E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Thoughts on DCI install

01-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Thoughts on DCI install

Just finished my BMS dual cone intake install and just thought I\'d give a few thoughts on the DIY guide.

Firstly, take the whole cowl off - it was the easiest part of the install and I think it\'d be nearly impossible without doing it. I removed the 3 wire channels from the wire guide, but didn\'t bother removing the 4th channel that is at the back - there was enough give in it to move the cowl out of the way.

This part took me the longest time out of all - there are three rubber spacers attached to the rear airbox intake pipe. I tried wiggling them up with my hand, but with very limited success. Technique that worked best in the end was to use a stubby flat head screwdriver. Using the intake pipe as a pivot I wedged up the rubber plugs a bit at a time until each one popped off.

Final thing was the airbox removal. It does say to pull up from the engine side of the airbox, but you really need to pull and wiggle it and shake the box. Itll pop off it\'s holders eventually, and only then will you be able to release it fully from the accordion intake tubes.

So, not much extra to the guide, but hope that makes someone\'s job a little easier!!

Off now to hear what it sounds like!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Nice let us know what you think of it mate.

I am not really keen on installing DCI's as I dont really want extra turbo/intake noise.
But only having a drop in filter with ambitions of running the stage 2 + fmic Cobb maps may not be good the the engine. Volume of air probably needs a boost, so toying with options such a the 'mr 5' intake, but want a spare stock air box to mutilate to keep an OEM one for resale

Anyone know of other decent options for intake?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

So far, on only a stock map and only part throttle - no change in noise. Think the real change will occur when the boost goes up, so a post Cobb update will be required!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Boz335i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Firstly, take the whole cowl off - it was the easiest part of the install and I think it'd be nearly impossible without doing it.
I've done it with the cowl in place, but you need a decent, long magnetic flat blade screwdriver to do it. It wasn't too bad, agreed that it's a lot easier removing the cowl.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
any videos guys?!.....the noise must be nice!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089
any videos guys?!.....the noise must be nice!
Honestly not enough sound difference to notice so a sound clip at this stage wouldn't help much - I might do a before and after one when the accessport arrives to see how that affects the sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Guys, make sure you don't push the metal tubes too far into the cone. You will lose power and wont sound as good.

2.5cm max
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil@JuicedUpTuning
Guys, make sure you don't push the metal tubes too far into the cone. You will lose power and wont sound as good.

2.5cm max
Aye, I'd seen a post by someone before (possibly yourself) mentioning that - makes it a bugger to squeeze both cones in though!
Appreciate 0