E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Blistein B4 Shock Absorbers - Yes Or No?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
aydan9879
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation Blistein B4 Shock Absorbers - Yes Or No?

Hi all,

I have a BMW 320D M Sport Edition 2008 and it's time to replace the rear shock absorbers. What would you recommend in the mid-price range?

BMW Dealership want to charge 217.90 for 1x Saches.
But I've come across Blistein B4's for 53 from Demontweeks. Firstly will these fit the m sport edition E90 and what's the general feedback about Blistein B4's?
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia211.50

      03-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
blau iii
First Lieutenant
49
Rep
325
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

I just went through this on my 335 m sport. make sure you get the right shocks for the m-sport suspension. I was very happy with the b4's. i didn't replace the springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
ppointer
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2000 323it, '01 Z3M, '11 335i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: FLL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydan9879 View Post
Hi all,

I have a BMW 320D M Sport Edition 2008 and it's time to replace the rear shock absorbers. What would you recommend in the mid-price range?

BMW Dealership want to charge 217.90 for 1x Saches.
But I've come across Blistein B4's for 53 from Demontweeks. Firstly will these fit the m sport edition E90 and what's the general feedback about Blistein B4's?
I have B4s on my e46 wagon. Love them.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
212
Rep
362
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 328i 6MT TiAG/Black
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: OC California :/

iTrader: (1)

Everything I've read indicates that B4s are the lower-quality dual tube shocks while the B6 is the higher-quality monotube shock. B6 would work with stock standard and sport springs. (B8 is for lowering springs.)

Oh, your "Sport" suspension is probably superior to ours, so might double check that the B4 or B6 will be happy with your European market sport springs. Probably fine.

On this side of the pond, the B6 is more expensive than the B4 but cheaper than the OE Sachs dampers. I'm not sure what the price difference will be for you... Bilstein stock is on backorder for US market and likely for UK as well ("Logistical issues in Germany" they told me)
Appreciate 1
FCobra941885.50

      03-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
blau iii
First Lieutenant
49
Rep
325
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

There's B4 shocks for the m sport and ones for the regular suspension. def an upgrade over stock. the b6 stateside won't work for the msport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:11 AM   #6
avocet
Captain
47
Rep
987
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
There's B4 shocks for the m sport and ones for the regular suspension. def an upgrade over stock. the b6 stateside won't work for the msport suspension.
Why not? They work with mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
blau iii
First Lieutenant
49
Rep
325
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

the msport has shorter springs. could impact the shocks longevity using the wrong length spring/shock. might just as well work. just what I recall reading from my research.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
FCobra94
Brigadier General
FCobra94's Avatar
1886
Rep
4,069
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
the b6 stateside won't work for the msport suspension.
B6 works just fine on my D8 springs...as mentioned, B8s are now what's recommended by Bilstein though (they changed their stance on this a short while back).
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
MHD E60|Alpina Flash|Stg 2 LPFP|VRSF 7"FMIC-DP-CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI
Bilstein B6|Dinan Camber Plates|E93 M3 FSB-LCA-Guide Rods|Manzo Toe Arms|HPS 5.0
Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/20 F/R spacers
Appreciate 2
Phyrexia211.50
tlow98675.00

      04-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #9
blueloco
New Member
6
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Uggg. I replaced original struts at 83k miles with B4's and am not exactly ecstatic with their performance. The ride and handling have improved, but marginally and it feels just mushy at best. My local roads are really bad, frost heaves, pot holes etc with no escape, so for that reason alone I chose the B4's as anything more aggressive I was figuring (based on reports here) would beat the hell out of me and the car. Now second guessing....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
133
Rep
778
Posts

Drives: '01 E39 540iA
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Metro Detroit

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueloco View Post
Uggg. I replaced original struts at 83k miles with B4's and am not exactly ecstatic with their performance. The ride and handling have improved, but marginally and it feels just mushy at best. My local roads are really bad, frost heaves, pot holes etc with no escape, so for that reason alone I chose the B4's as anything more aggressive I was figuring (based on reports here) would beat the hell out of me and the car. Now second guessing....
They're OE replacements and the stock non-sport suspension is somewhat mushy. How was the car before the factory shocks were worn?
__________________
E90 LCI N54 M-Sport : JB4 G5 - CP w/Tial BoV - 193M Wheels | E90 Technical Docs download: http://j.mp/bmwe90docs *good read, very detailed.
Appreciate 1
FCobra941885.50

Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2008, blistein, bmw, shock absorber

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST