E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 Rear Track/Toe Control Arms

03-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Ginobass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe

E92 Rear Track/Toe Control Arms

The last time I had an alignment the dealer SA told me that the driver's side rear camber could not be adjusted because the eccentric bolt was frozen. The camber was, conveniently, in spec but he said the arm would need to be replaced eventually should the camber need adjusting. He gave me a quote which of course was $$$$, I took a pass.

I am going to be replacing my struts and shocks when I get the car out of storage (someday....still winter here ), car has 63K and one strut has a minor leak. I was considering replacing the TCAs with aftermarket adjustable ones from Megan and lose the whole eccentric bolt thing.

Has anyone else done so? Any insight into this idea? I can get a new pair for about two and a quarter.

Sorry if I confused toe and camber, these arms are called different things by BMW, parts places, so on. Confusing.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

If tech couldn't adjust the camber eccentric bolt then that was on the lower control arm and there isn't aftermarket replacement as Megan and such. Only way to get rid of the eccentric bolt there is to get camber lockdown kit. VWEtish sells these kits. If tech couldn't adjust toe then you could get aftermarket replacement like Megan but still must use the eccentric bolt unless you get toe lockdown kit. The kit uses shims with 14mm bolt for camber and shims with 12mm bolt for toe. Anyhow, I live in IL and winter are harsh. The eccentric bolts rust but penetrating oil day or two before you work on it helps a lot. If that doesn't work then torch would.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Instead of toe arms (which would require removing the bolt anyway to install) why would they not just remove the bolt as though installing toe arms...

And then install a new bolt. Wouldn’t that be like $5?

If you can get within spec with frozen bolt just get a new bolt. This whole thread makes no sense. The only reason to get arms IMO would be if the eccentric bolt couldn’t get you into spec, like if you were dropped too low on aftermarket springs for example. You would be buying parts you don’t need for no real benefit.

Last edited by Biginboca; 03-16-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Ginobass
Private
Rep

Feuer, thank you for that information. So the lower control arm is for camber and the track control arm is for toe. I live in Western New York and winters are miserable, the roads get the hell salted out of them. I bought the car used and though I myself never drove it in winter I can't speak for before I owned it.

When I pull it out of storage next month I will address the issue. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Ginobass
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Instead of toe arms (which would require removing the bolt anyway to install) why would they not just remove the bolt as though installing toe arms...

If you can get within spec with frozen bolt just get a new bolt. This whole thread makes no sense. The only reason to get arms IMO would be if the eccentric bolt couldn’t get you into spec, like if you were dropped too low on aftermarket springs for example. You would be buying parts you don’t need for no real benefit.
I don't know why they did what they did. Even thought the bolt was frozen it was still in spec - for now. Apparently they didn't want to deal with the frozen bolt, yeah I know it's like $5. Perhaps they figured it they effed up the arm trying to free the bolt they have to eat it. Perhaps that's why they offered to replace the whole shebang for like $700.

Sorry the thread doesn't make sense to you, appreciate your input just the same. Feuer's explanation cleared up my confusion regarding toe/camber and what does what so to me the thread was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
Whinodez
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post

+1 Cut the bolt off and install a new eccentric bolt, no need for a new camber arm. If the camber is where you want it make sure to the position and put the new one in the same position
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Given the low miles and everything is within your desired specs, leave it all alone. Just swap out struts/shocks and all accompanying pieces.

I can tell you right now that if you try and attack those arms (especially the toe arms) given how stuck the eccentric bolt is, you'll likely regret it.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Given the low miles and everything is within your desired specs, leave it all alone. Just swap out struts/shocks and all accompanying pieces.

I can tell you right now that if you try and attack those arms (especially the toe arms) given how stuck the eccentric bolt is, you'll likely regret it.
+1 ^ Also very easy to strip the tread on the hub side.
Appreciate 1