E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 Steering Rack Swap

03-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #155
bbnks2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Use an assistant to hold the wheel straight.
At work i nick the wheel alignment wheel holder
ah good point I didn't realize that was what he was saying... yeah locking the wheel would help. Tie rod adjustment can be used to dial out a small variance during alignment.
135i: E30 map by TwistedTuning, VRSF DP, Kerscher +15mm fenders, Kosei K8R 255/40/17, M3 control arms, UUC trans mounts, DV+, Whiteline RSFB, 5" intercooler, Charge Pipe, PC925 (23lb), UUC SSK, YCW Coilovers 6k/16k, Monroe shock mounts, Diff lockdown, Catch Can, N20 TMAP, 335is clutch, SMFW, 034 engine mounts, M3 Steering rack
Appreciate 1
feuer2268.50

03-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #156
thetaobear
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Crimson Red

How to install M3 steering rack correctly

Fantastic- thank you guys for the awesome replies.

The steering wheel is now straight and the rack is centered.

[IMPORTANT!]
FYI for everybody else who is thinking about doing this mod. In my 2009 135i (no servo.), the steering angle is actually different from the M3 steering rack (sourced from a 2008 E93 M3). What this means is that you need to find the center of the rack, cut the plastic tab, and make sure your steering column (or wheel) is at center and place at the right angle at the connection between the column and rack.

1. the M3 steering rack markers (even the arrow to the number that looks exactly like that black arrow attached to the splines) don't mean jack. Use end-to-end method to find the center. What I have done is push the rack to the left end then mark where the arrow is, and push the rack to the right end then mark where the arrow is. About a bit over 1 turn, put the arrow right at the mid-arc between the two markers [first picture below]. (this is a lot more accurate than counting rotations).

2. align that black arrow (which is opposite of the tab) [marked in red in the second photo] to the center [another angle as shown in the third photo]. Sanity check by looking at your tie rods and see if they are approx. the same length (this maybe different if your tie rods are adjusted).

3. cut the tab as [dotted red in 4th image]

4. when attaching the steering column, make sure [green arrow of 5th image] is aligned to where your previous steering column is centered. For me, my center line fo the column is show in the green arrow of the [6th image].

5. To attach the steering column to the rack, to make things easier, lube the splines up a bit and use a screw driver to widen the steering column slit a bit. Have one person doing a bench press below the rack to push it up. Have a second person positioned near the steering wheel with one hand on the right and one hand on the column. Make sure that the steering column arrow [5th image] is aligned with [6th image] before using force to push the steering column onto the rack flush.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
feuer2268.50
Biginboca308.50