E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ready to wax

10-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
Momadness
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 328i coupe

Ready to wax

I had my car for 3 months now. It's always garaged. And used all the right washing tips. After every wash I have followed up with a QD. I have no swirls. Now I am ready to wax. I have not invested in a PC or Flex due to I am not sure I am ready to use it myself. I want to use a good wax and do it by hand, no clay. Is this the right move? Also what wax should I look into. I was thinking of the soft DooDoo wax from DI. Or do I need to do wax, glaze polish etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momadness View Post
I had my car for 3 months now. It's always garaged. And used all the right washing tips. After every wash I have followed up with a QD. I have no swirls. Now I am ready to wax. I have not invested in a PC or Flex due to I am not sure I am ready to use it myself. I want to use a good wax and do it by hand, no clay. Is this the right move? Also what wax should I look into. I was thinking of the soft DooDoo wax from DI. Or do I need to do wax, glaze polish etc.
Since you don't take it to automatic washes and seem to be following correct washing techniques (no swirls)...it sounds like you don't need to polish or need to buy a PC or Flex.

As for the issue on whether to clay or not...I am not a pro-detailer so I would not know the correct answer. In your shoes I would simply check to see if the paint felt smooth and if so wait to clay until 6 months. Then I would throw on a nice wax/sealant such as the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze by hand and be happy.

You could need a clay though if you park in dirty areas when you are away from the garage...

And I have never heard of DooDoo wax but it does sound soft...(I am trying DoDo wax in a few days so idk yet)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

you will want to clay. There are several threads on here of detailed cars that are brand new - even then, when the car is clayed there are lots of contaminants. Having driven your car for 3 months, you are going to have more. In any event, even if your contaminants were minimal, you will want to remove them so that you can create the best bond possible, either with a sealant or wax. This way you aren't simply just trapping them into the paint. If you really dont have any marring or are simply not interested in polishing at all, I would wash, clay, and then throw a coat of sealant on followed by one of your waxes of choice.

In any event - take the time and clay - and if you aren't going to polish, go get a very soft clay to prevent marring the paint.

BMW 335i - e92 Ordered: 4.23.08 Picked Up: 6.19.08
Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

IMO if you're claying, you really should do a fine polishing step. Claying can sometimes leave behind light marring making it necessary to add a polishing step. Even if your car is swirl free, a quality polish will still kick up the gloss a notch.

But if you don't clay, I would atleast use a chemical cleaner like Klasse AIO to clean the paint a bit before applying wax. As for wax, there's many alternatives and depends on what you're looking for.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

swissvax for wax.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Momadness
Private
Rep

thanks for all the info. Again it gets confusing. LOL so does claying strip some of the wax? If not than I guess I should clay than add a sealant, than a wax. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Using Meguiar's NXT 2.0 - liquid wax - just wax like you would normally do, and wipe off w/ MF towel...no residue! really good results too!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momadness View Post
thanks for all the info. Again it gets confusing. LOL so does claying strip some of the wax? If not than I guess I should clay than add a sealant, than a wax. Is this correct?

Clay will strip wax. The correct order with the products you listed above is:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Seal
4. Wax
      10-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
Clay will strip wax. The correct order with the products you listed above is:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Seal
4. Wax
i agree with this... although you dont have to use a sealant all the time. i use Jetseal 109 once every 6 months and then top it off with P21S carnauba wax... the other alternative is to skip the sealant and just wax every month or so which has worked fine for me too. i just clay then wax without doing the sealant. but since wax doesnt last as long as a sealant, you will have to wax more often.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Momadness
Private
Rep

thanks again for all the help. I will try that Nxt and clay magic. I should not get swirls from using MF towels when removing wax?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

use a quality MF - there are some that are created just for removing wax - and don't apply more pressure than you need. Let the MF do the work for ya.

BMW 335i - e92 Ordered: 4.23.08 Picked Up: 6.19.08
Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0