look's really bad.

Given it's the passenger rear it could be anything from a slight kerbing or some kind of impact to the arm that over time would cause enough metal fatigue to make it fail. This could easily have easily have been before you bought it and not been visible to the naked eye until it failed. Given you have only driven 500 miles in it, then it's almost certain that this is the result of some previous damage/impact to the part. With time and added stress it was just a matter of time before it failed.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to see if anything has been swapped before you bought it that would indicate any previous suspension damage. The dates on the surrounding parts should be able to tell you if they are from the same batch or not. Any huge difference would indicate that something has been replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #34
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Bloody hell mate, glad your ok.

Hope you get it cleared up tomorrow, can't see how they could protest this one.

I would ask the dealer straight out if this car has 'history' I know of an M that was stolen recovered and then sold as used two weeks later with NO details of it being so, and this was through a main dealer!

As earlier posts this could have easily been caused before you owned it and not picked up.

Good luck buddy......give em hell!

Marc

Marc

Sytner showed me a full HPI report when I bought the car, 1 lady owner and no history what so ever , I wasn't over chuffed that its owner had been a Female though , no doisrespect intended .

I will be asking questions in the morning you can count on that.
      10-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #35
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
How the heck did that break? Im sure they will fix it up no problem though.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #36
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
How the heck did that break? Im sure they will fix it up no problem though.
I had just gone round a tight right hand bend at aroungd 60mph as I straightened up the car felt well out of control ,this is the result.
      10-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #37
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

I keep looking at those pics and don't you think its strange how the arm has bent right where the lip on the top dissapears? a weak point in the design maybe?
      10-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #38
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Bloody hell Mike, glad you're ok!!! Please don't dwell on the 'what ifs' it'll mess with your head. Concentrate on BMW sorting this shoddy mess and quickly.

From the pics. defo looks like metal fatigue and the arm appears to be of a pressed design, not the strongest method but cheaper. Really can't see how a small impact could lead to this major failure. The car should be built and able to withstand more than that. The stresses and forces that can be applied just cornering over an uneven surface are substantial, hence the cars components have to be built to withstand such forces.

Anyhow, best of luck getting it sorted ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #39
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I keep looking at those pics and don't you think its strange how the arm has bent right where the lip on the top dissapears? a weak point in the design maybe?
Yeh, the 2nd pic shows the split right in the middle of the unlipped part.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #40
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Bloody hell Mike, glad you're ok!!! Please don't dwell on the 'what ifs' it'll mess with your head. Concentrate on BMW sorting this shoddy mess and quickly.

From the pics. defo looks like metal fatigue and the arm appears to be of a pressed design, not the strongest method but cheaper. Really can't see how a small impact could lead to this major failure. The car should be built and able to withstand more than that. The stresses and forces that can be applied just cornering over an uneven surface are substantial, hence the cars components have to be built to withstand such forces.

Anyhow, best of luck getting it sorted ok.
Thanks for that Helen , just don't need this at the moment ,absolutely knackered from work just thought I would go and have a little play 5 mins later had to crawl Home .
      10-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #41
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
Yeh, the 2nd pic shows the split right in the middle of the unlipped part.
just what I was thinking ,why not carry the lip right through to the other end ?
      10-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #42
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
If I was you I'd insist on seeing the broken arm, and an explanation of how they think it has broken. Then post some pics and get some other opinions. Is it the Alu arm that has cracked/snapped, or an issue where the bushes etc. join the chassis?

Speculating, but it sounds like some specific damage to the arm causing it to fail - if you didn't do it, it begs the question as to whether it was damaged when you bought it. If its not been damaged, then'd you'd have to conclude it must be a manufacturing defect - which is a bit of a worry.

Was it an AUC car?
Whether it was AUC or not, it could have been involved in an accident.

Either way, its scary.. and im sure bmw wont really bother investigating, Just fix and say goodbye as he drives off

Quote:
Yes I am really upset about this now as I could of been killed I just don't get how this could bend like this ,its supposed to be a bloody thoroughbred for Gods sake ,the worst thing was also that I could not use the bmw assist as it told me I had to have it registered?

buddy, buddy, buddy...

thank god you were ok. This could have been nasty... but IT WASN'T.... Your ok and the car is Ok to an extent. Just needs repair work.. For sure a car should never in its whole serviceable life have a failure like this.

Thats all that matters right now. Now we need to know why the hell it failed...
      10-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #43
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Thanks Carl ,of course you are right ,I am ok and the car will get fixed but I am concerned about its road worthyness and I am going to request a full inspection of the car as I will reject it if it has been in a previous accident 100 %
      10-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #44
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Carl ,of course you are right ,I am ok and the car will get fixed but I am concerned about its road worthyness and I am going to request a full inspection of the car as I will reject it if it has been in a previous accident 100 %
I understand that, and stand by your ground for sure. It is very concerning for sure. Get a full independant check, and then decide what to do.